Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where are the walls/ceiling? Your opinion pls

Posted by Danvirsse (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 10:56

We are in the process of renovating a cape type home. I seem to be struggling with deciding whether the sloped portion is part of the wall or part of the ceiling. If it makes difference, the knee walls are approx. 48" tall. The flat part of the ceiling is 7'6" from the floor and approx. 60" wide.
Please let me know where my ceiling/walls end.

Thanks so much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where are the walls/ceiling? Your opinion pls

I think it is up to you; Ive seen people continue the paint
paper, and I have seen people stop.

I would include it in the wall is the knee wall is only 48"

o

Are you talking about the second level attic area? Can you post pictures?

In the the situation I believe you might be referring to, the sloped part is normally part of the ceiling but there are other situations where it would be considered the wall. That's why a picture would be helpful.

o

In my view, it depends on where the slope begins to go up.

If it starts upward at a knee wall and joins the ceiling at the same height as the rest of the walls, it's part of the wall.

If it's part of a lofted ceiling, and it starts to bend upward at the height where the rest of the walls meet the ceiling, it's part of the ceiling.

o

Thanks for the replies.

mtnrdredux, I think you're probably right. Since the knee walls are so short, the sloped part probably should be part of the "wall".

lukkiirish, I can't post photos yet, as the framing isn't complete (I have to decide the material (drywall/beadboard or ??) before the framing can be completed.)

bronwynsmom, the slope begins 48" from the floor and continues to the height of the end (un-sloped walls) which is 7'6" from the floor. From your reply, I'd say you would also consider it part of the walls.

Thanks for your help everyone. Sometimes it just seems like there are too many decisions to make.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here