Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Thinking about new lamps

Sueb20
9 years ago

Since I've been housebound with pneumonia all week, I'm spending far too much time looking around my house. This is a totally un-staged photo, obviously, with the throw covering my sofa cushions (look to the left end of the sofa to see why), kleenex on one table, water glasses on the other. I'm sick. Don't judge. ;)

I have had these two lamps for several years and in thinking of ways to bring a bit more color or maybe even a tiny bit of bling to this room, I'm considering new lamps. Other lighting in the room = sconces over the fireplace in a bronze metal with cream-colored glass shades, and an antique brass little floor lamp. So if I stay with a metal, it should be either bronze or antique brass. I'm fine with mixing metals, to a degree. But I'm thinking more about color. See the greens in the painting over the sofa? I thought I might find 1-2 lamps in that sort of green, maybe glass, but so far I haven't seen one I like. Or something more like rustic pottery? Handmade look? I don't think I want a shiny ceramic finish.

PS the rabbit mask doesn't necessarily have to stay there.

WWYD?

Comments (34)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more point. The lamp on the left serves both the chair-sitter and the left-side-of-sofa sitter, so I'd love to find a floor lamp with two lights. (Could also be a table lamp, though a floor lamp has worked pretty well there because the round table is small.)

Something like this, although I'm not in love with this fixture, especially the shades (which I guess I could change).

Here is a link that might be useful: two-light floor lamp

• Bunny
    9 years ago

sueb, I hope you're feeling better.

I just want to say you have no need to apologize for unstaging your living room. It looks great. I looks like real people (and at least one pooch) live there. I have a box of Kleenex in every room of my house...all the time. Oh, excuse me for having to cover my mouth when I sneeze or dab my eyes during a sad movie. I think if we saw more rooms like yours we wouldn't all get our knickers in a twist worrying that we can never achieve that perfectly staged look.

I usually have a container of floss on my corner table, but I do put that away when guests come over. :)

As for your lamps, I love good reading light wherever one sits. I think something like (not exactly) the two headed floor lamp would serve both areas.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, thanks, Linelle. No one will every accuse me of having a perfecty staged house. In fact, one of the best compliments I received recently was when a friend came over and said "I love your house -- I love how it's decorated but that it's not, like, a museum."

Anyway, because I can never address one thing without it "creeping" into an additional purchase or project, I am now looking at replacing the small end table on the left of the sofa with a rectangular/larger one that matches the table on the right. In that case, I would be looking for a table lamp on that side, not a floor lamp.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think I would stay away from metal since since you already have the sconces and other brass lamp. I think the green would look nice, or even the red from your rug.

Hope you are feeling better. I have had pneumonia several times and once the antibiotics kicked in (usually within 48 hours) I felt normal again.

• Circus Peanut
    9 years ago

You have a pet panda bear!!!

Oh. Maybe that's a puppy? :)

I personally adore the rabbit mask. In fact, ideally you could figure out a way to make it into a lamp base.

Lacking that, a pretty green glossy ceramic might be ideal. You might take a gander at some antique shops in your area? There are always unique lamps on eBay, if you're comfortable with that:

• Circus Peanut
    9 years ago

Whoops! I missed the part where you specified NOT shiny. So ...:

• User
    9 years ago

I would try lamps with a red or mustard base(colors pulled from rug and painting). If red, perhaps a ginger jar type lamp? I am not a fan of the two headed floor lamp, it just looks awkward to me. I love the painting!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not generally a fan of the ginger jar lamps, just a bit too traditional for me.

I do really like this one -- with a different shade. We have several pieces of Mission Oak furniture in the house so this is the style I lean toward.

I don't think I'd do matching lamps, which just makes the hunt more complex, but I just can't do matching end tables AND matching lamps.

Here is a link that might be useful: FLW lamp

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry circus, I meant to thank you for your ideas, too. I don't know why antique lamps make me nervous. But I like those first ones -- from ebay? I saw a few on Etsy, too.

I also like this one, even though I said I didn't want shiny!

Here is a link that might be useful: Robert Abbey lamp

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And, I like this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Haeger lamp

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Here are some from Murray Feiss. I always love their lighting. The first two may be too much 'hardware', but you can go to their website and see if anything else might work.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Second one. I can't figure out how to load more than one at a time.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Or this.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I could see some of the Babette Holland lamps there. They are metal (spun aluminum, I think), but come in some unique finishes that make them look like a cooler, more industrial ceramic.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooooh...

• Circus Peanut
    9 years ago

Haeger or Roseville would be excellent choices! Also check out Pewabic and Motawi for their current offerings (I think they make lamp bases?); both are in the same arts & crafts vein, and that craftsman green would be stellar with your painting.

One more. Click on photo for the link to the auction:

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Sue, when I was looking for new lamps for my bedroom Tibb posted this PB lamp for me. It wasn't the look I wanted for my bedroom but I loved it! By the way keep the rabbit mask. Have you ever seen the Wildwood dignified rabbit lamp? I love it and have been itching to buy one for my DGS but DD says he doesn't have room for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn lamp

• funkyart
    9 years ago

LOVE the Babette Holland lamps and also the first lamp you posted, Sue-- the FLW. Of the two, I'd go Babette Holland.

I also love the vietri ceramic lamps-- some of them may be too rustic, earthy crunchy for your look but i love love love this one. I have seen it in person and the finish is so gorgeous-- a little shine but not too blingy. The pictures dont do them justice.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: vietri lamps

• deegw
    9 years ago

Sue, I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm sorry that you are so sick. Pneumonia is exhausting. I hope your illness didn't put too much of a damper on graduation. Hope you are feeling better soon.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, deee. I always thought pneumonia was for 85 year olds! I wasn't too bad at graduation (only one coughing fit during the salutatorian's speech!) but by the time it was over, I was ready to collapse and went to the dr. the very next morning.

I kinda like this one, which reminds me a bit of the Vietri lamps...

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamp

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And call me crazy but I like this one even though it reminds me of a pickle!

Here is a link that might be useful: Weird?

• User
    9 years ago

They do look kind of pickle-y! They also don't look tall enough. Of all the lamps posted I like the FLW inspired green ones the best.

That rabbit mask is interesting--- is it a one off or are there other like accessories in the room? Was it by any chance picked up on a trip to Carnaval, foreign or domestic?

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I am sorry, SueB, that you have pneumonia. With autoimmune disease, it is easy for me to get pneumonia. Please follow instructions so you do not relapse.

You have some good choices.

I like the "pickle" lamp as you stated. I think it is very nice but I also like the Stein World lamp. I just think those are the two I would have to choose between.

I am in love with that color green and if I could find a bunny mask...I would buy it and paint my bar but then there is that design creep.

Happy that you were able to attend graduation and when you are better, just kind of hang out and savor those moments and don't get too busy too soon.

DILL PICKLE.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The rabbit mask is from Venice, bought when we visited there about 5 years ago. So, it's special! Some people find it a little creepy, I think.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The pickle lamp is just 3" shorter than the one I have there now. However, I do think a pickle lamp next to a rabbit mask is just a bit too much kitsch for one space.

Depending on the lamp, the rabbit may move anyway.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, at the moment these are top contenders in my mind. Yes, I was looking for color, but what I like about the last one is that it has two bulbs, which will be good for the spot between the sofa and the chair. That is such a dark corner and often DH is on the chair and I'm on the sofa, both reading, so I'd like better lighting than what we currently have in that spot.

All three lamps are about the same height, 28-30". I am likely to change the shade on either of the green lamps, so ignore the shades for now.

A couple of possibilities for your voting pleasure:

Bronze lamp on the left, FLW lamp (1st one) on the right. (Bunny mask moved elsewhere.)
    FLW lamp on the left, Haeger lamp (2nd one) on the right. (The table on the right will be wider than the one on the left.)

Or, would you just do two matching lamps? There is a lot going on in this room already, so maybe some symmetry wouldn't be a bad thing.

href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/sbmor/media/lampthree_zps0d8b7f15.jpg.html"; target="_blank">

For the record, the sconces over our fireplace are in the link below. The metal finish of our sconces is pretty much identical to the metal table lamp above, and the glass shades are the same color as the glass lamp shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: sconces

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have now become truly obsessed. I forgot about Etsy for a minute. I emailed this artist to ask if these lamps are actually green...? Kind of hard to tell what the color really is.

Here is a link that might be useful: etsy lamp

• voila
    9 years ago

So sorry you are not well, Sue. Hope you get better soon! I like the ceramic lamps, but thought I'd throw something else in the mix. The glass shade has red, green and blue in it which might be nice with your rug. You sounded like you wanted some bling which the last Etsy lamp won't give you. Just a thought.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Voila, but I have now determined that I need to stay away from metal. There is so much metal already in the room -- other lighting, table legs, fireplace, etc.

I am now looking at this one, and a similar one by the same artist (same color, same height, different style).

Here is a link that might be useful:

• voila
    9 years ago

That lamp is very interesting, with a lot of nice textured details.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Love the current pick.. did you order?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I emailed the artist and just waiting for her to give me price info! Love the idea of buying directly from the artist :)

• User
    9 years ago

I like the leaf pattern better. More arts and craft-like. The other feels Japanese for some reason.

• User
    9 years ago

The lamps posted at 16:05 are very much I. The style of arts and crafts. If they are tall enough they would be my first pick! For shades, how about a square?

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm