Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scb71

Exterior design/color/curb appeal assistance requested - please!

scb71
14 years ago

We are really not happy with the exterior of our home. it is brick on 3 sides and cement board (hardi) on the rear and the garage. The issues are that the bricks are a dark, dirty, gloomy color alongside a mortar color that is way too light for the brick. In addition, the windows are new energy efficient white vinyl and cannot be painted - so we are stuck with stark white for the windows. Therefore we are dealing with a brick, window, siding combo that just does not go together - it is harsh and the contrast just does not work for me. The rear, fascia, siding, etc is past due for painting we just cant figure out what to do so we have put it off since purchasing the home as long as we can.

We are seriously (practically convinced at this point) that we are going to paint the brick and siding so that the home is clean, uniform and updated. I am attempting to attach some pics and look forward to everyone's opinions, suggestions and potential photoshop ideas.

We are Sherwin Williams users so if anyone has specific colors that they ahve had success with I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks, thanks, thanks in advance! Painters are coming next week so I better figure this out quickly...

Comments (72)

• powermuffin
    14 years ago

It is not that painted brick is a crime, because there are some UGLY brick houses out there. But the OP's home is NOT one of them. The house is beautiful! Stately, perfectly balanced and well, beautiful! If you want to paint the trim at the roof line and the siding then maybe a dark gray? I just can't imagine painting that brick!
    Diane

• stbonner
    14 years ago

I agree with Powermuffin. There are some bricks out there that are hideous and some out there that are just mediocre looking, but the OP's house has really beautiful brick work with lots of detail. There are a lot of houses that would be greatly improved by painting the brick, but I don't think this house is one of them.

Again, I would leave it as it stands. I think it is a very attractive house.

• awm03
    14 years ago

Is there Hardiplank on the sides of the house or only the back?

Let's keep in mind, too, that maybe the house looks better in the photo, as is so often the case. If scb says the mortar is too light for the brick, she's probably right. She knows it better than we do. I'll bet if we could see a closer photo, we'd think so too.

The windows just don't work with the design of the house, IMO, and since scb can't change them, painting the brick & siding is a good way to minimize the distracting windows while unifying the house design at the same time.

Painting the brick certainly won't make this lovely house ugly, and most likely will be an improvement.

• awm03
    14 years ago

I see "brick on 3 sides" in your original post. Gotcha.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

awm, for me the contrast is what makes the house stunning. The yard, trees, even the windows makes it all come together.

While I like whitewashed bricks, they're more common than the OP's house.

• awm03
    14 years ago

Here's an article on whitewashing, per Sweeby's suggestion. She's right-- it would be gorgeous.

Your post made me smile, oakleyoak. Isn't it fascinating how people can have opposite tastes regarding something? Really, how interesting that the very thing that bothers me about that house is something that you find so appealing! Good thing you & I aren't a "taste police" squad. Couldn't you just see us endlessly debating the merits of some design? LOL! Actually, I once was the Taste Police, ahem, *judge* for Garden of the Month in a garden club I belonged to. Boy, was that ever fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitewashing brick

• natal
    14 years ago

I've seen some beautiful painted brick homes, but more often than not they're small cottages/bungalows.

If it were me I'd be doing some serious Photoshopping first. Once it's done there's no turning back.

• darenka
    14 years ago

I didn't know I was in one camp or the other as I have painted brick--but it was awful brick. You do realize that by painting it, you are in for a life-time of maintenance. Even if you don't paint it yourself, it's dealing with contractors, etc... which is a misery unto itself oft times. My personal feeling is that the painted brick looks very much like cheapo, creepo stucco. My house, which I love, is stucco--but let's face it--stucco is cheap compared to brick. I guess it's like the slipcovered sofa--I'm always assuming there is something bad under there that they are trying to hide. (I do slip cover the dog's sofa to prevent that bad thing...) But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I painted my cement block fence even knowing I'd be out there painting it again every couple of years. I just could not live with the prison-yard look. I love my '50's refrigerator turquoise' fence, and it goes smashingly with my 'trashy-tropical' yard; but I imagine if I move, someone will curse me for painting the fence. It's no longer maintenance free.

• suero
    14 years ago

The brickwork pattern on your house gives it character. Painting the brick will destroy that.

If you have not yet picked a color, consider a maroon to match the lighter brick color for the siding and leave the trim white.

There are a few painted brick homes in my community where the owners painted the brick to match the siding. They don't look so good.

• awm03
    14 years ago

"The brickwork pattern on your house gives it character. Painting the brick will destroy that."

You'll still be able to see the nice brickwork pattern just fine.

Hey, is it time to move this thread to Hot Topics yet? ;)

• roobear
    14 years ago

Just some thoughts. . .

What about white shutters on some of the windows to bring in more weight with the white windows and break up some of the big expansion of brick?

If you paint the brick, what about leaving the detail brick trim above the windows and around the entry door unpainted?

Your house is large, so painting it a solid color with very little trim and no shutters to break up the color might give you a similar feeling as the large expansion of brick, except just in a solid color.

It will be interesting to see what you decide.

• leahcate
    14 years ago

"Blog about painted houses" has the best pics for ideas. I grew up in the south east where there were many beautiful, old, painted brick homes, mostly whites and tans. I was so glad that the brick on my present house wasn't wonderful so that I could easily paint it without guilt. I could not paint gorgeous, old brick. I cannot tell by the photo if yours is wonderful. If all the bricks are lined up in 'industrially perfect' rows, and lack character, then I say go for it and do not look back But don't ask others, 'cuz it's a black and white world re painted brick. :>O
    But since you did ask, I will say: first your home is really lovely! If I were to be picky, I'd agree re. the contrast between the dark brick and too white trim. If it bothers you and the trim cannot be painted, then paint the brick! Did I say I love painted brick houses? :>)

• lottamoxie
    14 years ago

I'm siding with the folks that think painting it would be a good thing. I'm not crazy about that brick, though I understand there is nothing technically wrong with it and this is just a style opinion. A light color but not stark white would be good. A slight gray or slight taupe would be nice or even a soft greenish-gray.

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

Beautiful home, but I don't like the brick. The color is off appears a browinsh maroon. Makes the house look too industrial, almost appears like a apartment house or factory. I would paint it.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I haven't read all the comments above, sorry I am bad about that sometimes.

Personally I love the color of your brick, it's looks old rather than that dreadful red brick many new homes have. My apology's to anyone that has red brick, it's only one persons opinion and it shouldn't matter what I think.

I live in the South and many of the old and new homes in Birmingham have been white washed. Giving an aged look which I love. But, the ones I have seen that are white washed (and there are degrees of white wash) are big Colonials. But I don't see that white wash is exclusive to only two story Colonials.

You only live once, so be happy and get the look YOU want.

.....Jane

• kkay_md
    14 years ago

I love the look of painted brick. Sometimes the unrelieved brick houses have the look of municipal buildings--just my opinion.

My own house (40's Colonial) is painted brick (3 years before we moved in, by PO) and in the 15 years we have lived here, we have not had to paint or touch up. So dire warnings about having to paint often may be exaggerated.

• leahcate
    14 years ago

Is it "next week" yet? :>)

• scb71
    Original Author
    14 years ago

VERY NICE - leahcate!
    I love your inquisitive reply. It is 'next week' and the painters are here, but unfortunately there is no paint to show - yet. They spent a day washing, then some repairs, replacing wood, etc. Still caulking nad prepping and maybe on to paint as soon as tomorrow.
    I will post pictures and everyone can comment and debate on how we did.

• kitchenkelly
    14 years ago

How exciting! I am a big fan of painted brick. My favorite episodes of Curb Appeal on HGTV is when they paint the brick. Always looks so fresh.

Good luck!

• leahcate
    14 years ago

Exciting! I notice you did not mention the brick ....okay with me, I love the suspense! It's such a lovely house I'll enjoy seeing whatever you do. (painted brick? who said that??!... shhh) Looking forward! :>)

• enailes
    14 years ago

The house is pretty and the bones are great; however, I think paint would kick it up a notch. New Orleans one of my favorite cities has many inspirations on painted brick, from houses to walkways to fences. Painted brick gives a timeless look to a home even more so when some of the original surface is exposed. That is one of my favorite looks, very French, however, I understand it's not for everyone.

• leahcate
    14 years ago

"..... Still caulking and prepping and maybe on to paint as soon as tomorrow. " So now is it tomorrow? Huh, huh?':>) Or did you post results and I missed it?

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I agree-- painting brick isn't a crime. But, do you know what I see as the issue? Your window treatments. I think the many white blinds + the white mortar = too many harsh lines. If you had curtains instead, I think it would look amazing!

• jakabedy
    14 years ago

I got to this party way too late, but I was going to suggest seeing about fitting the windows with fake muntins. Fake muntins are not my favorite thing by any means, but the style of your house harks back to traditional Tudor revival, and the single- and double-sash windows just don't do it justice.

• megsy
    14 years ago

I was going to suggest shutters too to break up some of the monotony. Which you should probably do even if you decide to paint it.

Can't wait to see pics!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I don't see where you've said what color you are thinking of? I'm thinking that will be pretty overwhelming in a white in that the house is so large and grand.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's a peek at possible cream variations:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• leahcate
    14 years ago

Nice in cream, SH, How aboute the whole vs. part (except around the door...love that).? Bet a soft gray would be nice, too. I'm grinning that we're on here all by ourselves just workin' away ( well, some of us are workin" !) on her house! :>)
    Ya know, much as I love painted brick, if she could put in new windows I think I'd keep it. Have seen this brick with muntined windows in black..very sharp.
    Anele...good call re. the white blinds. I think you're onto something there. Hmmm, I wonder how brown blinds would look? Can that be PS'd??

