Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oopsie913

any color ideas for this beamed ceiling? pic included

oopsie913
9 years ago

when we moved in everything was orangish trim, very 60's I wanted a cleaner look and pale walls so I could accessorize as seasons change but I wasnt sure I should paint the beams in this family room (which is directly connected to a black and white kitchen with davenport tan and urban looking brick. The floors are dark hardwood. Anyway. I stained the beams really dark but frankly the ceilings just feel too high.
am thinking to gho a speck darker on the ceiling and do a semi gloss or satin on beams. the walls are Benjamin moore Dove wing and trim is white dove. We have pale oak in hallway and dining room Does anyone have a suggestion what to do with the ceiling and beams and what finish? My theme is basically black, white/creme, grays. Thanks for any help before I make my husband wreck his neck and back up there. :)

Comments (13)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Maybe something a smidge darker, like BM Smokey Taupe?

I would not put a gloss on the beams. At most, a satin finish.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 11:44

• Oakley
    9 years ago

From what little I can see, I actually like the color. The room seems cheery and bright. Can you take a picture of the whole area?

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I second what Tibbrex says, Smokey Taupe would look great. I think with that tone you won't need to do anything to the beams.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I think it is lovely. No suggestions. I would relish in its beauty but I know how easily we tire of our own surroundings. I am sure whatever you choose it will be appropriately attractive.

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

We have beams similar to yours - painted our living room a grey, with beams a little darker grey, ceilings white in our 70's house. It lightened up the room, which we sorely needed. Yours are very pretty, though!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I think it looks great as is. However, I think if it were my house I'd leave the ceiling the same color as the walls and paint the beams a little darker variation of the walls/ceiling.

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i do agree that the beams are very pretty dark, but our eyes directly go to the beams when we walk in and it makes the room seem less cozy to us. So at this point I wont make ceiling any different and will paint the beams only a satin of a slightly darker shade to see if that helps bring the ceiling down a bit. Hope so any other ideas still appreciated thanks so far! :)

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    9 years ago

heres a little better view

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    9 years ago

heres a little better view

{{!gwi}}

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you paint the beams darker, you're going in the opposite direction of what you say you want. The darker the beams from the ceiling, the more stark the contrast, the more the eye is drawn upward, and the higher the ceiling seems.

If you want the ceiling to see lower, paint it a darker color and close the gap between the color of the beams and ceiling and have less contrast between the two.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I would try leaving the beams alone and painting the rest of the ceiling a darker color, maybe squirrel tail? (Benjamin Moore shows squirrel tail as a color that goes with dove wing). I think that would lessen the contrast between the beams and the ceiling so the beams don't stand out as much and help lower the ceiling visually.

I would really hesitate to paint the beams as they are so lovely as is and it would be very difficult to go back once you have painted them. I would make painting them a last resort.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I like the beams as is:

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also feel they are too dark now , Tibbrix. I am sorry if i confused anyone Never wanted beams darker than they are now. I just wanted them darker than the walls
    But maybe the idea of just darker paint on ceiling is the best. since once i would paint the beams it would be ridiculous to go back to stained. Thanks all. Now to just find a complimentary paint for the dove wing. Ill check the smokey taupe. And squirrel tale. :)

This post was edited by oopsie913 on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 20:00

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer