Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Outdoor furnishings

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

So, when we bought our beachhouse we bought all of the furnishings. This included a lot of verandah furniture (it is a large "L", and just the part facing the water is 50'x12'.)

Upon closer inspection, we had to replace all of it. The environment is tough on such things, and some of it was broken, and it all needed new cushions (they were red and white stripes and red and grey floral).

Because our house is a very traditional grey cedar, we went with white wicker. Our choice was to take what we could find in stock, or wait for an 8 week delivery (meaning we would be without all summer). What they had in stock has green cushions ... a bright, spring pea of a green that veers toward lime. (see below).

The only colors on the exterior are the weathered cedar (light grey), the porch floor (dark grey) and trim (white). And trees, grass and the ocean.

I want to tone down the green by adding navy and/or grey throw pillows, maybe poofs, and a striped throws.

We have a round wicker table and armchairs, a sofa, an armchair with ottoman, a second armchair, a wicker rocker, and then four white wooden rockers. The rockers will be lined up on one side of the verandah.

A few questions:

What patterns or colors would you use with what we have (the white wicker, green below, greys, etc).

Do you have a favorite outdoor pillow source?

Do outdoor poufs hold up? Don't they get moldy underneath with no airflow? I purposely did not get a wicker coffee table because I perfer the look of garden stools or poufs.

I would like to put a throw or 2 over the rockers. You see that all the time now in ads; is there such a thing as an outdoor throw?

TIA

{{!gwi}}

Comments (8)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

trying again for color

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Mtn, I recently ordered new furniture for the screen porch at our beach house and the cushions for the two loveseats will be a screaming green very similar to yours (maybe mine is a bit more yellow). The coordinating chair will have cushions in a striped fabric that has the same green and a darker green, with both a taupey gray and a more charcoal gray. The faux wicker we are getting is sort of a taupey gray. Or maybe more charcoal. We ordered it 2+ months ago -- we were told it would take a month to deliver and we are still waiting! grr. Supposedly it's coming in next week. Anyway, my point is that I like the gray with the green.

I just got a bright green pouf from Home Decorators, I think it's 24" round? Seems to be good quality. I'll be using it as an ottoman with the chair. You can order fabric samples from them, which I did before ordering.

For throws on our screen porches, I just buy those cheap cotton quilted throws from Home Goods or TJ Maxx and toss them in the wash once in a while. They seem to hold up fine, but our porches are covered/screened.

I have also gotten outdoor pillows from Home Goods. West Elm had some great ones last year but I didn't care for their selection this year. I'm still trying to find a couple that will work with my green/gray cushions but haven't found anything yet...

• peony4
    9 years ago

I think lime green needs a stronger complementary color than grey--like navy. Navy and lime green go well together, and I think you'll find many options (floral, stripe, etc). Most stores have their outdoor collections on sale now, too.

Frontgate has outdoor throws made of Sunbrella, but they are pricey ($200). Instead, I would invest in good outdoor poufs made of Sunbrella. The cushioning in outdoor pillows, cushions and poufs warrants a more mildew-resistant fabric. But I think a throw could be a standard polyester microfiber that's quick-drying and doesn't withhold moisture.

I googled "Sunbrella poufs" and Home Decorators came up with a nice selection. On sale, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunbrella poufs

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

You all know that I am no expert, but I do think navy looks nice with lime green. I also think that should be an easy color combo to find right now.

An example would be this pouf from peony's link:

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I love this pillow, also from HomeDec:

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

These poufs were in Oprah magazine this month. And...20% off with code OPRAH!

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

I'm another who loves navy with lime green. It looks so crisp and summery.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I would look at sunbrella fabric and consider having someone recover your cushions. You'll have a much larger choice that way.

A couple of years ago I bought some new cushions and was also able to buy some of the fabric (a floral). Then bought a few other cushions in a geometric pattern. Bought those outdoor pillow inserts from RH and made some lumbar and large square cushions. We have dark green outdoor furniture (a vintage glider and chair and the rest is wrought iron pieces) and I use a floral print and a geometric print in shades of pinks and greens.