5 mio, newly built

Comments (36)

• User
    9 years ago

Is it yours?

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha! No, and I don't even wish it were....
    Doesn't have an owner yet.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

It's definitely not my taste, but NSM, what about it bugs you so much? I have my guess, but would be interested to know why it caught your eye in particular.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I love that window

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, bugging is too strong a word, unless you consider that it's 5 million and brand new.

What I find strange is the mix of styles/materials. Let's see, we have cream colored raised paneled vanity doors/drawers with glaze, black marble vanity top, a crystal chandelier, a claw foot tub, on the left.
    And then we have gray glass mosaic tiles all over in the shower with a streamlined rainshower head, frameless glass door on the right.

I do like the window.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

It's a mullet bathroom...traditional in the front, contemporary in the back.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Party in the shower.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, maybe more thought went into this: Women usually prefer baths, men showers.
    So the frilly faux French is feminine style, the glass, contemporary appeals to the man of the house.

Or they're just covering all the bases.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The more I see of wealth, the less I like it.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

What a mishmash! You didn't even mention the floor tiles! Yuck!
    I do like the style of the shower, but not the tiles.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the floor tiles, too, including the middle pattern. There are 7 more bathrooms. Wonder what they look like.

But: There's been a 500K reduction in asking price.....

• chispa
    9 years ago

If new and for sale, then it is a spec house ... most builders are not good at design whether they build an affordable house or an expensive house. Many times the builder's wife is the designer, sometimes it helps, but not always!

• User
    9 years ago

Lol ncoccer, I didn't want to do my insert foot in mouth routine .....but since it's not yours......lit is the most mixed up bathroom ever! It looks like a poorly conceived showroom bathroom at a builder's model house or something.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

It's like a mashup or split 50-50 house. I see a lot of spec and flip homes like this. They could have saved a lot of money by hiring a decent interior designer.

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

The shower looks like a wild animal.

Rooooowwwwwrrrrrr!

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KSWL, the subject line was a hint :)

Here's another bathroom (different builder). Notice a trend?

But for 2.5 mio more, you can get this:
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: listing

• User
    9 years ago

I thought so, ncsoccer, but I have unintentionally dissed people's stuff before, so I am being extra careful. At a movie screening during one Sundance festival I asked a question about the sets in the Q and A with the director.....basically I asked him how they had managed to furnish the rooms in the movie for the maximum bleakness and hopelessness, who their set designer was because they were perfect for the subject of the film. Turns out those were shot in real, unstaged houses and the owners were in the audience :-(

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Original house - there are actually 7 full baths and 2 half baths. Apparently, brass is "back".
    # 2

I agree with Mayflowers. Just because it's expensive, doesn't make it right. Just because you can afford it, you don't have to add it to the "design." Will be interesting to see how this ends up being furnished.

Here is a link that might be useful: The whole enchilada

• User
    9 years ago

Pretty sure that is satin nickel, not brass, in the pictures above. But antiqued or satin brass is def making a comeback.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I guess if you have the $5 million needed to buy it, you probably have an extra $150,000 or so to use to re-do the bathrooms and change out some light fixtures.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Could it be they're getting the materials at a great discount as a result of the economy? That's what it looks like to me.

The first home my folks bought in Omaha, was a terrible mishmash and we found out from the neighbor across the street the guy was a builder and used scraps from other builds in their home. My folks tore everything out as soon as they had the time. One room at a time they improved that home.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Yes -- looks like builder/designer leftovers ....

I wonder if they were going for the elusive "eclectic" look .... harder to do that design than one might think ....

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Yes, it is Jan. Especially in the bones of a home. In my opinion, that rarely works.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

it's not the worst thing I've ever seen; at least to me the colors are in the same intensity family

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or they read the Washingtonian article on high end bathrooms: "What more people want these days is to mix styles".

"Another trend is mixing tiles--particularly glass and stone--to give a room texture. Having different surfaces, Thomas says, is "much more interesting than all glass or all stone."

Top must-haves:

large showers with benches
    rainshower heads, several shower heads
    glass tiles
    marble
    freestanding tub
    niches for plants
    double vanity
    separate toilet room
    windows

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I'm glad I don't have a "high end" bathroom then.

• peony4
    9 years ago

Ugh. What the article misses is that such permanent materials like tile and stone shouldn't follow trends. Moreover, giving a room "texture" doesn't usually involve like materials. This is akin to putting one type of carpet in the living room, and another type in the adjacent dining room, and claiming the two types of carpet give the space "texture." That's just mixing materials.

A friend works with architectural stone. She has witnessed many teardowns on Chicago's affluent north shore that mixed materials and ended up far too busy and, frankly, quite tacky.

This post was edited by peony4 on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 15:12

• mellyc123
    9 years ago

This is the 2014 version of the purple/purple/green house.

Good thing they didn't hear that wallpaper was making a comeback along with that brass...

• mantolo
    9 years ago

its will be nice if i have one LOL
    {{gwi:99704}}

• Oakley
    9 years ago

The shower tile sticks out like a gigantic sore thumb, or better yet, a live elephant in the room. lol.

I've never been fond of that style of backsplash, it swallows the whole bathroom.

Everything else is okay.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In all fairness, the Washingtonian article did not say "Put As MANY AS POSSIBLE of the above materials in ONE bathroom."

Also, I just noted that this article was from 2012 (house built in 2013).

Here's my observation: At least in this area, the small stacked mosaic tiles with stone are already on their way out. HD sells them for 4.00 a sheet.

Below a link to "beautiful bathrooms" in DC.

Here is a link that might be useful: beautiful bathrooms

• Gooster
    9 years ago

nsm: I agree it seems close attention was paid to trends and what they thought people might expect. Nothing is truly terrible but there are small misses --- sort of like how the kitchen counter is just a bit too intense for the BS and accent wall. I too think the stacked tile has peaked. Is the sign of "jumping the shark" is when HD/Lowes puts it on clearance and phases it out of the inventory?

I don't think they were trying to cut corners by using leftovers here -- anyone wanting to market a house for $5M is usually trying to buy hat looks like high end finishes

That stone bathroom in the other house, though, is the example of what happens with too many types of stone.

kswl: too funny regarding the movie set/actual house.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I loved the "mullet bathroom" line. :-)

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wouldn't it be fun to rewrite the listing?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I really really want a LIKE button so I can "like" the mullet comments!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Oh, NoSoccerMom, we need to start a thread on rewriting listings. That would be fun!