Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

What do you think of this bed?

jakabedy
9 years ago

I'm struggling to pick out something new for our master bedroom. The house is a Pueblo Revival style with vigas, etc. But the master is fairly small. I got rid of my trusty sleigh bed because it just didn't suit the house, and the footboard and the curves of the thing took up too much space in the room. Now the hunt is on.

I want an upholstered bed of some kind, and DH was wanting something with some wood or some leather, and I came across this one. Its bonded leather -- which I know is to leather what MDF is to wood -- but in the sueded finish it seems to look pretty good (not shiny and sticky like most bonded leather). My other option is the Pottery Barn Lorraine bed. It's three times the price I'm OK with spending that much, but bargains are always welcome), but I know I'd like it. It's less masculine than the Canterbury, but DH is OK with it.

Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Canterbury bed

Comments (14)

• dedtired
    9 years ago

It's an attractive bed if a bit heavy in appearance. One big red flag. See those wood corners at the bottom of the bed frame? They are going to bash the living daylights out of your shons while making the bed. If the room is small, the gashes will be even more painful. If I were buying a bed for a smaller room, I would get just a headboard.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

The Canterbury seems like a good compromise between looks and cost. I don't know anything about the downside of bonded leather and I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but if you see the bed in person, you're comfortable with whatever negatives accrue to bonded leather and it looks good, I would go for it. I prefer the more classic lines of the Canterbury to those of the Lorraine.

• mdln
    9 years ago

One of the most masculine beds I've seen!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like it, but yes, it's pretty manly. I also like the pallet wall behind it.

Do you need a whole bed, including frame or could you just go with a headboard? h

West Elm has a leather tufted headboard on sale. It says real leather, but the price seem suspiciously low. Maybe because of the elephant gray?
    http://www.westelm.com/products/leather-grid-tufted-headboard-g025/

And then there's IKEA's Dyed through top grain leather
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39930563/#/S99930555

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown leather beds on Houzz

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Love the way it looks! I do not like headboard only beds unless the room is very small.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think that Canterbury bed is gorgeous and would be perfect for an adobe revival with vigas. It is very masculine, but you can soften it up with the bedding and pillows, rugs, bedside tables...
    Don't care for the PB Lorraine at all. It looks like vinyl to me.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Agree--I think I would do just a headboard if the room is small.

I have never had any leather furniture, but I've always wondered..and this may be a dumb question but...can you smell the leather smell or does that go away? I would find it difficult to sleep with that smell all night long.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

One thing to consider; cheap beds often squeak. We bought our former lake house furnished, and the (otherwise lovely) master bed drove us nuts. DH finally bolted the headboard to the wall. Still squeaked.

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

I like the looks of the Canterbury but agree those little wooden legs are going to be toe killers. Since the bedroom is also small, I'm seconding just a headboard.

• jakabedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, all. No one shrieked in horror about the bonded leather, so that's a good sign. I thought about doing a headboard only, but then I'm dealing with a metal bed frame (always gets my toes -- worse than the sleigh bed ever did!) and a bed skirt. I was thinking a fully upholstered bed would be simpler - just fluff the duvet over. The room is about 12' x 12.5'.

It IS very masculine, but I'm OK with that. It goes with the house. I'll soften it with linens. Unfortunately I won't be able to see it in person. It will be a leap of faith online purchase. I'm going to pull the trigger. I'll come back and update once it's in the room.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I like it, but in a 12 x 12 room, those extra inches where the footboard part is will matter. I would do just a headboard.

Do you have any cats? My cat will only claw leather, which is my DH's office chair. So I can't buy any leather furniture. lol

• allison0704
    9 years ago

When did you move? Haven't seen you around for awhile, although I'm not here as often.

• jakabedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Allison,

I haven't been around much either. We moved to Santa Fe! I moved out here in February to start work and DH joined me in April after our house sold.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I'm anxious to see it in your room. It sounds like a perfect match for your home :)

Sponsored
Anne O'Connor Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Best of Houzz Interior Design Firm