Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyw_gw

Curtains for 3 side-by-side sliding glass doors (25 feet wide)

tammyw
9 years ago

This is a bad iphone picture and I apologize, but it's all I have right now. We just moved into this very open floor plan house:
http://s955.photobucket.com/user/tammywahl/media/kitchen_zpsc1ce2ec3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

We will do white shutters throughout the rest of the house, but we have these three large sliding glass doors we need to deal with. We do need to do something pretty quickly because the east sun comes in and will eventually fade the furniture and floors. UV treatment isn't an option since it will void the warranty on our doors (plus I do want something).

I had a drapery person come and she suggested one long 2' rod that goes all the way across all windows, plus 6 separate custom panels on rings. She suggested a 'color' block style - lighter color on the bottom, darker color on the top, and that it would break up the fabric better than if we use a pattern (which would be too much).

The cost would be huge because that is 25' of wall space. There would be a top sewn book pleat for nice casual elegance and fullness. Just wondering if this will look as great as she says it will.

Comments (26)

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Gotta say, your drapery person's suggestion sounds expensive and visually over-busy.

You say you have a UV problem, but can't put UV film on the window glass? Does that mean you will have to close the drapes whenever the sun is out? Yikes.

Here is your photo:

• tammyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mclarke - This is a new build and I spoke with the window company that put the windows in. The windows are this - Series 70 Low-E Dual Glazed Vinyl. They said if we apply any UV coating it will completely void the warranty, which we absolutely do not want to do.

And yes, we would have to close the curtains in the early morning sun. We have an overhang, so it wouldn't be all day or anything. These windows face east so just several hours a day. We have a great view though, so we want to take advantage of that.

And yes, expensive! $5400 for everything (I almost died). If that is the best and only real option then I guess we would do it, but that's why I wanted to come here because I'm not convinced it's our best/only option :)

Plus we have kids, so it has to be user friendly. And we will be going in and out of the door closest to the kitchen. The rest of the doors we probably won't use, but will probably open for a breeze.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would check into luminettes at hunter douglas...they provide the functionality of vertical blinds, but with a much better look.

I would also look into roman shades which can sit above the doors and be lowered to cover the window when necessary, even if only part way to block the sunlight at the top and still allow ventilation at the bottom.

[Modern Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2105) by San Anselmo Architects & Building Designers Jochum Architects

I would also look at jcpenney as they carry pinch pleat panels designed for sliding doors that cost more like a few hundred each, not thousands.

They do make by-pass panels you can use, but they only get as narrow as a single panel which means one will always be blocking some of the window.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

$5400???!!!

Leave the light on for me, I'm coming over. For that price, I'll do your curtains TWICE.

Seriously. Do a Google "Shopping" search for "UV Curtains" and you'll get loads of options, many different sizes, colors, and patterns.

What are the dimensions of your window openings? Looks like you have plenty of room for overheads and draw-backs.

Or, as Annie says, you might consider vertical blinds. We installed these in our Florida high-rise condo, and they are elegant and functional. Again, lots to choose from, and nowhere near as costly.

• tammyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mclarke - I know!!!! I almost fainted. And then even with the ridiculous cost (and yes, I know fabric costs $$$) I'm just not convinced I really WANT all that fabric in my house. Having a heavy wall of fabric just doesn't seem appealing to me. Also, am wondering about keeping those curtains clean. Opening and closing all the time, dust, opening the doors for good air flow and if there is a breeze, it could pull the curtain into the screen door and dirty it that way. Just doesn't seem practical.

Each window is 78" trim edge to trim edge.

The ceiling in that space (up to the "tray") is 10 feet. It looks another 1.5 feet above that, so the room has lots of height.

• Fori
    9 years ago

What is the exterior like? I'd be tempted to try to tackle the problem from there instead of hiding the windows (because they are really nice!).

What about something on the overhang? It could just be a temporary thing until you've been there long enough to evaluate seasonal changes--this might only happen 2 weeks a year! Then you can make a better choice about additional outside structure or interior window treatments.

• suero
    9 years ago

I have a wall of curtains across 22 feet. It provides a great background when the drapes are closed. The drapery fabric has a texture. to keep it from being boring, but is monochromatic enough not to look busy. Rather than color block, try a textured fabric

The drapes are floor to ceiling and insulated, and they cost less than half of what you were quoted.

Closeup of my drapery fabric, with sunlight shining through:

• mclarke
    9 years ago

From your photo, it looks like you've got room between each door opening so that if you got vertical blinds, they would fit there, in the "closed" position, without blocking any of the actual glass opening.

