Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Lost message re: gold/yellow

CEFreeman
9 years ago

Hi all!
I saved a message regarding someone finding the "perfect yellow-gold color" and was going back to read it again.

Forum changes over the years have made it a dead link.

I'm in the market for a yellow that would be almost Dijon. Everything I'm finding is too orange in my enclosed bathroom. i.e. no natural light.

I'm in the process of reading the color threads here, but in the meanwhile, if anyone wanted to chime in and get me going in a good direction, I'm all ears!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments (14)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Was it this thread?

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Paint Thread

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Is this it?

Here is a link that might be useful: yellows like dijon

• theclose
    9 years ago

We used BM Concord Ivory in two former apartments. Similar to a mustard gold yellow.

• justretired
    9 years ago

BM Chestertown Buff is definitely Dijony. We have it in our north facing family room which is off of a three season porch so absolutely no sun in there!

I have liked the color for about 7 years but am contemplating a change. Mostly because there are so many color choices to be had:)

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I don't consider BM Concord Ivory to be a Dijon color. It's more of a sunny yellow.

My current home has BM Decatur Buff which has more of a gold cast to it. I held a jar of my Dijon mustard up to the wall and it's a close match. I'll post a photo in the next post since I can only post one at a time.

Here BM Concord Ivory in my previous home.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

BM Decatur Buff

• theclose
    9 years ago

@newhome, looks much yellower in your home than it did in mine. Lighting is everything. Here it is in my two different homes.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

That is odd. Here it is in other rooms of that house. Looked the same in my sisters house, also.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Sisters House. Sorry about the balloon faced grandchildren portrait. :)

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've got 13 or 14 samples on the wall right now, but am printing this to get more samples! LOL

mamorella, concord Ivory is just that, a yellow mustard. Lovely, but not remotely Dijon.

Chestertown and Decatur Buff are ones I'm going to try. NewHomeBuilder, that was actually my thought: to take a jar of mustard to the store to match!

There are a bunch I'm taking with me to the store, since their pictures still show in the different threads. Most of the pictures are now dead links, but some are lovely.
    EK camel hair
    SW Golden Fleece.

Edited to add colors I've tried:
    BM 'Da Vinci's Canvas'
    BM 'Vellum'
    A Glidden custom match to a discontinued Ralph Lauren dull yellow. Love it, but too yellow
    MS 'Sisal' Love it, but in another room.
    BM 'Northampton Putty'
    BM 'Hawthorne'
    BM 'Bronzed Beige' (beautiful! but too yellow)
    BM 'Concord Ivory' (where's the ivory part?)
    BM 'Stuart Gold'
    CeCe Caldwell's 'California Gold'
    CeCe Caldwell's '(something) Ochre'
    Annie Sloan's 'Old Ochre'
    Old Century Paint 'Tavern Yellow'
    Old Century Paint 'Olde Mustard'

So as you can see, I'm really reaching outside the box, since SW matches so well. (I have a DirectBuy discount at SW, which is substantial.)

I'll be sure to let you know what I end up with, and pictures of what the color ends up doing in my bathroom. :) In the meanwhile, thanks so much for the eye candy -- even the purple balloon heads!

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 11:38

• nhb22
    9 years ago

For our previous home, Hawthorne was similar to Concord Ivory, only brighter. We thought too bright . Agree with you on why DB is called Ivory???

For us, Chestertown Buff was a forerunner before deciding on the Decatur Buff Chestertown Buff was a little too beige for us, though. Stuart Gold was too dark a gold.

Good luck!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I vote for the Decatur Buff!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

SW dromedary camel is pretty dijon-like- (at least like the grey poupon brand! :)...
    i don't know if they have current paint chips of it anymore, but they still mix it because i just repainted a hallway in it- i had originally painted it nearly 10 yrs ago that color- there were color chips then... it's definitely more gold than yellow tho...