Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelende

Need to protect wood floors from scratchy chair legs

shelende
15 years ago

The stick on felt pads I purchased at Home Depot for the bottom of my chairs don't stay on. What can I put on the bottom of my chairs to protect my wood floors that will stay on and not come off?

Comments (15)

• emagineer
    15 years ago

Is there something on the chair legs causing the felt to come off? I use these on everything and have not had a problem. Perhaps seal the bottom of the legs with a poly and then put new ones on.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

I have always had good luck with the stick on pads. Especially after the chair has been sat on a few times. Did you buy the thick pads, make sure you are not using the thin felt pads that you put on the feet of nick nacks to protect that item from scratching the top of furniture. I dont recommed the magic glides, they actually scratched my floor. Are you buying the right size pad? Make sure the bottom of the chair leg has a clean surface.

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

We have the same problem. The pads come off because they rub across the edges of the flooring strips and get caught. I couldn't find a solution so I have a rug in the dining room, but I would love to figure out something for the chairs because I don't particularly like my rug and can't afford a new one!

• tinker_2006
    15 years ago

Are you removing the original plastic disk they have on the bottom of the chairs? If not - pull them out and then put the felt disk on. I have used these for years without a problem, but the plastic disk need to be removed.

• natal
    15 years ago

I tried the felt pads. Found them to be a dust magnet and it didn't take long before they started to "shift" with the constant chair movement. Switched to Magic Sliders and haven't had a problem since. They come in a variety of sizes and styles. I have the ones with grip tips that stretch to fit the chair leg. You can buy them at Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, Walmart, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic Sliders

• n2bach1
    15 years ago

I recently had some new hardwoods installed and the workers told me to hot glue the felt pads on the feet of the furniture. I've not done it yet, but probably will.

Hope that might help you.

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

I used the safe glides like terriks for all my chair and table legs. Put them on 8 years ago and have never had any slip off. They do collect dust and pet hair, but if you have pets it's unavoidable, so cleaning the bottom of the pads needs to be done occasionally!

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Sand the bottoms of the legs, dust them off and glue gun the felt pads and apply pressure until they dry. They'll be good for years.

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I have very very heavy wood chairs and they have destroyed my wood floor. I've tried everything, even the nail on kind and nothing helps. These are better than nothing but not good enough. My last resort is to add wheels.

• carriem25
    15 years ago

ON my previous wood dining chairs, I bought a set of knitted "chair socks" at the farmer's market. The little old lady shared her top secret information with me - glue the socks on with white glue. It dries clear and is easy to remove if you take off the socks.

Carrie

• pegrini
    15 years ago

Just a warning about Magic Sliders and hardwood floors: I also have trouble with felt pads being magnets for dust (and oh, the cat hair!) and will probably remove them at some point... to replace them with a rug. But though other people really like the teflon sliders, I ended up with a huge scratch on my oak floor because of a tiny speck of sand that caught underneath the slider. I never had that problem with the felt pads.

• bjellys
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have found the answer to this after going up the felt pad route which I found was not very good If the chairs are in constant use .

I had a eureka moment and decided to cut up pads with a sharp knife from a thick real leather belt I stress the belt must be about 3mm to 4mm thick and real leather not faux leather. I then bought a mitre glue kit ( which is super glue with a spray on activator ) I then cleaned the bottom of the chair leg to remove any glue from where the felt pads had been then degreased with a spirit cleaner .when the chair leg was dry I applied the glue to the leather pad then sprayed the bottom of the chair leg with activator and placed the pad on firmly.

One note of caution super glue can do real damage if you spill it on your furniture so make sure when using it you cover up anything and be very careful where you put the super glue down.

My chairs have now been in service for a month now pads are fine and floor is fine.

• User
    8 years ago

We have wood floors in the kitchen and travertine in the dining room with felt pads on all chairs. The chairs on travertine have to be replaced about every three months or so. The kitchen chair pads are replaced about twice a year. Unfortunately there is not a simple fix for this u less you want very ugly rubbed shoes on your chair legs. :-(

• Marty Hart
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I just built a Cedar Deck. What kind of material can I put on the Bottom of my Wooden Adirondack Chairs to keep them from scratching it?? Thanks.