Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westbank_gw

Area Rug for Living Room; Right Size (Photos)?

Westbank
11 years ago

Hi,

We are currently shopping for an area rug for our living room. We found one we like but it's only available in 5' x 8'. I think it's too small but my wife likes it. We were initially looking for a rug about 8' x 10'. I have made two simulations (in Photoshop) to see what the 5' x 8' and 8' x 10' rugs would look like in our living room. Note: The sofa is 7' wide. We also have a 2' x 4' table that will be 2' in front of the sofa. The room is about 10' x 12'.

5' x 8' rug:

8' x 10' rug:

What size looks more suitable for our living room ?

Comments (13)

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

I actually prefer the look of the 5 x 8 size and I wouldn't put the front sofa legs on it - pull it out from the sofa a bit. I'm assuming you will have a coffee table or large ottoman of some sort? If so, make sure whatever you use doesn't visually block the rug you like - something leggy or with glass so you can see the rug design.

• roarah
    11 years ago

I think you need at least an 8x10 but I think it would look better with the 10 side under the sofa. Once you add other furniture a 5x8 will be lost.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I really, really dislike a rug that doesn't fit under the legs of major seating pieces - it's OK if you have an occasional chair that just doesn't fit into the area that well. I want my FEET on the rug - definitely not half-way between table and sofa. I think 8x10 will be perfect, but if an 8x10 covers too much floor space, take a look at 6x9. Overstock has a great selection of 6x9's and also Crate and Barrell. PB has no 6x9's.

Definitely run the long side of the rug with the length of the room. Also, will you be placing a TV console table under the TV? If so, think about how it will factor into the size of the rug. I would want it to either but up close to the front legs of the console or at least a foot under it. Hope that makes sense.

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

I've been struggling with this myself. After talking to several "designers" (?) at stores, I've come to the conclusion that an area rug should unify a room, not be an accessory plopped down in the middle of the room. Right now I do have a 5X7 right in the middle of our great room. I've always thought it looked odd, and have decided I needed a larger rug to unify the room. I'm totally inept at decorating or design, so this is just my take. I agree with roarah that an 8X10 placed in the other direction seems the right choice.

• Westbank
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I've been looking at the two pictures few times since yesterday and I feel like the 8' x 10' would be more appropriate. We're not planning to put a TV console under the TV (all TV hardware is in the basement). The only piece of furniture we'll add is a coffee table.

I think it would look better to run the long side (10') of the rug with the length of the room.

Thanks again.

• hlove
    11 years ago

ditto roarah and bumblebeez

• avesmor
    11 years ago

The bigger one, turned 90 degrees, front sofa legs on the rug, couch centered on rug (in turn entered on wall if possible), add a table under the tv and put table front legs on the other side of the rug.

Rugs have a tendency to look like a "landing strip" when oriented vertically vs. horizontally to the anchor furniture. Plus the scale of your room looks like it will benefit more from the width than the length, just for balance.

• msdos
    11 years ago

I like the smaller one. It's very nice looking. You don't want too much of a good thing.

• allnewappliances
    11 years ago

We were in a similar situation. Had a 5 X 7 rug in our family room and after buying it and living with it for a week or so, decided it was too small. We had spent a few hundred dollars on the rug so decided to live with it for awhile. 1 year later, we went out and bought the same exact rug just in a larger size....it now looks as though it's part of the room vs before it looked like it was just a small rug thrown down.
    In your set-up I would agree the larger rug turned the other way looks the best.

• vanillafields
    11 years ago

In your room, with that setup, I like the bigger one better, turned the long way with the sofa's legs placed upon it. In my living room, which is about the same width but much longer, I have a 5x8 rug, but it just works better for the furniture placement, and just as an anchor for the coffee table, accent chair and an ottomsn, leaving a 2-feet walkway between it and the fireplace.. It all depends on the room and the furniture.
    I really like your rug, maybe similar pattern in 8x10?

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"The bigger one, turned 90 degrees, front sofa legs on the rug, couch centered on rug "

Ditto that!

• loribee
    11 years ago

I wish you could try a 6x9, I think that would be just right. :)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!