• scb71
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry for the delay - I will take some pictures this afternoon to post. The painters finished up last week and it looks great - in person anyway so let's see about the pictures. I've had multiple people stop by to comment so after all of the back and forth we did well.

I noticed a couple of recent posts about blinds - we have plantation shutters on all the windows so that is what you were noticing in the first picture.

I appreciate everyone chiming in with their opinions and suggestions - what a great community this site is...

pictures to come

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Leah, I was only doing a portion of the building for a glimpse : )

• leahcate
    14 years ago

well okay, missy...too late now, anyway, for more of our fooling around as we are soon to witness the Big Reveal:>)
    scb, looking again I can see those are plantation shutters.....very nice. Looking forward to your "new" house
    pics.

• scoutfinch72
    14 years ago

I can't wait to see the pictures!

• scb71
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These pics are not the best - they appear a little washed out but you should get the idea. In case there was any doubt left - we painted it and are very happy. The house looks fresh, more substantial and more "put together" if that makes sense. You cannot see it from the pictures but the garage can be seen through the porte cachere and now the front of the house, the garage and the back all tie together.

Our painter is going to get a lot of work from this job. Many people stopped by while they were working to comment and to get his info, etc. They really did a great job - if you are in Houston and need a painter let me know.

Paint colors for those interested:
    Main body of the house - SW Analytical Gray
    Trim - SW Pure White
    Doors on the back of the house - SW Porpoise

• enailes
    14 years ago

Oh my, the house is just Beautiful! What gorgeous colors, I love it! Elegant and timeless, great job.

• leahcate
    14 years ago

OH yeah...Now THAT'S what I'm sayin'!!! It not only took care of the too bright-white windows, but looks gorgeous, just as though you'd planned and built it that way from the start. Nice! More pics from farther back would be great, to see the garage you spoke of, etc.

• ctlane
    14 years ago

WOW!! I liked it before and was hoping to like it after, but I LOVE it. Good for you, it looks wonderful, fresh, and like leahcate said, like you planned and built it that way from the start.

• kitchenkelly
    14 years ago

FABULOUS!

• jmck_nc
    14 years ago

Although I love painted brick I wasn't sure about paint on such a large home. When I got to your pictures I said "WOW" out loud. Stunning. Beautiful. Timeless.
    Judy

• nanjean68
    14 years ago

What a difference. Fabulous!

• kkay_md
    14 years ago

I like it so much better now--it looks softer, more graceful in the landscape, more welcoming. To my eyes, anyway (my house is also painted brick--and gray!)...

• sadie709
    14 years ago

Although I did not originally post a message, I was a naysayer. I must admit I was wrong. It turned out fabulous and the back of the house now nicely blends with the front. Great job.

• scb71
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The hardest thing about making this sort of a change is actually taking the plunge - my suggestion is if you are not thrilled go ahead and take a chance.

I appreciate everyone's comments. I am suprised with such positive remarks considering the pics are really not good examples - it really looks great in person though. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and comments.

Hopefully this post will be helpful to someone else considering making a big change. With that said - I'd like to suggest for the forum that people ALWAYS post their actual colors when they post a picture. I know the lighting, computer screen, etc can make things look different but it is very helpful to see something in action as opposed to on a paint swatch. I would have found it invaluable.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

It looks fabulous! I knew it would! ;-)

By the way, we have some nice GardenWeb get-togethers here in Houston scb71. If you think you might be interested, please shoot me an email (it's on 'My Page') and I'll let you know when the next one is.

• jen9
    14 years ago

I liked it " before", but thought it looked a bit institutional. It looks so homey & lovely now. Great job following your instincts!

• awm03
    14 years ago

Wow! That came out really well. Just lovely, scb.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

It looks like an estate now, simple beautiful.

• scb71
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh well you can't please them all I suppose.

Thanks again to everyone for the interest and suggestions along the way. My suggestion would be as jen9 noted - follow your instincts. We are very glad we did.

• leahcate
    14 years ago

Hmmm, kinda like getting a nose job and hearing that the old one, "IMO", looked better! Ha! :>):>)
    Just looked at the pics again and wanted to reiterate how much I love the new look. It took it from stiffly somber to warmly welcoming. Nice job!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Wow, as much as I thought that the brick on your house was pretty much the only brick I wouldn't want to see painted, I have to say the end result is just wonderful. The colors you chose are great - I always love Analytical Grey (maybe because of the name :)) but I've never thought of it for an exterior color before. It's *great* and almost makes me want to repaint my house now LOL (we had it painted last year). All the choices, including the door paint in the back, are fabulous. It just looks so good, and I'm really not a painted-brick person.

**filing away Analytical Grey for next paint job**

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro