Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olympia776

Looking for paint the color of glass

olympia776
9 years ago

I'm panting my bathroom which has glass tiles mosaics that include "clear" with a greenish tint in both transparent and frosted as well as a glass countertop (clear) and glass shower door (frosted). I'd like a paint that's the color of glass or water in the tub :)

Don't worry - there will be contrast! The cabinets are dark wood and the floors are a medium-dark grayish blue color which is also represented in the mosaic tiles. The PO painted the walls a similar color to the floors and for a windowless bath it's just too dark for me.

I have tried BM Palladian Blue which I really like but I feel it is too saturated for the space. This is a master en suite and my accents in the master are a dead ringer for palladian blue but they are all removable - pillows, vases, etc. I might try mixing it 50/50 with white and see if that's better. I'm also looking at SW sea salt. I think I would like the color to be a bit more on the muted side rather than the brighter side.

Any help or advice would be appreciated - thanks!

Comments (19)

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Try BM Quiet Moments. I have it in my master bath with a color scheme and tiles very similar to what you describe. I love it.

• olympia776
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll check that out - thanks! I might even have a sample of it. I know it didn't work in my living room but the bathroom is a completely different beast...

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Have you thought about, since this is possibly a small room, painting a glaze with a light color over it in the bathroom only and just allow the bedroom to remain the same. It will basically be the same color but the glaze will give it that see-thru color and lighten it for a more bathroom/coastal look.

• sis2two
    9 years ago

Healing Aloe is really pretty and is one shade lighter than Quiet Moments.

• mahatmacat1
    9 years ago

I used Devine Glass in the same situation back in 2006 and I still love it every time I look at it every day. It's *so* easy to work with, too. Fool/flyleft-proof : )

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

flyleft's Devine Glass is beautiful and sounds like what you're looking for. Here is a pic from the Devine Paint Web site.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Also try Ben Moore Glass Slipper

• olympia776
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HI all,
    Thanks so much! I'm probably going to go with SW or BM just because that's what's closest and I've got people I like at both stores. I guess not that I can't have something mixed.

I definitely won't be doing a glaze. I've already put up swatches and will have some patches from some electrical work - added sconces - yay! So, no chance of working with the existing color. It's also waaaaaay too dark for my liking. I'd also like to the master bedroom and bathroom to tie in together more.

I'm liking all these color suggestions. However, I feel like I see more green in the glass than I do blue and most of these colors read as more blue to me (on my monitor).

Keep the suggestions coming - I so appreciate it!

• flymom65
    9 years ago

SW Sea Salt

I painted our half bath and guest bath in it and I still smile when I look at it.

• flymom65
    9 years ago

SW Sea Salt

I painted our half bath and guest bath in it and I still smile when I look at it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Then yes, BM Healing Aloe or SW Sea Salt.

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Take a look at SW Topsail too. It's a shade brighter/ lighter/ whiter than SW sea salt. I have Mountain Air, Sea Salt and Topsail in my house, and they work beautifully together. Almost seamless, because I wanted gradations of sea colors.
    The SW Sea Salt is probably the most saturated of the 3.

• AlyB
    9 years ago

I second the recommendation for BM Glass Slipper -- I have that in my master bath (with carrara marble tile) and it is much less saturated than the BM Palladian Blue that I have in my kitchen/powder room. Here is the Glass Slipper.

• AlyB
    9 years ago

By contrast, here is the Palladian Blue (I'm sorry I couldn't figure out how to get these in the same post without exceeding picture size!)

This post was edited by AlyB on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 22:57

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Our kitchen/living/dining area is SW sea salt. I recently brought home some clear/greenish glass tiles to audition for a backsplash. They're almost a perfect match with the wall color. Is this what you were thinking?

• olympia776
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I painted swatches of Palladian Blue, Quiet Moments and SW Window Pane. Quiet Moments was too gray, Palladian Blue seemed to be the right color with my glass tiles but again too saturated. Window Pane was too pale and a little off somehow.
    I have a bunch of SW paint since I stocked up on the last sale so I went in and asked them to do Palladian Blue at 75%. Well, it came out just like Quiet Moments - I actually had the SA get the swatches and it was almost a dead ringer. So, it was like the color I liked least. We thought we should add more yellow which was in the formula so I figured ok since we can always bump it up to the full formula for Palladian Blue. This made it kind of dark so he added some white. I get home and try it and it's like pea soup on the wall. I also see that he added green pigment and not the yellow that's in the formula so I'm not sure there's any rescuing this gallon. If he did something other than what I thought he was doing (adding green instead of yellow) any chance you think he'll refund me or get me an untinted gallon? Anyway, off topic..

So, I think I'm going to BM this morning to get a cut down version of Palladian Blue. I think it might be In Your Eyes if I remember correctly. Thanks to all for your help!!

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

Beach glass.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting