Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Motorized Sklyight Shades- Battery Power Sufficient?

localeater
10 years ago

I am taking the plunge and getting motorized shades for the ceiling of my sunroom. The ceiling is comprised of four large windows separated by the beams of a post and beam structure. It is hard to get a good angle but this should give you an idea:

From GW Photos

Because of the size of the windows I don't have unlimited options. Each window is 104" long. I am thinking of HunterDouglas Skylift shades.
Here is the concern: the specs say they can't be daisy chained, and they can't be hardwired. So my options for power are individual plugs which I would have to hide behind the top rail and then have 4 plugs in an outlet that may be visible when you are in the sunroom(I have to install the outlet still), or batteries. Enviromentally I don't like batteries, but aesthetically this is seeming like the way to go.
Do you think batteries will effectively power the shades? Does anyone have experience with this system or a like situation.

Comments (14)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I'm surprised they can't be hardwired together. I had 82 inch long battery-operated HD cellular shades in a previous house They worked fine. They tell you to change the batteries every 18 months, but mine lasted longer than that.

Given the difficulty you would have in getting to the batteries once they are up there, you might want to keep looking for a product that can be hard wired.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I just installed a SunSetter motorized, remote controlled outdoor shade that I bought at Costco. It is wonderful and I'm wondering if something like that might be a solution for your situation - installed outside?

Here is a link that might be useful: outdoor shade

• fynite
    10 years ago

Things like this are why I want to see someone start making remote controlled polarizable films available. Sadly they don't seem to be available yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: stuff like this.

• GreenHighlighter
    10 years ago

While Hunter Douglas says they can't be hardwired, an electrician should be able to do that no problem. It'd probably void any warranty they offer, though.

You might want to try searching on blinds.com for motorized shades. There should be a number of options.

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

I hate when people do this, but here I go doing it just the same. I am totally NOT going to answer your question and veer off on a tangent instead. . .

We have skylights -- one being a huge 10' x 17' cluster in the center of our great room. I think the POs had rigged some sort of sheer fabric underneath it (based on some tacks and nails), but in year two, we realized that in the summertime, something had to give. After researching all the shade options, we would up getting a skylight cover for the outside. Of course it's not something that you take on and off at a whim, but it's perfect for our needs. DH puts it on some time in May and it comes down usually in late September. No batteries, no wires, no fuss, no muss (aside from the biannual trip to the roof).

I'm not sure if it would work for your application (slanted roof on a garden room), and you may want the daily option to open or close, but it's an option.

As for the non-hardwire issue: if you're springing for the electrician anyway, to install the outlets, spring for a carpenter to make a wooden rail of some kind that will hide the plugs from view. Would the plugs be at the bottom, or the top? And how are you getting the power behind the wood? (I ask because we have a post-and-beam home with no real working space between the ceiling and roof, so I know what a hassle retrofitting wiring can be).

Here is a link that might be useful: skylight shade folks

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate all your ideas and suggestions.
    Updates: I don't want a shade on the exterior. The sunsetters are great, I am actually considering one for my deck, but in this application it would not be aesthetically acceptable to me. Jakabedy, your "once a year put on put off" solution is perfect for a situation where that time frame is viable, but it isn't here. I live in Maine. It is never actually all that hot. And often we desperately need the light. I need to be able to move the shade up and down on a daily basis.
    Yes, I am sure they CAN be daisy chained and hardwired(daughter of an electrical engineer here), but the specs do not allow it and I am not up for immediately voiding the warranty.
    I have found out that the incremental to go with battery now and convert to plug in is not huge. I will probably just go this way. Still mulling a bit.
    I will post pictures when done.
    Thanks again for all the help.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Great update. I always use Hunter Douglas. Yes, they cost more, but I think their products work very well and their customer service and warranties are excellent.

• msbubbaclees
    10 years ago

Looks beautiful, glad it worked out so well!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Very nice!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Thank you for the update. I've gotten two quotes for a shade for my kitchen skylight. In both quotes, they've specified electric vs. battery power. Additionally, both quotes specified the addition of a metal frame around the opening up to the skylight to hold the shade taut. I'm not happy with the frame, the strings that the shade runs along or the electric power, so I'm holding off for now. Luckily, it's not too hot in the winter.

• localeater
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am updating my original post. It has now been two years since the battery operated shades have been installed. I have changed the batteries on one of the 4 shades.

Extremely satisfied!

• salex
    8 years ago

Hi localeater - Your skylight blinds look gorgeous! Glad to hear that you still love them 2 years later.

I am thinking of installing HD motorized shades on a vertical window, and am curious about having the battery pack mounted on the bottom of the blinds. Certain windows could be a real pain to swap batteries if the pack is at the top. Do you know if that's a standard option for HD motorized blinds? Also, do you have yours on a timer?

• localeater
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My battery packs are on the bottom, that was a concern of mine too. It would have been quite trying to change the batteries if they were at the top.

Mine are not on a timer, that wouldnt work so well for my situation. My need is less time of day sensitive and more temperature driven. The temperature is not fully tied to time of day as I am in Maine and the room functions as a heat trap in winter and warms the house greatly.

I did think about getting the thermostatic control yhat opens and closes based on temperature in the room but in the end I went basic.