Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynes123_gw

Final countdown - help pick 1 2 3 or 4

jaynes123_gw
9 years ago

This is front of new build house.
house. Now to pick glass or no glass door and shutters or no shutters. NOTE Ground floor is not actually done, I pasted it onto photo.

I like all four. Would appreciate hearing whether you:
> only like one of these as the front door
> just like one more than other but both work
Same for shutters - do you like both with or without shutters or is it definitely only with or only without.

ON ONE HAND think with glass door is nice, lines up well with windows above but also think whiteness of solid door may balance all the white on the left side of house.

SAME for shutters - do they balance the white and fill that wall out better or do they seem out of place because no other shutters.

This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 16:39

Comments (24)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

#4 or #3 in second place.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I say no shutters; as the facade is already pretty busy, I don't think they work.

I assume the door is a back door? If so, glass. If a front entrance, solid.

Good luck!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

#2. I like the glass echoing the windows above.

Since there are so many windows that don't get shutters, I don't like the shutters. They should be, or look like, functioning shutters. Why would only two windows in a house full of windows have the ability to be shuttered?

It's a lovely house. I love the blue and white.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

#2, with a potted tree of some sort by the window on the right.

ML

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Appreciate your "votes". Its hard when I like all four. Also updated original to note this is front of house.

Thanks hhireno, I prefer the level of contrast and I dont take offense if someone doesnt like it, thinks its too much - actually understand as its not for everyone but for me, exactly what I wanted.

The ground level is not the first floor.
    Front door opens into small foyer with stairs up to 1st floor and also with a interior ground level door to under house storage. The window at ground level left is actually the garage.
    Was pleased to not look like the elevated house it actually is. Theyre fine but much prefer the house looking like its not raised.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I think the pics are mislabeled. Anyway, I vote for glass door, no shutters.

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

#2 first place - prefer the glass unless you are concerned about security. Base plantings could dress up the right side instead of shutters.

#4 second place - If no base plantings are planned for right side - shutters add interest.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

glass and no shutters

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I think glass door and no shutters.

However, will anybody ever see the house from such a far away perspective? In other words, it may be worthwhile to see what it looks like from closer up. Perhaps a solid door will look better and make more sense in terms of function than the aesthetics from a distance.

• mary52zn8tx
    9 years ago

I like the glass door and the shutters. I think they help balance the right side of the house to all that is going on on the left.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Solid door, no shutters. There's enough glass going on with all the windows. I think the solid door grounds the house. If you are concerned about privacy/security, a solid door allows you to install a peep hole.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

# 4----I know the shutters aren't on any other windows and are just "decoration" but for me somehow they give the house a more balanced and complete look.

The only misgiving I have about the glass door is for security reasons, but I do think it looks best.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OoOps - your right, i did mislabelled/ corrected titles on photos but did not change photos.

SHUTTERS - 1 Yes, 9 No
    GLASS - 8 Yes, 2 No

Kind of suspected on shutters, my contractor had same concern to add them.

Surprised on the glass - I like both but thought consensus would be for no since all woods more traditional front door.

This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 13:19

• localeater
    9 years ago

No Shutters. Glass versus solid door has other factors for me. Where do you live? How big is front yard? Is privacy an issue?

Where I live now, it would be glass door, where I used to live it I would selected solid door because I had small front yard and could see people on side walk.

• annac54
    9 years ago

#4. I like the shutters because it balances the business on the other side. Solid front door.

Re-count the votes :)

• johnnycabot
    9 years ago

No shutters, glass door-unless security an issue. What an awesome home!

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

.... Where do you live? How big is front yard? Is privacy an issue?

No privacy issue.
    While we can access upstairs thru this door, it will primarily be used to access storage under house/ yardwork and as access between front / back of house since length is 65 feet, a long walk around.

Since we need a door and could go upstairs from it, thought to make it more 'front door' looking instead of discreet door.

Attached shows traffic in / out of prior house before rebuild for us / neighboring family members, all located to the left as also is the shore.

Thank you again to all who helped with their opinions !!

This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 15:08

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Solid door, no shutters.

Shutters make it look too busy.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I like with and without shutters, but definitely glass door!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i would say #3 is my first choice.

but, that being said, i usually like glass on my front door--- currently need to be changing a front door and am struggling with what to go with myself-- i think with your house i would go with a solid door since it is on the bottom/basement level (tho we have glass french doors on our walkout basement...)
    i think either would really look just fine!!! i would go with shutters because i usually like shutters on houses- especially those with siding...

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I like number 4, shutters and glass doors

• amykath
    9 years ago

glass door and no shutters. I agree there is plenty going on with all of the windows and the design (love it) that you do not need another element (shutters).

• carp123
    9 years ago

#3! then some thought out landscaping.

• User
    9 years ago

Glass door
    No shutters

I think a single solid door looks insubstantial and out of place amidst all the glass. And there are so many ground floor windows a solid door would not have any effect on security, IMO.