Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grlwprls

The Attic Bedroom: Done

grlwprls
10 years ago

Thanks, pbteen ;-)

And thanks to all of you for convincing me to go ahead and paint the ceiling aqua (and for sticking with the color my daughter picked out)

BEFORE:

DURING (at that moment when I thought..."oh, ummm...yikes!")

AFTER (yes, there are a few details to handle, but let's call it 98% done)

Desk Area (walnut elfa decor)

Bed Wall:

(there's a chair for reading that goes in this corner, but I have to get it out of storage)

At night:

And, from the second floor...it *does* sort of look like a swimming pool:

And it sort of reminds me of this picture from the British Library:

It wasn't exactly a super creative endeavor, just ordering the entire thing from pbteen as per my daughter's "heart's desire," but we did get to use a few things - some art from New Orleans and her ridiculously extensive Webkins collection (that she still likes).

The bathroom up there will be done in the next week or so. The shower up there hasn't been operational since we moved in, so I am excited to get it up and running.

Now we have two floors done - just need to get the floor that my husband and I share done.

Comments (41)

• pugga
    10 years ago

Wow! It looks great. Lucky girl to have that room. Everything she could want right at her fingertips. You'll probably never see her again.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Great transformation. Your daughter will enjoy this room for many, many years to come.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Wow is right! What a terrific space! Your daughter will surely love it...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

You did a great job maximizing the space. My girls would KILL for a spiral staircase, LOL. Very cute.

I have to ask --- is that a cheese grater? And a toaster oven?

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I love the shelf of stuffed animals. A few would have looked strange, but jamming it full of them is strangely decorative.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mtnrdredux,

Polymer clay. My daughter makes tiny food and other little treasures. You have to bake them and she's very responsible, so I let her keep the oven up there. The grater makes smaller bits of color that make it easier to blend into other colors.

The spiral staircase is cute (what with its big crystal ball) and it actually looks better with the new paint color. That Baby Diaper Green was not doing anything for the space. Honestly, the three wall colors that this house was painted when we bought it were, quite possibly, the ugliest colors I have ever seen! They are/were real energy suckers.

The staircase poses a real challenge for getting things into the room - thank goodness for elfa. And the Land of Nod Jenny Lind beds. I had a very tight dimension for the headboards. Typically, you could remove the window and hoist, but the PO who did this renovation clearly never thought ahead.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

ohhhh.... now i get it!

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lazygardens,

It also hides the top track of the elfa system which, despite the track cover, I still find strangely unappealing. Luckily, for about 4 years, every time anyone bought my daughter something, they bought her a Webkins. What's interesting is that they all have names and a life story. I don't know how she keeps it all straight. I guess that's the power of the young brain!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

So fantastic. If that were my room as a youth, I would never leave. Especially with my own toaster oven! Toast whenever I wanted it....
    Mtnrd, you had me looking for the cheese grater, finally saw it!

The oven and grater are used in a variety of craft/art projects. last week I used the nesco roaster and the faberware electric skillet for art thingies.

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

Charming start to finish. I have an attic reno but we did a lighter color on the ceiling than the walls..moved up one notch on the strip. I love the cool and classy look you achieved. It will serve her well till she is ready to move out ! You did great. c

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Perfect room for a young girl...you did a great job....love the colors!

• lizzie_grow
    10 years ago

The room is just wonderful!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

I LOVE it! What a fun and vibrant space!! The bedding is gorgeous, BTW. :)

I am sure I missed a paint color thread--what color did you use on the walls/ceiling? We just painted our spare/storage/exercise bike room aqua/Robin's egg/muted Tiffany Blue....BM's Antiguan Sky. I love how cheery, yet soothing that color is.

I hope your daughter enjoys her new space!!!

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

such a cozy space! are those Jenny Lind beds? And i love that she has a toaster oven up there for some late night hunger cravings...

• natesgram
    10 years ago

It looks like it belongs in the Pottery barn magazine. Love the bed and bedding. Looks like it's definitely a room she will like for a long time.

My daughter started a collection of My Little Ponies when she was about 8 and restarted collecting again at age 30. She now has over a thousand. I hope your daughter will hang on to her Webkins, you never know what they will mean later or their value.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

My daughter picked out that same color! I was feeling the same way when we started. And, after we painted but before the furniture and rug were in, it glowed an unearthly blue from the door, LOL!

Love everything!

• teacats
    10 years ago

Wonderful room!

Cozy, fun -- with lots of storage too!

Very well done indeed! :)

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous! Your daughter has great taste. The dark brown shelves look great with the wall color, love it.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The wall color is SW Aqueduct. It is *bright*, but the stuff helps tremendously.

The beds are from Land of Nod's Jenny Lind collection. They are really comfy and look great. The finish on them is very nice. Plus, the delivery guys were angels. They didn't even blink at taking the beds up the staircase, and they were incredibly careful not to chip the finish as they did have to swing them out through the railings to make the turn at one point.

I was so thrilled when they came out with the black since my daughter had said no to the original colors in the collection: aqua (ironic!), raspberry, and white and I had very few choices for beds that would fit up there and didn't need boxsprings.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. All this *stuff* being out would drive me crazy, but my daughter craves being surrounded by all her things. I've finally just learned to accept and embrace that.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Very nice, and definitely the right decision to paint the ceiling the same color.

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

Thank you for giving us such a terrific example of what a good idea it is to wrap an oddly shaped room in one rich color - particularly a color that is a little bit related to sky.

It expands the whole volume of space wonderfully.

• loribee
    10 years ago

Darling space!! :)

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Great job with the space planning, grlwprls--- the beds are wonderful and the black is so versatile. They look just right! The aqua color looks great with the other elements and is curiously soothing. Very thoughtful planning and a really nice result in what had to be a difficult project.... That staircase! It all looks great!!!

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Wow. What a lucky girl! I love it. I am ready to move in. :) fabulous job.....

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That is marvelous! Love the color and the way everything else in the room works with it. I would probably spend lots of time at the bottom of those stairs just gazing up. :)

• noellabelle
    10 years ago

Love it! What a fun and happy space for your daughter!

My oldest is almost 9, and she's been playing webkinz since she was 3...she's not as attached to them as she was, but there are probably 50 floating around the house still! : )

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Perfect! We have almost the same color in the powder room now, and the kitchen is one shade darker. Happy colors!

Looking forward to the bath.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

What an awesome teen room. I love it.

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

It looks great, I love the color! How old is your daughter

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

It really came out great!

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

Is that white square on the ceiling an electric plug? I think it would look goof if you painted it the same color as the ceiling.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My daughter is 13, happyladi. The white square is a light switch. Since it works the light that lights the staircase, I think it's probably a good idea for it to stand out.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I want that room for myself! Love it! I believe I spied a vegetable peeler, too.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha! No vegetable peeler, but don't give her any ideas LOL.

• mrsmortarmixer
    10 years ago

I love it and my daughters love it too! My youngest daughter Morgan thought those beds were hers for sure!

• scottiegee
    10 years ago

That's a very pretty paint color! I think it turned out nicely. I don't know what your other chair looks like, but I think the white one by the stairs would look nice in the corner with a dark teal throw. Just my two cents' worth.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Love, love, love it. The aqua is perfect.

• firstlastbuild
    10 years ago

I love your daughter's room. She is one lucky girl!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I love it! Those spiral stairs are wonderful. Probably not so great trying to get furniture up, but a really cool look.

• porkandham
    10 years ago

Great job!!!

• nini804
    10 years ago

I really love it...such a light, happy space! I bet she is so happy!