Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

Funny how things you didn't plan for...

sjhockeyfan325
9 years ago

I'm home awaiting the delivery of our new sectional and swivel chair (we've been waiting six months so this is a very big day!). To get ready, we took apart the existing sectional, turned the rug around, and moved two old rattan Pottery Barn chairs out of the way. Well, you would think I had gotten all new furniture! The rug looks better in this orientation, the room looks bigger, the piece which used to hide behind the couch to hold lamps and vases looks good out in the open, and most of all, we now know for sure where to put "extra" chairs. Eventually, all of those things will be new, but for now, what a difference!

Comments (7)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

We need before, intermediate, and after pictures! :D

I love the look of sparse rooms. If it were up to me, I'd just have a couple of chairs in my small living room. Sofas and loveseats just seem to dominate a room and make me feel closed in.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, at this point, I only have"intermediate" :-).

The existing sectional, coffee table and end table were bought used as a temporary solution - when we moved out of our long-time home, we got rid off almost every stick of furniture. It was old and we were tired of it, plus we wanted to go much more contemporary this time around. We had always promised each other we'd redecorate when we moved, but we weren't going to seriously decorate the rental we were in for 10 months. Now we're settled in, remodeling is mostly done, so we get to buy new furniture. As I said, we ordered the new sectional in December! Couldn't get a rug, or paint the wall, or really anything until the sectional is here. I'm okay at picking individual pieces I like, but terrible at putting it all together, so we'll need help. The room is half of a great room the living room half measures about 21x18 and the kitchen/dining room half measures about 21 x 22. The picture is of the living room half.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

We did a major reno on our 2nd home. At one point, I went down to check on the progress and couldn't believe how fabulous it looked with just better window and door trim and baseboards. I thought "oh no, maybe all it needed was better trim and I've ripped out the kitchen and baths!" I was even more thrilled with the completed project but it is funny how the interim steps can be so fresh and new and pleasing.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new stuff. It's a cool looking room.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Congrats on your new furniture!

My Mom had a similar experience. She had furniture oriented one way for many years - sofa and love seat in an L, two chairs opposite. One day, on a whim, we swapped the love seat with a chair, and the difference was amazing! The old way, the love seat was hardly used; the new way, it became the favorite place to sit.

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

We just removed four fluorescent box lights and a ceiling fan from one room and replaced them with recessed lights and a smaller fan. We're amazed at how much it changed the feel of the room dimensions! The ceiling feels a foot taller, and the long skinny room seems much wider and more balanced.

The room makeover has hit a few snags and is taking much longer (and a lot more $$$$) than we planned, but I think we're going to be very happy with the results when it's done. It's great to see how some of the smaller changes so far are making such a dramatic difference.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

this is why I constantly move things around in my house; makes me feel like I bought all new stuff!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I think that's called, "shopping from your own home!"