Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolj79

sage green paint with oak cabinets

carolj79
15 years ago

There are so many sage green paints out there! Yesterday I picked up a SW Clary Sage paint strip. So many here have said sage green goes so well with the orangey oak cabinets from the 80s which I have. The color looks very gray in my kitchen which faces south. I have quite a bit of natural light. The woman at SW also suggested either Believable Buff or Camelback. I am not sure I want those colors since the rest of my downstairs is painted Glidden Dapper tan, not much of a contrast. Bought Waverly valances at JCP which are the fairfield style in crimson with shades of tan, grey-blue, melon, crimson, a yellowy-green. Maybe I should just return the valances? My appliances are white, countertop beige/white combination, and the floor is a medium oak laminate. I know I do not want a yellow/gold, blue or peach paint for sure. Any other suggestions before my DH runs out and picks something horrible? LOL! Sorry no pic, but if you have the oak cabinets and could post a pic along with paint color used, I would be so appreciative. Thanks!

Comments (16)

• polkadots
    15 years ago

I have oak trim and my cabinets are an oak color although they are actually hickory wood. I used BM Olive Branch. I tried the Cleary Sage and other grayer sages and didn't like them. I love the Olive Branch as it is a more yellow green and to me it looks great with the oak. I think it actually makes my woodwork look richer. Good luck.

• msrose
    15 years ago

Here's a post with some green kitchens.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: green kitchens

• annkathryn
    15 years ago

This is a little dark, but it's BM Eden Green (I think?) with oak cabs:

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

A nice sage is SW Svelte Sage 6164. I think it is a lovely color and worth checking out!

• carolj79
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
    **Annakathryn, your green is lovely but not quite the shade I am looking for. I looked at the SW svelte sage and it is too gray for my kitchen.
    **Polkadots I think the clary sage could also be too gray for me. I will look at the BM olive branch.

• mom2sethc
    15 years ago

Hello,

My kitchen is SW Bamboo Shoot. It is a nice yellow/green. I have it with a light/med maple cabinet.
    Here it is in my unfinished Kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

Here is the same color in our bedroom:
    {{!gwi}}

Elaine

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

I helped a client stage his kitchen to sell. I had him paint the kitchen a Walmart color called either Streambed or Riverbed (pretty sure it's Streambed.)

I found it to be a really good color for that ubiquitous honey oak cabinetry. My girlfriend asked me for a suggestion for her oak kitchen, and I told her the same color. It came out looking great, and she said it actually made her cabinets look "on purpose".

Here is the only shot I saved from my client's house:

• cricket3395
    15 years ago

I have used BM fernwood green and I love it. It is a great neutral green and I have been able to use a lot of other greens in my accessories without them clashing with it.

• kerryokie
    15 years ago

My friend used BM Aura urban nature. It's a lovely green

• carolj79
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just returned from HD and took the plunge in buying paint! They mixed SW clary sage for me in Behr paint (prefer Behr). Behr has a rebate going on now for $5 off/gal. Will let you all know how I like it once we get the kitchen painted.

• momtotwins
    15 years ago

I am too late but I painted my kitchen BM Nantucket Grey (really a sage green). I love it! My cupboards are light maple but have oakish color too them.

• carolj79
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update: Okay, I did a test run of the SW clary sage on my walls, just one coat and it is almost dry. I don't think I like it at all. It has quite a gray/blue undertone. DH says, "It's fine". I think he is just tired of the whole process of me choosing a color. Anyway, he also said it will look different put on with a roller and two coats, I used a brush and only one coat. I know this is true, but...do I want to risk hoping I will like the color better then or start again w/ a new color? Will HD (had paint mised in Behr)return custom-mixed paint? Can says non-returnable but I recall someone posting on this forum they will return it if you don't use more than a quarter of the paint in the can. Maybe I could try selling it on CL.I am about to scrap the entire green family and go with a neutral, but my entire downstairs is Dapper Tan now except the half bath. At this point, a cream color looks pretty inviting. Any advice or thoughts? Thanks!!

• User
    15 years ago

I feel your pain... I didn't start painting yet but still am agonizing over the color.

norasnews bedroom
    paint color is BM Cheyenne green.
    contemplating painting my LR this color.
    {{!gwi}}

• trielders
    15 years ago

I had HD custom mix some paint in a blue color for a bedroom and went shopping to find a bedskirt for the comforter and ended up with a completely different comforter I liked better and returned the paint to HD and had them mix up a sage green. I would try return it.

• thermsen
    15 years ago

I have SW Whole Wheat in my kitchen (one shade darker than Believable Buff and one lighter than Camelback. I have considered green also, maybe BM Misted Fern? Here is a pic of my kitchen and a picture of a room I LOVE with the orangey wood. BTW, I think I'm the reason HD doesn't return paint anymore!

• carolj79
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just a quick update: FYI: HD will not return any custom-mixed paint. I am trying to decide on just using this paint or choosing a "neutral" color. Why is something that should be enjoyable so overwhelming?! Thanks for all of your pictures and advice!