Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Don't you hate when Halloween shows up early?

Ughh! And this is a second story window, I'll have to get the pressure washer out to get rid of it.

Comments (33)

• User
    12 years ago

Holy Moly!!!! PIA to do but worth the effort, especially for that pretty view!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Aw jeepers, I HATE spiders inside and usually leave them alone outside, but that one? Wow. Get that power washer out. I have never seen anything quite like that web! Yuck.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

So get a witch's shawl on
    A broomstick you can crawl on
    We're gonna pay a call on
    The Bumblebeez family!

;-)

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I hope that's not a black widow! The web is amazing. Awful, but amazing.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haha cute poem! no, it's not a black widow, a spider I have seen enough to often.
    Last fall I moved some rocks from the abandoned property next to us, and they were crawling with black widow nests. I saw five spiders. I still want more of those rocks, but I'm going to spray the pile before I go back. Dh has asked when am I going to finish my garden bed border (with those rocks) but I was thoroughly creeped out.

It took me forever to move the rocks too...I used my grabber and a broom handle to loosen a rock from the pile, rolled it a couple times to examine it, then picked it and put it in the back of the pick up.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I officially hate summer today. I just got stung by a Bumblebee.
    Don't they know I'm their friend?!!

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

It looks like a wolf spider to me. They are a good spider to have around because they eat the nasty bugs in your yard the ones you don't want hanging around.

Black widows are black with a red hour glass on their bodies and not nearly that big.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

oh, thanks, carol. From the size of that web, it looks like he's meaning to catch a LOT of bugs!

Bumblebeez, you be careful out there! :)

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

That's part of the theme song from The Addams Family. And now I can not seem to get it out of my head, which may be almost as horrifying as your spider web. ;-)

Sorry about the sting! That is no fun!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's actually a smart place to build a web as that's my bedside lamp and at night there are a ton of bugs thumping against the window. I don't have WT's btw.

Auntjen, I thought it might have been!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Bumlble you brought up an EXCELLENT point for all. I've been there.

When we installed our cellar we moved the foundation rocks of an old home about a 100 years old to decorate around the cellar.

First time we went to the cellar there was a black widow.

A month later, we found a black widow under our picnic table on the patio!

All because of the rocks we brought close to the house that were in dirt in back of our acre.

Now terminix sprays the cellar (and house) every 3 months.

Me? I'd get some Raid. My rule is, if they're outside they're fine, inside, they're gone. No telling how many babies they have that you can't even see. RAID. lol

• natal
    12 years ago

I've never seen a web like that. If it's a wolf check her back for babies.

Here is a link that might be useful: wolf spider with babies

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

bumblebeez, surely not a honey bee got you. It's those yellow jackets. grrr

that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is fun watching her through the glass eat things.

I'll look for babies.

It was a genuine bumblebee that got me. I was moving a tarp and it was on it. I felt something on my leg and looked down, and there it was attached to my thigh.

I ran screaming into the house....to promptly type out my anguish.

Between watching out for every living thing out to get me and snakes, I'm surprised I'm not more jittery than I am. But today, was glorious. I mowed grass, the sky was deep blue and the wind was blowing. Then we had five thunderstorms, with hail, that were equally glorious.

But my grass was mowed and I was snug inside making shrimp goat cheese pizza!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

Boy that's a big one! I have a cringe-worthy memory .... I grabbed (bare handed) a rake that had been leaning against the house and one of THOSE was on the handle. I was wondering why the handle felt kind of rubbery:(

Get out the hose bumble!

• User
    12 years ago

UGH! EWW! Bleechy, blech, BLECH!! It is kind of a neat to see the web. There was one of those (at least it looked like that) on my porch a few weeks ago. Ha, you should've saw me with the spray. I think it's the yucky little legs that get to me.

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Ugh, this totally needed a warning on it...I thought maybe I'd see a black & orange color scheme, not my 8-legged nemesis.

Black widows look like cartoon spiders...little black & red balls on legs. Terribly creepy, but at least they tend to move more slowly than many spiders (like they know they're big, bad stuff).

I was thinking funnel spider, but Carol could be right about the wolf spider (thank god I'm not familiar with them), or maybe grass spider? Ick Ick Ick!!! I really can't fathom a "good" spider...particularly not one with a painful, poisonous bite! I second the recommendation for a can of Raid...I wonder if they make one with a long shot like they do with wasp spray? I had some itchy red bumps on my shoulder shortly after we got married last summer and found a sizeable spider web behind MY side of the bed (did it *know* I hated it?). I wanted to move...no idea how you can sleep with that near by, let alone watch it eat! *shudder*
    Common Spiders In and Around Homes

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider Identification

• sable_ca
    12 years ago

Other than its appearance, another way to tell that this is not a black widow is because black widows are very reclusive and shy. They don't spin their webs - which are very messy, not the kind of gossamer cloud outside your window - in public, certainly not on windows and doorways. They don't want to see you and they don't want you to see them. That's why they're found behind rock piles, in wood piles and back in dark garage corners.

I hope that you won't use an insecticide on her. She might survive a mild spray of water and just fall down and go elsewhere. She's a very useful critter.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I don't know the name of the spider but they're very common here in OK. We get them at times between the windows too.

If you ever see a Black Widow, you'll know it. And their webs are atrocious, they're the stickiest webs ever, as if they have super glue on them.

Wolf spiders are common spiders also, they sometimes walk in our house if we leave the front door open in the summer with only the storm door there. They're huge and fast.

