Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishfacenj

Add trim to make flat (flush? slab?) interior doors interesting?

fishfacenj
15 years ago

We currently have interior doors that are flat--no panels whatsoever. DH hates them, I don't give them any thought. He wants to replace them (they're hollow doors, he wants wood), but he thinks doors are like $50 (ha ha ha). We're about to have all the doors/moulding/windows painted, and a friend suggested adding some skinny wood trim to "make" some panels on them (before they are painted so that it will all look more cohesive after they are painted). The contractor doing work on our bathrooms/closets said that would look tacky and to just leave the doors flat. Any thoughts? Anyone BTDT?

Comments (14)

• eandhl
    15 years ago

My bet, by the time you bought the trim, had a carpenter cut, miter and install it all you might do just as well to buy new solid wood doors.

• avajen
    15 years ago

DH just did this on our home before we sold. We had the flat brown (old) wood doors. He made a 2 panel door out of shoe molding. After it was painted white it looked awesome, like a new door. Each door cost $20.00, but he did the work himself. HTH

• embees
    15 years ago

The trim level of the door is a personal preference, but I will add some weight to DH's preference... Solid wood doors make a big difference in the sound transmissions in your house. And they just plan feel good to operate :)

If your doors are standard height, around here you can get a six panel pre-framed door for $50ish (depending on width) in pine, oak approximately $20 more. If you plan to paint them, you can go down to paint grade, which will make them cheaper. So he's not too far off on price, assuming you just want something real basic.

• kswl2
    15 years ago

I would not bother trying to dress up a hollow-core door. They are often made of inferior wood that takes many coats of paint to look smooth and nice. If you plan to live in the house I would definitely get nicer, more soundproof, doors.

• bella_on
    15 years ago

DH applied mouldings to all our ugly brown hollow doors, painted them B.M. Cloud White...and they look beautiful. If I can figure out how to post a pic, will do. My pics are in Picture Project and have no idea how to get them over here.

• bella_on
    15 years ago

pics of our doors....I hope it works, need help with photobucket

• bella_on
    15 years ago

ok...think I have finally figured this out, has only taken me an hour.

• fishfacenj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bella, those are beautiful! Thank you for taking the time to post the photo (I'm sorry it took so long!!) You'll have to give me pointers--we're in the midst of two bathroom gut renovations and a kitchen face-lift and painting. Hopefully the results will be such that I'll want to post them :)

• bella_on
    15 years ago

• bella_on
    15 years ago

I just asked DH how much it cost for each door, and he can't remember, since he did it over a year ago. We bought the trim pieces at a Lumber Centre. All I know it is quite abit cheaper than buying new doors. We did 5 in all, both sides...very pleased with the results. DH is very handy, built my kitchen for me from scratch....good excuse for all new tools. We tried out different configurations of panels on paper first, working around where the handles were...I liked this one the best.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Your husband did a great job. The doors turned out beautifully.

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

I love that you did this. They look beautiful.
    I am really happy to see when people DIY these home projects.
    Good Job !!!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

bela, beautiful doors. Good point mentioning where you bought the materials. Most people think that HD and Lowe's are the lowest on price for trims, when in fact, they are way too high, especially if you need a few 8' lengths of anything. We purchased 99% of our trim from a local lumbar yard and the other 1% from a trim and molding from a wholesale warehouse. Check your local Craigs list under "supplies" and see if there are any wholesale suppliers in your area. You'll possibly save some money.