Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumble_doodle

Where/how do you shop for sofas?

bumble_doodle
14 years ago

Do you buy high-end, middle of the road or low end and replace/update often?

We purchased a "middle of the road" sofa eight years ago when we bought our house. Within 9 months the cushions had to be replaced. The upholstery has worn away and it's discolored/ripped. This is basic war and tear from two adults, no children.

So, does anyone have any recommendations as to where to begin? Is it possible to find a sofa that will stay in decent shape for ten years? Yes, I've heard the saying 'you get what you pay for', but do you ever really get what you pay for? If the life expectancy of a sofa is only 3-5 years then I certainly do no want to buy 'high end'.

Any advice wold be greatly appreciated.

Comments (25)

• barb5
    14 years ago

My henredon lasted 25 years until the constant digging of a small dog for 3 years wore through the seat cushion. I thought long and hard about reupholstering the couch, but finally decided it was always a tad too big for my present LR. I am replacing it with a Southwood sofa which I am told is made in USA with hardwood frame, dowel construction, 8 way hand tied springs. I also looked at Sherrill sofas, Lee sofas, and Henredons.

If I had gone with different fabric, it would have cost more, so I am glad I was able to find a fabric that I liked in the less expensive grade. My philosophy is to buy the best quality that you can afford and keep it. We don't plan to move again (until it gets time for the nursing home) and I am not the type to change decor every few years.

I am hoping that this sofa will last 25 years too. The henredon is up in the attic. I just couldn't bear to junk it. I am thinking I will reupholster it for DS's first apartment, if he wants it.

Goodluck on your search. It took me about a year to finally decide what to do about the sofa. I am glad the decision is finally made.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Why, antique stores, of course!

• mimi_2006
    14 years ago

Hey bumble :-) My philosophy is to just stick with a good manufacturer. I got a Thomasville about 3 years ago that is so far still looking new. I consider Thomasville to be above average but not top of the line. I'm sure planning on it lasting at least 15 years or so. Who knows, it might last much longer, but I figure by then I wouldn't mind so much replacing it if necessary. My mom had a couch that wouldn't die...oh wait, she still has it...lol.

• johnmari
    14 years ago

I went middle-of-the-road (Flexsteel) because that's what we could afford. Sectionals are blasted expensive, especially the small-scale ones we needed due to our tiny, oddly proportioned living room. I "butt-tested" a couple of cheaper ones and they just felt, well, cheap. Flimsy. Since DH and I tend to sit in the same spots I switch the cushions around when I remember to so they'll wear more evenly, but I do expect that the cushion insides will need to be replaced every few years because we're not skinny people and so seat cushions squash down eventually. Even the spendy Bradington-Young couch that preceded this one needs its cushions replaced and it's been about 7 years since we bought it (although it hasn't been getting daily use for about 1 1/2 years). The cushions should have been replaced about 3 years ago and the springs should probably be retied but we just didn't get around to doing it and now there are far more important things to spend money on.

As for where/how I shopped, I hunted online for weeks for something with the correct size, style, and proportions to fit our needs, found a few possibilities, and called local dealers that carried them so I could see them or at least something similar by the same maker IRL before ordering. I also checked out the brand over on the Furniture forum, since folks over there tend not to pull their punches. I did not go the North Carolina route even though it would have been about 10-15% cheaper because with such a large purchase (for us anyway) I want to be able to go get face-to-face with a human being if there's a problem.

Flexsteel's main line is made in the USA; their Latitudes line is made in China and looks it.

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

I'm with barb ;o) We just purchased a Clayton Marcus sectional. It's made in the US, kiln-dried hardwood frames, hand-tied 8-way springs and a lifetime warranty (cushions are warrantied for 5-7 years, which is better than standard). I found a lower price point fabric, as well, which we love. It's a slubbed chenille, very soft to the hand, and in the color we wanted (navy blue with a slate cast). I searched high and low for a smaller sectional with the features and quality we wanted in the price range we had (up to $2500). Many folks suggested that that price range is "low to mid" range, but that's the most we could afford without breaking the bank. It's beautifully made and we're very pleased.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

My parents taught me to buy the best quality I could afford in a piece of furniture, to buy something that would last. If that means saving until you can do that, so be it. My hubby and I have pretty much held to that. I don't think you have to buy the most $$$ sofa to buy one of good quality. We prefer to find something that is going to last some time. Our current great room sofa is 10 years old - getting close to 11 and it looks pretty close to how it looked when we bought it. The cushions are getting to be just a bit less poofy/fluffy (whatever) and I could have then refilled. We did purchase the stain protective treatment but it's never really had anything spilled on it. I am almost to the point of wanting a new one or having this one recovered. Haven't really looked or compared the pricing of the two yet.

We generally go with good quality furniture lines, and I have yet to buy a sofa off the floor. I have always ordered in a fabric of my choice. Some manufacturers will have a large selection of fabrics, others are very limited.

