Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashburngirl

I chose pink drapes for a guest bedroom, grr!! - Need color advic

burnGirl
14 years ago

Don't ask me why I chose baby pink drapes. This happened before I had kids, when I wasn't too aware of the baby pinks and blues and now I keep saying to myself "Who in the world chooses baby pink drapes for a guest bedroom". But the fabric texture and color stood out and I liked it instantly. Well in any case, that's what I have to live with. But I'm having real hard time finding a color for this north facing guest bed room with pink drapes which I dont want to make it look dungy or a baby room or a girl room. The drapes match up to SW RoseBud

Looked at some lavender/voilets, they work great but the room translates to total girly room

Looked at some blues that go well with that pink but the room translates to a baby room.

Looked at purplish greys, they make the room dungy as its north facing.

I feel like I'm stuck here.... don't want to use dark colors which might make the room too dark as there is barely any sunlight. It currently has the regular builders paint, some sort of beige and looks too boring. I'm leaning towards SW Cosmos, but just not too confident about it, worried if it would make the room dark. May be I should just go with Pure White to match up the curtain rod.

If you all have any ideas please.. please... let me know. Thank you

{{!gwi}}

Comments (66)

• suero
    14 years ago

What if you pull out one of the colors from the drapes, like the deep purple? An intense color on a north facing wall can look cozy.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

If the room is used only as a guest room, I think you could be safe with one of the grays you were mentioning. A dim bedroom that doesn't get a lot of natural light can be kind of soothing. (If it is a room that is used primarily for sleeping). I second the notion of greens intensifying the pink. It could be a nice combo, but it is just something to be aware of. The designer Jamie Drake does a lot of projects in pink, lavender and similar shades, many intense, some subdued...check out his work.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

If you use a faded, browned-down green, it is not going to intensify anything, as in faded jeans that have been washed 9,046,265 times.

• burnGirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will look up for some brownish purple today in the fan deck at home. Some how leaning towards purples or blues as the drapes have slight blue/purple/grey tinge in them.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Let me be the third one to vote against Green with Pink. Right now in the decorating trends the Mint Green/ Powder Pink combo is very, very popular for nurseries and little girl's rooms. That combo just has that association, and is what you see in all those kid's 'bed in a bag' sets. You want to avoid the nursery feel for the guest room you say. With the white trim in the room, you have to be careful not to duplicate a kid's bedroom look and aim for a sophisticated look. Also, the Mint/Dusty Rose combo is very '80s and dated. You want to go with a fresh new look.

Do you have any furniture for the room yet? Maybe it would be best to have a vision for the room and pick one main piece and then choose the paint color?? The style and wood tone of the piece will influence the wall color. It may be easier to do the painting LAST.

I am liking your idea of white walls. It would have a real 'sharp edginess' to it and not make the white trim jump out so much.

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/shop/k/bedding/girls-quilts/index.cfm

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barns Kids

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Have you spent time looking at photos of pink rooms for ideas?

If you just Google terms like 'pink rooms' you will get zillions of photos. Some good. Some bad. This way you might see exactly what you want and you can also see what does not work for your taste.

Then Google different combos like 'pink and green rooms' and 'pink and black room' ect. ect. There might be a color combo that you think you do not like and dismiss outright, but when viewing a room done right with it, you may open up to it. Or when seeing a whole room splashed with certain combos it can look clashy and not what expected and then that combo can be crossed off the list of possibilities.

Also go to the online decorating magazines (Is domino still around online?) and put *pink* into their search box to see some really nicly done rooms in pink.

Click for Pink Rooms:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Rooms Google

• patricianat
    14 years ago

Wow, someone here has a long-handled spoon. I said nothing about mint green. I think I said a faded, browned-down green.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Yeah, I didn't say mint green either, lol... I said "subdued green." Like maybe a greyish green.

• kelpmermaid
    14 years ago

It's hard for me to see the color of those drapes and the existing walls, but what about a pale aqua or a cream-into-yellow? Just trying to think outside the box, given the lighting.

• bbstx
    14 years ago

I think the drapes are very pretty. Here are two Jane Wilner fabrics that might work well, although they fall into the maligned pink and green category:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I do not think either looks childish.

• burnGirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

To all those who are suggesting green, I do have sample green painted, I will stick it up to the wall, take a picture and post it here. Mean while I picked one that was appealing to me from dilly_dally's google search results. And the bottom 2 images are from SW color visualizer, let me know what you think. The last one is SW Cosmos, which I talked about in my original posting.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

dilly_dally - I'm not ready to pick furniture at this point for that room yet, painting by professionals and lower level flooring is yet to be done, so most of the budget is allocated to that right now.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Yes, you never did tell us what else is in the room... what does the furniture look like? What's on the floor?

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

What bedding are you using with the drapes? Do you leave them covering the window all the time or do you pull them to the side during the day? Are there two windows?

I think that you need to take into account the other fabrics in the room, the furniture etc. I say this because if you have a white dresser or a white bed then I think a soft gray would work. If it's dark wood with a flowered bed coverlet then perhaps a white wall would work best. Also, maybe you can look for some art work that you like that has the pink in it and pull a color out of the art to paint the walls.

I think since you have drapes that are hard to decorate around, if you don't take into account the whole room before picking a paint, you'll then just be trying to match bedding to pink drapes and a wall color and that will be really hard!

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

I love that first idea room...you can see that the pink is pushed in a very sophisticated direction by the fawn/khaki/taupe colors of the lampshades and pillows and rug, and all that white to dilulte the "dose."
    The pink and blue I don't particularly like, but that's my own reaction. To my eye, it's two accents and no base.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• teacats
    14 years ago

A vote for white walls.

Add lots of sparkle with glass and silver lamps.

Silver mirror.

Add some vintage plate-silver trays to hold "stuff"

Add texture with a throw or coverlet over the end of the bed.

Add a mixture of artworks -- from modern to classic. Or how about simply adding two artworks over the lamps on each side of the bed.

Jan

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

I am liking the white-silver-glass idea quite a lot.
    It also occurs to me that you should consider widening the rod, so that the curtains hang to the side of the window rather than over it...both your two idea rooms do that. You might add white sheers or blinds to control the light.

• polly929
    14 years ago

I was going to suggest silver paint. A friend of mine painted her home office that color, it is really cool. I think it was from Ralph Lauren and there was a sheen to it that just makes the room so unique.

• metromom
    14 years ago

They are gorgeous, but I agree, they are very nursery-ish. I think that if you go with dark furniture (when the time comes), that will help. My first color thought was also celery green, so I'm curious to see how the sample looks.

• metromom
    14 years ago

ps one other thing you might consider is selling them on craigslist - they truly are gorgeous and someone would probably love to have them and it sounds like you don't love them - selling them (even at a loss) would free you up to do whatever you want for the room and probably save you money over the long haul since you won't be so limited in your choices for other items, you can bargain-hunt for bedding etc.

If you paint now and then try to choose furniture and bedding later, you will probably have to look long and hard for something that works.

Just my two cents, feel free to disregard.

• huggybear_2008
    14 years ago

I would change the drapes.. you can buy them fairly inexpensive now, or you can make some if you sew.. and use the hooks off these pink drapes and put on your new drapes or go with tab drapes.. you can paint your room what ever color you want and then buy/or make drapes the color to go with the wall and maybe even make a bed cover to match.. go to Wal-mart and check out their fabric.. they have some fabric for $2.00 a yard and also you can add a lining to it with just some broadcloth.. also you do not really need to know how to sew.. just know how to measure. and use the heat iron on tape to hem them.. it could be fun.. just my thoughts.. any hoo besure to post pics of what you chose to do..
    Huggy

• suero
    14 years ago

A color halfway between SW Grape Harvest (6285) and Plum Dandy (6284) would look great.

• burnGirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's another pic, with more samples. Green does fall under minty side though. Thank you all for your time and interest on this.

Selling or taking them down will be my last to last option, coz I believe I can do this, I feel at least I should give it a try, if it doesn't work out then obviously I would be taking them down.

{{!gwi}}

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

Have you decided on what bedding your going to use in the room? Some of these colors would be next to impossible to match with bedding fabrics.

