Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellykath_gw

Why decide on only one?!

kellykath
12 years ago

Just had to share . . . I recently purchased 8 new cushioned parsons chairs with cabriolet legs. (They were 40% off and couldn't pass them up). I had a hard time finding a chair that didn't look too contemporary next to my antique buffet that was not in the $400-$500 price range (each). These chairs have some nice details and even though I will need to have the legs stained a little darker, they were still a great buy. All along, my plan was to slip cover them but with or without the cover I wanted them to look good.

Anyway. . . . . as I was looking for fabric and trying to make my final decision on ONE choice for their cover (I will be sewing them), a little birdie whispered in my ear and said . . . "THEY ARE SLIP COVERS. . . you don't HAVE to decide on only ONE fabric". After hearing this little voice, I immediately found four bolts of fabric, had them cut and now I am totally committed to making two slip covers for each chair! I am "locked in" with no turning back. I will attempt to make my own pattern (have never made slip covers) and hopefully it will be as easy as it looks. I have a lot of color throughout our very "eclectic" home so I'm not too worried about the mix of fabrics - - well, maybe just a little.

Comments (19)

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

If you can do it yourself, then that is so great to have two fabrics for each chair. You can change them ot with the seasons.
    Any pics?

• kellykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh I guess I was not very clear. There will be a total of 8 chairs - two with one print, two with another, etc. So there will be four sets at the table - they will be made in coordinating toile prints (all reds, blackss, and whites). It could be busy, however I also plan to make a set of all the same fabric as well. (Maybe there will be one that is a favorite). Time will tell. . .

• les917
    12 years ago

Creative thinking! How nice that you can make your own. Since you sew, I am sure that you know to just buy some muslin to create the pattern - it is cheap, and not a tragedy if you have to make a couple of attempts.

Another way to go about it would be to mix the fabrics on each chair, so that one chair had the back panel and skirt in fabric one, and the seat and inside back in fabric 2. Chair two might have the back and skirt in fabric 3, and the seat and inside back in fabric two, etc. You would end up with two of each combo. You could even get a fifth fabric and make piping for all the chairs from that one fabric.

It might feel like they are all more connected that way, intentional rather than that you couldn't get enough of any one fabric, so you had to do a couple of chairs in each because that is all you had.

Whatever you do, please be sure to show off your handiwork when you are done!

• kellykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I finished the slip covers and decided that I like the black fabric the best. My home is full of old and new decor- very eclectic and wanted a very casual look for my family-dining area. Directly across from the buffet is my kitchen. Anyway, I made my pattern from an old sheet and by the time I got to the 6th chair I had the pattern exactly the way I wanted it. I will probably make enough to have a complete set of black ones which would be nice to have as well. I do like the chair "without" the covers- however I like the "casual look" of the toile fabric.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Love it!!! Interesting to look at and very elegant!

What pattern did you use? Make your own? You are talented!

• musicteacher
    12 years ago

Love it and love your china cabinet too!

• Boopadaboo
    12 years ago

wow. Fabulous. I wish I could sew!

• User
    12 years ago

I like the way each toile picks up the colors of your art work. Very interesting idea and well done. c

• bestyears
    12 years ago

Love them!!!! You did a fantastic job!!!

• rafor
    12 years ago

Very cool. Great job!!

• smiles33
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I am very impressed. Great job!

• sashasmommy
    12 years ago

They look amazing!! The black is my fav, too. But I love the look with the different colors.

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

You're so creative and talented, it looks stunning !!

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

If I read this correct the legs haven't been changed yet? It reminds me of a mirror I purchased. My DH made our bedroom set. The design called for a tri-fold mirror on my vanity. After two years w/o the mirror I tripped on one at a furniture store. $40. Less than half what the mirror alone costs from a glass store. The stain was off just a bit, I thought. I drug it home thinking I could re-finished it easily for the price. A friend saw it sitting in my bedroom and suggested I give it a try. Now 12 years later, it isn't re-finished and no one has ever noticed. Bottom line I think your legs look fine, and I LOVE the three different colors you did!!

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

That looks so pretty and unique.
    You sure impressed the heck out of me!
    Good job.

Joann

• caminnc
    12 years ago

Wonderful job. LOVE your dining table!

• busybee3
    12 years ago

it looks very nice! my favorites are the black and toile too...but i like the red too when in the mix! creative! it would also have been very cool to have used 6 different fabrics even...(or have the 2 head chairs the same and then 4 different for the rest...) nice job!

• tracey_b
    12 years ago

I love it...sure wish I could sew.

What about putting the red ones on the ends?

• kellykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for such positive feedback. . .
    arcy - yes, , , I did have the legs stained prior to making the covers as the finish was like the old 70's oak look - bottom line - it just did not look good with my buffet or island. Yes, I was thrilled to have "stumbled" upon this great find - at 54" without the leaf my intention was "card playing". I found quite a few 60" pedestals, however the "reach to center" on a 60" is too far from the center. I have posted a picture of the base as I think it is beautiful (it looks shinier than it is due to the lighting and flash. Every table I looked at with a base like this was well over what I wanted to pay right now so again I'm thrilled.

Tracey - yes, I have been switching the colors around to see how they look . . and the 4th fabric I mentioned in the first thread . . . well, I decided not to use the white background with the red detail.

Again, thanks to all for your kind thoughts!