My grandmother and my parents both have sofas that are 20-30 years plus having been reupholstered but still look great. That is quality.

I adore antiques and we have many, but very few upholstered pieces.

tina

• akrogirl
    14 years ago

DH and I have Ekornes leather/teak sofas in our family room and living rooms. DH bought both sets back in 1991 and they have held up extremely well. We only now getting to the stage where we may have to look into the possibility of replacing some cushions. I also love the back support provided by these sofas. If we ever need to replace them, we will probably go with Ekornes again.

• walkin_yesindeed
    14 years ago

I'm with Oceanna -- because, as barb notes, they usually have hardwood frames (kiln-dried is best -- not sure whether antiques give you that kind of specificity), hand-tied springs, and were made to last rather than to fall apart. If you can find new stuff built to those specifications, buy. If you can't, find a solid antique, buy good upholstery fabric for it on Ebay, and you'll wind up with a sturdy sofa, prob. less than the price of buying new. (Not much less, but the quality will be higher than the majority of the new stuff out there.)

Check over at the Furniture Forum on this. There's an old thread called something like Furniture 101 that will help you get up to speed quickly.

• Jeannine
    14 years ago

Craiglist is also a good place to look.

I'm trying to unload my custom made queen sleeper sofa right now and I'm asking less than 1/3 the original cost.

Amazing that someone I had made in my 20s is more formal than what I want in my 30s (I want slipcovers now)!

• kristine_ca
    14 years ago

I vote w/the go for quality crowd. Our Ethan Allen sofa has been getting hard wear in the family room for 10 years and it still looks great! It probably has some relation to the upholstery chosen, though--ours is pretty tough.

• trk65
    14 years ago

We are from the 3-5 year group on sofas. A 3 year old and a dog have a lot to do with this. We try not to buy junk but honestly if it is comfortable and looks like we will get 5 years out of it that works for us.
    It also enables us to redecorate more frequently-at, say, $750 spread over 5 years I can buy 3 different sofas over a 15 year period as opposed to one $2500 piece that may hold up structurally but will still look worn and need either deep cleaning or recovering a few times during its lifespan.
    We have the total opposite attitude when it comes to casegoods-I want to buy exactly what I want, buy the best quality I can afford, and keep it as long as I can.

• robin_g
    14 years ago

akrogirl

I want an Ekornes in the worst way, but the on-line reviews--the few out there--are not good. Apparently the motion mechanizsms break easily. Is yours a "stressless" (motion) sofa? I sat in one in TX just before we moved and fell in love but now I can't find a dealer to retest.

Robin

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

After spending too much money on a few sofas that fell apart after a few years, I want something that will last. I don't get bored with my furniture and don't feel the need to replace things very often, so I typically spend as much as I can afford on quality pieces. Our leather living room couches were bought at half off when a local store was going out of business, and they still look/feel the same as they did 7 years ago. The trick is to make sure you buy something classic (e.g., my expensive down-filled pale blue leather sofas purchased in the 90's lasted too long - when I sold them for a fraction of their cost they were still in great condition).

I'm looking for a sofa now (and leather recliners that don't look like recliners, if anyone knows where to find well made ones at a decent price) and found a store that manufacturers their sofas (and chairs) locally at a price that's 1/2 to 1/3 less than the Restoration Hardware couches that I was considering (the slip covered English roll-arm or Grand).

They're 8-way hand-tied, custom made to order, and I was able to visit the store today to make sure they looked as good in person as they did online. They do - and very comfortable also! It's just a small shop in an industrial area, so I'm sure that's how they keep their costs down. They had the English roll-arm couch on display covered in a lovely blue linen and it had great lines, and I think that's the one I'll end up purchasing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sofa Craft

• twizzis
    14 years ago

I owned a Massaud for about 12 years and it wore like iron with my 3 kids. I replaced it with a Taylor-King...even superior!

• oceanna
    14 years ago

I'm with Walkin' and Barb. To tell more, I bought my antique sofa and chair about 30 years ago for $300 out of the basement of an antique store. They were *filthy* and disgusting but had great bones. I recovered them myself the first time. I can't remember what the fabric (a peach-toned dusty rose velvet) cost but it wasn't much. A few months ago I had them professionally reupholstered. They are done in yummy mohair velvet (I got a super deal on eBay). They're "new" because they have all new padding inside, no old cooties. The upholsterer did any necessary repairs.

Buy antiques you love, because they appreciate. Many of the newer pieces will depreciate. I would not hesitate to look in CL and in thrift stores, and in antique stores, find the shape I love, and have them professionally reupholstered. If it's old and it's still sturdy, it's built well. A lot of the newer stuff is junk.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Oceanna, do you have a photo online? Would love to see.

I've bought estate sale sofas, garage sale sofas, new sofas. If you can find a classic style with good bones used, and have a good upholsterer, you can get something custom without paying more than a middle of the road new sofa. My last and current sofa is Flexsteel. I did a lot of research, sat on a lot of cushions, and brought home about 2 dozen fabric samples from 3 stores before buying. I did some online research too. With a sale price, I paid about $1300+ about 8 years ago. I got a better quality fabric to stand up to child and dog abuse. I paid an extra hundred bucks for Guardian fabric protection and have not yet had to use it. The sofa still feels good, is supportive, and looks new. I may need to replace the foam in the seats next year so it will plump up a bit. We lay on it, sit on it, dogs jump on it, eat on it, and generally live on it. Love it. Love the Flexsteel steel frame construction. By the way, the 'life' of a sofa under Calif rules, is 7 years. Mine is going strong and I would most definitely consider another Flexsteel. Plus, the attached back cushions and 3 cushion seat style lend themselves to staying attractive and comfortable longer than some other styles.

The moss sofa in forefront of photo is my Flexsteel. You can see how the seat and back cushions have their shape still. You don't see the slight camelback style, or the nailhead trim, or the bun wood feet. But those are personal style issues and I think you are going for longevity. In the back of the room is my 40 year old rattan sofa, bought through an ad in the newspaper. It had a lovely pink and mauve and green and white floral swirl print from maybe the early 70's. Nice. I had it recovered about 4 years ago in a sale chenille in a moss bronze color. It's all cushion styling. But again, the frame was great and worth recovering.

Red

• casajakada
    14 years ago

I'd second the CL idea for reupholstering if you can find something in your area that is of good quality. Reupholstering isn't inexpensive but it can be well worth it if the frame is good. When it comes to fabric, take into consideration how much use the sofa gets and buy something sturdy. With only two adults and no children, you should easily get ten years out of a sofa or longer until you have to reupholster if you buy decent fabric. I've seen fabrics that are listed at $100 yard for 1/4 to 1/3 that price online.

I spent far more on our everyday sofa than I did for the one in our loft area. Although I did find one for the loft at Macy's that had a lifetime guarantee on the frame and cushions for only $799. It is one of their biggest sellers and so very comfortable that I find it a great place to curl up with a book or for a nap.

There are a couple places here in NC that I've worked with from both out of state and local that are deeply discounted. If you want more info, let me know. You can easily save up to 50% or more on quality furniture.

• User
    14 years ago

The couches in my living room, which get sat on maybe 2 times a year, naturally look brand new.
    In the family room which we use heavily, I have tried different scenarios. The last ones were better quality- as far as form etc but the fabric did not hold up well and was really pitifully worn. The shape and cusions though were looking good. (Reupholstery though is too pricey in my book). The current couch/loveseat is a Thomasville in a beautiful tone on tone denim. I got it about 8 or nine years ago and the fabric is great- but in the past 2 years or so the cushions really have gotten sorry looking. I am really disappointed in that I expected them to last better.
    So I guess now I thinking that whether it's the fabric or the form, one of them is just not likely to be looking terrific after 8 years. That estimate of 7 years is probably a good one. While the couch might last a lot longer, in my experience (and we are NOT gentle people though our dogs are not allowed in the family room so I can't blame them)-things might last but not look terrific.
    I am trying to decide whether to complain to Thomasville - or just slowly start looking ar replacements.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Sheila, you might ask at your local furniture store what the reasonable 'lifetime' is, of a sofa in your state. I was told in each store that a 'lifetime' guarantee on frame and fabric was 7 years. Now, my sofa will definitely go beyond that, but that's all they will do for you in Cal. Look for a new one. Or get the cushions restuffed.

Red

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Oceanna, do you have a photo online? Would love to see.

Red, I have such a devil of a time getting a good picture of this couch because it's in front of the window. Here is a pic I took the other night. Sorry it's grainy.

Here's a day time one and the coffee table is all glare...

Mohair velvet throws the light around in a different way than other fabrics. I love it, but it's hard to photo well I think. But then, I'm no photographer!

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Does the fainting couch count as a couch?

• akrogirl
    14 years ago

Robin: no, our sofas have fixed backs. However, we have had a couple of the "Stressless" recliners and we have never had a problem with the mechanism. I just love the Ekornes products.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

Oceanna - would that mohair velvet be what a sofa something like yours would have been done in back in the 30's - 40's?

I have one with what I think is the original upholstery. It needs redone and a new seat cushion made for it.

it looks like it could have been considered a 'velvet' type fabric. heavy duty.

• bumble_doodle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow.....now I even have more options to consider. I never even thought about going the antique route. We already have several 'family pieces' sprinkled throughout the house so it could work.

I don't know why I get so stressed out about buying furniture. Sure, it's a big purchase but honestly, I spent less time shopping for my last car than I have over a sofa. lol.

casajakada, thank you for offering - I'll definitely keep it in mind!

Lot's of great advice and tips. Thank you ALL!

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Oceanna! That fainting couch is TO. DIE. FOR. Beautiful!

tina