I like if these are all the choices the light gray above the green.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Thanks for the additional photo. Knowing the color of the carpet is essential.

So, if you want to use the drapes, your colors so far are pink and beige. You don't want it to be childish or girly.

I think a stripe is the best pattern for non-girly-ness.

{{!gwi}}

The blue in the pillow is too bright for wall paint, but perhaps the darker beige tone for the walls?

• burnGirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mclarke,

Never thought in the beige lines as I already had beige and got bored of it. But that dark beige really looks good with pink on the pillow, thanks for posting the pic. Very much appreciated.

• jen9
    14 years ago

I share Teacat's vision for the room ---

• msrose
    14 years ago

After looking at all the inspiration pictures above, I think I would keep the wall color you have and do a cream and pink room, similar to the 3rd picture newdawn posted.
    You could use a cream colored matelasse and add some pink touches around the room.

Laurie

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Pink, beige and brown is a very sophisticated combination...

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Here is a pic of pink with gray walls. Although in my mind's eye, I would choose a lighter warm gray, no blue. Anyway,I think this comes across as sophisticated, not girly. This is actually grasscloth. Love the lighter pink in the desk area. The punches of bright white give it a modern edge. You can definately ahieve this look without it looking too girly. HTH!

• mclarke
    14 years ago

I love grey walls, but don't forget, she has that beige wall-to-wall carpeting, which will definitely fight with grey ....

• burnGirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention that the ceiling will be painted white.

• tfm1134
    14 years ago

Take a look at BM Stonington Gray. It is a gorgeous gray that looks great with pink, burgandy etc. Actually it has looked good with everything I have put against it

• tfm1134
    14 years ago

Here's a pic I found that might give you an idea of BM Stonington Gray with pinks

Here is a link that might be useful: stonington gray

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Have you looked at the pictures in our Gallery?

• burnGirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm very thank ful to all for the suggestions and ideas. Finally I'm done with painting and here it is. As its a north facing room, I never get a good picture of it but this is the best I got.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

WOWWWWW!! that turned out absolutely gorgeous! I never would have thought that those drapes would work, that's why I never commented earlier, because I just couldn't find a suitable color for them. But this is just lovely....you must be soooo pleased!! Wonderful job!

• burnGirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you nanny2a, I'm very much in luv with it now. One of the best things I've done to my home so far :)

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

That's nice. I live the picture frame wall.

• equest17
    14 years ago

Very lovely! It's a unique room, not a color combination that you see everywhere, so good for you for finding a way to use your beautiful drapes. Can you share your paint colors?

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I like the scheme you came up with.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!

It looks absolutely fabulous. I was hoping you would come back with good news and look at THAT!

Well done!

• burnGirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

equest,
    Thank you. The lighter grey is SW Misty, darker grey inside the picture frame is SW Uncertain Grey and 25% of Misty for the ceiling.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Va va va voom! It looks so elegant!

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I like the frame idea on the wall and using two colors. That really makes the room very sophisticated.

I see that you did add color to the ceiling to soften it too. You originally said you were going with white. The tinge of color mkaes the room cozy.

Those are some very nice drapes and I am glad you worked with them and found a way to make it all come together.

• cookingrvc
    14 years ago

I erroneously selected a outwardly pink color for my attic office and when I returned home that night I hated it.

My painter suggested one of BMs whites with pink undertone - Atrium white - and it was perfect. Should have checked with him BEFORE he painted as he was back changing it the next day.

The point I am trying to make is that if you go for a pink, the most subtle color on a strip may end up being too much. Such was the case with my first choice which ended up looking like Pepto Bismol.

Sue

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Very pretty!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Very pretty room! You did a great job! Thanks for the update!

• burnGirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all.

dilly_dally, yes originally I was planning for white but reading thru most of the posts here convinced me to go for some color, and it worked great. So essentially you guys convinced me.

But I tell ya, it wasn't easy, I must have tried 20 samples just for this one room :) It all started to make sense when I thought of adding the picture frame to the wall.

Thanks again :)

• burnGirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mclarke, Thank you and did save the Superman for that room lol !!