Plus you could open the slats "halfway" which would let in some indirect light -- which you couldn't do with curtains.

Opening and closing vertical blinds is very easy. You can even get them remote-controlled, if you want to get fancy/lazy.

I never thought I'd like them, but they really proved to be perfect for me. I live in a Florida condo with floor-to-ceiling windows, which I love -- but the summer sunsets are a killer. So, for a few hours a day, we close them. It's ideal.

• tammyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We live in S. California, so the sun issue is a year round thing :)

Another friend suggested almost a woven shade that would be mounted from above and then lowered when needed. But then they wouldn't hide our view or windows and would be up most of the time, except in the morning when needed.

I know verticals would work, but I just don't like the look of them for in here. I know I wouldn't be happy with them.

• tammyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just asked my shutter guy and he said luminettes would cost $4500-6000. Nope!

Another person just suggested this type of thing as an option. More of a woven shade. I kind of like the idea.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/isle-of-hope-residence-bluff-drive-eclectic-bedroom-atlanta-phvw-vp~1867092-of-Hope-Residence---Bluff-Drive-eclectic-bedroom-other-metro

• mclarke
    9 years ago

If you google "solar uv mesh roller shades" you'll get a lot of options. I've seen these and they're sort of cool... you can actually seen through them, but they keep out the UV.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Not sure about this one -- but thought I'd mention that Pottery Barn has this one on sale ......

Here is a link that might be useful: PB -- Riviera Stripe Drape -- with blackout lining

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You need to make sure that, whatever treatment you choose, it doesn't interfere with the door mechanism...

• tammyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie - I agree. One of the big negatives of the curtains is that they have a tendency to get "pulled" into the screen, especially if there's any bit of wind. And the fact that the space between doors would make it very difficult, if not impossible to keep those doors open (for a nice breeze) because the curtains would be blocking part of the door, and therefore pulling the fabric into the screen, making them dirty. Another big reason I really hesitate to do curtains.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Here's a photo of some solar UV rollup blinds. From a company called D&W.

Here is a link that might be useful: D&W Blinds

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I like the woven blinds from the Houzz web site hung high. I think they'd look great.
    If you have a deck or patio behind the windows, you could do a woven screen on the outside. Maybe they could be controlled from the inside?

• tammyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karen - we do have a big patio on the other side, but I think the outside shades are also super pricey. I can look into it though for comparison. I do like the texture that the indoor woven shades would add also!

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I had curtains around french doors and they got filthy and were constantly in the way of opening and closing the door. I even hung them quite a bit wider than the door and they still drove me nuts. I eventually used those cheap magnetic rods and hung simple sheers over the french doors and it worked great.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I had a wall with two side-by-side, extra wide sliding doors in my last house and used roll-down solar shades like Mclarke pictured. I added a simple wooden valence painted the same color as the trim across the top to hide the roller mechanism. The shades stayed open except for the few hours per day that the sun streamed through those windows. The shades are easily vacuumed or wiped down with a damp cloth.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

I would build an awning or porch on the outside unless you need to do something for privacy.

• Fori
    9 years ago

You'll have sun all year but it won't be in the same place relative to the house.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Google add-on patio door blinds. I think these would look nice in that room. Gives the room a nice clean look.

Here's the link for the picture below: http://www.western-reflections.com/doorglass_addonblinds.htm

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

I guess I need to know how often will you be opening or closing the coverings ?
    Also the actual doors ?
    Will you just be using the one next to the kitchen for access to back ?

• tammyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forboystoo - we will be using the doors many times every day. Especially the doors by the kitchen but all of them open on some days for airflow (screens closed and not going in/out of those).

We will be using our backyard a lot so heavy-heavy use on these doors!

Our shutter guy said he only recommends coverings that go side by side, not up down for sliders, but the curtains don't seem like a good solution as I think they will get dirty quickly.

• rosebud57_gw
    9 years ago

Solar screen on the outside.

I'm in coastal NC and we have screens specifically for summer made of this material. We swap out the screens in winter when we welcome the warmth of the sun. Makes a BIG difference.

Our window guy explained that if you put it on the outside the window doesn't have a chance to heat up.

Any of the big box stores sell it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=solar+screens&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

A vote for tailored roman shades in a fabric that will let some light in but be occlusive enough at night.

that room is fresh and clean, the fireplace feels a little 1950s tailored and horizontal is where I would go with it.

Very beautiful room, enjoy your new home!