• B H
    12 years ago

Ok. I have to admit that I thought you were going to vent about all the Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations at your local craft store (in my case, they are all on display already at Hobby Lobby!).

I tried to clear away a spider web from one of our "eyebrow" windows the other morning and my 3 yr old DS about flipped out that Mommy was taking away the spider's house and his hard work. Eek. He was hysterical. The little guy gets mad when I squish bugs. Had to get rid of it during nap time.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I guess I'm the only oddball here; I find it all fascinating. It reminds me of when i was about 12 and a spider built a similar, though certainly not as elaborate, as your spider's web. I watched her every night and was heartbroken when cold weather took her away.

I'd still be watching, if that web were outside my window.
    Its particularly interesting to me that she was smart enough to build it close to the best food source.
    Dee

• natal
    12 years ago

Dee, I find them fascinating too ... as long as I know they're not poisonous.

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

I'm with Dee, I don't mind spiders at all. We have tons of common garden spiders that come around in the summer. They eat aphids and other nasty bugs, so I welcome them.

There is a tiny cream colored spider that we do find in the house sometimes and that puppy HURTS when it bites you.

I don't spray chemicals to get rid of bugs, only insecticide I use is Tero for ants when they come in my house, but if they're outside, I let 'em be. I will hit things with the garden hose if I am suspect there will be something that will get me, but I tend to be more on the side of letting Nature do her thing. Don't get me wrong, tho...if it's a non-beneficial insect, or non-native, it's dispatched, but not usually with pesticides.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't use insecticides outside. I do inside though, and that has gotten rid of most creepy crawlies we were getting downstairs (centipede like things- tons, and scorpions).
    We still get spiders downstairs but not as much.

Huge Wolf spiders hover on the doorstep trying to get in all the time. Yesterday, I opened the back door and a toad hopped in the house.

Everything in my yard grows well and is mostly problem free because the balance isn't upset.

I'll try not to kill the spider but I would like her to relocate :-)
    No babies present, btw.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

bumblebeez, you certainly have a lot of creatures! Do you mind saying what state you live in?

Here in SoCal we have a lizards, snakes including rattlesnakes, (do you have those?). We don't have lots of insects, (at least coming in the house) except for ants. And fleas! There's a big problem with fleas here.

I mentioned on the washer/dryer thread that a repairman found a foot-long lizard living in my dryer. I very much dislike the lizards, but my beagle is fascinated by them.

• alex9179
    12 years ago

I'm a spider lover, although I don't care for them to be inside and will try to shoo it out before killing it. Hopefully she'll move along when you take down her web, but I wouldn't be surprised if she built in that spot again with the good eatin'.
    Unfortunately, I do use an insecticide once a year on the lawn for fire ant prevention. My kids play outside all of the time and I can't afford for them to be swarmed. Thankfully the garden snakes, toads, lizards, frogs and spiders still seem to do well in the warm months. I've accidentally picked up a little snake TWICE while weeding. Not great for the heart.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nancy, I'm in the upper western part of South Carolina. The base of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have never seen a rattler, thankfully.

I'm sure there are fleas but the dogs get Frontline Plus so we never have them in the house.

We have a lot of wildlife here because our house is in the middle of undeveloped, natural countryside. We have six acres, the neighbors have 8, 6, 10, and so on and we all have an acre carved out for our homes.
    So a very rural development of sorts.

We see deer and wild turkeys daily. And snakes way too often. And rabbits all the time.

For about a year, I had a huge one come out each dusk to the birdfeeder, so sweet.

I love all of it. I grew up in Suburbia and never saw a rabbit, snake or possum in our development.

And ONE, yes, only one, hummingbird. He chases others away.
    Comes back every year.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Ditto Sable and Pesky. I don't like to use pesticides. We do have termite treatment every 10 years and whatever they use at the perimeter of the house must deter insects because we rarely get them in the house. We are seeing some red ants right now I think because of the heat and dry conditions, then just this past week we have had a good bit of rain.

I don't like pesticides in the house because of the pup - and us too.

Bumble - that is how I grew up. My parents and grandparents shared acerage and there are only about 5 other homes in their area. We are still rural here but less acreage (about 1.5). Where we are located we do still have the occasional deer, fox, etc. and plenty of rabbits, squirrels and birds.

Re the hummingbirds, we are not seeing them as much this year. I wonder if it is due to our weird weather. They started coming around early but now I am hardly seeing them.

Okay - in for a break, back outside!

tina

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

bumble and tina, (tina, you are in Tennessee, is that right?), your part of the country sounds so pretty! I really want to visit the southeast. I've only been as far south as Virginia.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We're even then, Nancy. I've only been as far West as Wyoming.

• mjsee
    12 years ago

deeinohio--we can be oddballs together. I think it's cool...and would be tempted to leave it until the fall. But I also live in a very wooded area. I'd do nothing BUT clean out webs if I felt the need to clean every web I saw.

(Lazy, I am!)

• natal
    12 years ago

I grew up in Suburbia and never saw a rabbit, snake or possum in our development.

We live in the middle of the city and get opossums, raccoons, snakes, etc. in our yard. Fortunately no deer. ;)

Re the hummingbirds, we are not seeing them as much this year. I wonder if it is due to our weird weather. They started coming around early but now I am hardly seeing them.

We had them for a couple months, then it was pretty quiet during May (maybe nesting), now they're back and very active. Yours could be nesting.

• htnspz
    12 years ago

Can the spider go into the spider relocation program?