Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlsch

Family Photo displays

jlsch
15 years ago

I have wanted to do a wall display of family photos for a long time but am not sure where to put them. I'd like to do a large display to include both very old photos (great grandparents) and my own family. Where do you have this kind of display and if you have photos I'd love to see them. wig

Comments (20)

• parma42
    15 years ago

I agree with suzieca. The hallway seems like a great place for family photos and then they don't "take over" a room. Of course, I was raised by a decorator who wouldn't have any in the house so my judgement is a bit clouded :).

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I have a long hallway, off my kitchen where there is a bathroom then garage door and cupboard. Along the wall I have laminated photos of family and friends. I think I have had more interest in these than anything else in my home.

• alex9179
    15 years ago

I've started putting mine in the hall to the private rooms (bedrooms and baths). I have several short walls and am kind of dividing them by branch of family old photos and a grouping of current family pics. The sections themselves aren't in any order, just the groupings. I'm using sepia and black and whites. I have color pictures in frames that sit on a piece of furniture and also sitting in the guest bedrooms.

My cousin has a half bath off the kitchen and she devoted the entire wall you face while seated to family photos. Her's are all mixed and she used black, though differing styled, frames. That wall always makes me smile!

My aunt has a large grouping on the stairwell wall going down to her basement.

One of grandmothers has them in her den/tv room, which had been a spare bedroom. The other at the top of the stairs to the guest rooms.

Seems to be a trend to put personal photos in the more private/family use areas with my relatives. I'm thinking of incorporating some into my laundry room. It needs SOMETHING to make me want to go in there! Some pet portraits might be nice in there, too.

• rhapsdy
    15 years ago

I just finished working on this kind of project for my parents! We redid their hallway with two large framed displays of family photographs, old and new. Below is the link to my blog which documented the progress, but also here are two of my mock ups I did on the computer that helped me figure out which size prints, frames, and wall words I needed! :)

Also, here is a link to my flickr album documenting the entire process:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55463415@N00/sets/72157603706869925/

Be sure to show us your final project when you finish it! :D

Here is a link that might be useful: link to my blog documenting the hallway display

• teacats
    15 years ago

rhapsdy -- What an incredible project -- from start to finish! A brillant way to organize, setup and work out the logistics of hanging those photos -- and the wall words too! A very kind and thoughtful gift to your parents!

Well done indeed!~ :)

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Rhapsdy - what a wonderful project!!!!!! That's a keeper & a super gift idea for my sister.

Here's my picture wall:

I opened up my DR table & laid them all out w/in the perimeter & then hung them.

I've seen that there is a kit that you can get w/ everything that you would need including frames and diagram plans for hanging. Candice Olsen has used it a few times on Divine Design.

• jlsch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rhapsdy, thanks so much for your link to the process! Ttodd, I also love yours. I like the use of various black frames as it seems like it adds some interest and depth. Thanks for sharing! Now I'll have to see if I can find the kits you referenced.

• rhapsdy
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments! The hallway walls were a LOT of work but ended up turning out just how I wanted and my parents absolutely adore them, specifically my mom. :) BTW: I HIGHLY recommend command adhesive picture hanging strips for hanging frames on the wall. I don't know HOW I would have done this project without them as I never put nails in the right places the first time!

Oh btw: I have the company that makes the complete kits for hanging a group of pictures on the wall. They come with the frames, the layout kit, and they even let you print out art work to put in the frames I think (or at least they used too!)

Look at the link below my post to go see them! They are called Perfect Picture Wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo Frame Wall Kit

• rhapsdy
    15 years ago

oh! BTW: ttodd - I love your photo wall! In fact i have it saved in my favorites as inspiration. :) I specifically love the use of different black frames and all black and white images. :)

• california_dreamer
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting that link to the Kit. I think I could actually accomplish this type of project if I had that! Something new to add to my "wish list". :)

• neetsiepie
    15 years ago

I also put my display in the hall. I went with black picture frames, too. I think having uniform frames ties them all together better and they don't overwhelm the room like it did when they were all in different frames.

• jlsch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Have any of you used the photo frame wall kit that is linked? Just wanting to move forward with this and wondering if the price is comparable to what one would pay if you bought the frames locally? Also wondering what the quality of the frames was like. wig

• california_dreamer
    15 years ago

Just a quick update about the Perfect Picture Wall Kit. I ordered it last week and already put it up. It is so easy! It literally took less than 30 minutes (and a good portion of that was spent reading the directions so I wouldn't screw up!).
    At first I thought $350 seemed a little pricey, but the frames are nice and the template, mounting instructions and ease of use make it well worth the money.
    Thanks so much to the PP who posted the link.
    Of course I haven't added my own photos to the frames yet . . . But at least they are up!

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

I know this thread is ancient, but since rhapsdy's picture is blowing up Pinterest, I have to ask in case she/he is still around here:

How did you plan out the arrangement? Did you use a program online or some software?

• reeceanne
    8 years ago

I would like to know where you found the saying to go on the wall and what it is made of.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

Her blog is closed down, but here is a link to one of the wall decals she used. I found it by googling the saying and adding "decal" so you may be able to find the other one the same way, or maybe it's on this site, too. Wall decals

• arcy_gw
    8 years ago

The big box craft stores sell these wall decals/words as well as picture wall systems and a myriad of frames. For years I had all the 5x7s of my three kids age 6most to 8th grade up on a wall in my bedroom. This year we FINALLY removed the wall paper and I replaced them with three LARGE "dorm" photo collage frames. I know have a wall of memories that have lived in my mind but never saw the light of day from our albums. I have seen these "walls" done in stair wells, halls,"libraries", TV rooms...