Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20102524

Online sources for vintage Persian runners?

User
9 years ago

We're just finishing up a renovation of our small galley kitchen (thanks to a lot of help on the GW kitchens forum) and the only big item outstanding is finding a nice runner. I've been stalking Ebay but it's really hard to gauge the quality and condition (as well as the reliability of the sellers.)

We have a number of carpets purchased either in the region or by family who know good sources in the US. But I won't be travelling until the fall at the earliest and I would prefer not to get my MIL involved in this quest for a variety of reasons!

So I figured I'd see if anyone here has any suggestions of websites or Ebay vendors. I'd prefer vintage but that's not set in stone. Thanks for any pointers!

Comments (10)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago
  • nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Ebay, including European sites. For some, shipping is only about 30.00.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Ebay is a good source but you do have to do your research on the seller and the return policy. Colors vary by monitor.
    Do a search for antique person runners. One company that you will see is NY Rug Gallery. There was a thread here on ebay rugs, which you might be able to find. I remember that name.

I bought a runner several years ago from Rugman on ebay, but I don't see him in the listings now.

Good luck!

• eosinophil
    9 years ago

I've had great luck with the listings on liveauctioneers.com. It's a little more hit or miss as they are real auction houses and thus no returns or extensive descriptions but I have gotten a couple great rugs full of character for super prices.

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

Dont forget local auction houses.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And of course, Craigslist

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Thanks, Tibbrix, I was also going to suggest Craigslist.

I would strongly recommend that you not purchase a vintage rug unless you can touch it... and SMELL it. The rug might look great in the photo, but... well...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I LOVE persian rugs in kitchens. Actually, I love them anywhere! A galley kitchen with a Persian rugâ¦.perfect!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks for the other recommendations. @eosinophil, Liveauctioneers.com is a really interesting site - I can see it will be another great tool of procrastination!

@Tibbrix, thanks for mentioning Etsy. I had totally overlooked that and it's less overwhelming than Ebay. One of the sellers I saw on that site is just up the road so I may try to go see some options in person.
    @mclarke, thanks for raising the smell issue - I hadn't thought of that despite the fact that I have a couple of small pieces stuffed in my attic for that very reason!

My biggest issue is just making a decision - I like so many, especially the ones that are way beyond my price range! The one below is my leading contender at the moment (from an Ebay vendor with perfect feedback) but I'm going to hunt a bit more before I pull the trigger. Thanks for the suggestions!

• nicole__
    9 years ago

I purchased one on Ebay and was thrilled with my purchase. The one you have pictured is gorgeous!

The one I purchased was really old, no wear, no smells....perfect to go with a variety of colors, a bold pattern and the seller posted a picture of the knots on the back and a KPI(knots per inch). I did throw it out on my cement driveway with soap & water when I got it....but that's just me....