Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tfm1134_gw

can anyone guess this color?

tfm1134
11 years ago

We are getting ready to paint our front porch ceiling (white house w/black shutters) and love the color of this porch ceiling and can't find any info on it. Can anyone give me a stab at a few colors that may be similar?

TIA

Comments (19)

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

Someone once posted here that a great color for porch ceilings was "SW Atmospheric", a pretty light blue. I looked it up at the time and saved the info for the future on my computer. On my monitor this ceiling looks light blue, so that's my stab at your question.

• tfm1134
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks patty, I did try Atmospheric but it was a little too bright baby blue on my ceilings. I would like it to have a hint of green without being to much like a baby's room

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

That blue has quite a lot of green in it - it's lovely! But I think it is more like SW7129 "Opera Glass," SW7130 "Aquacade," or SW7132 "Water Squirt."
    Benjamin Moore's "Antique Glassware," #1660, is a good candidate.
    There is also a lovely Donald Kaufman color (DKC-29) that has the green cast as well, but it's a little more subtle and not quite a luminous as the one in the photo.
    For a slightly 'dirtier" version, look at Farrow & Ball "Pale Powder."

• tfm1134
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much brownysmom. I will check those out

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

You're very welcome. I hope one of those will work. The trick with porch ceilings is to have enough color while keeping it light and luminous.

• tfm1134
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is what I am now finding out. I loved SW Window Pane but it was a bit too light and of course the next color Rainwash is a bit too dark. Making me crazy!

• suero
    11 years ago

Try BM Palest Pistachio

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Window Pane is one of my favorite colors to use when someone wants light blue walls. It has more sophistication than many light blues - never looks like a baby's room. It's a lovely backdrop for polished wood furniture and gold and/or silver leaf picture frames, looks great with natural materials like sisal and wicker and stone, and functions almost like a neutral with other colors.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

It looks similar to my porch ceiling, which is painted BM Lookout Point.

You might also take a look at BM Healing Aloe, which is a great color.

This is Lookout Point in the hallway of my summer place. I don't have a photo of it on the porch.

And here is Healing Aloe in a bathroom. It has more green in it than the color above, but it's still a blue.

• prairiemom61
    11 years ago

I love my SW Open Air. I will try to remember how to attach a picture. It's just the right light aqua.

• prairiemom61
    11 years ago

SW Open Air, it reads light blue with just a hint of green. Please excuse the construction. We took down a horrible vinyl ceiling and put up the beadboard. It awaits crown molding and other pieces, plus the new cement siding and trim will all be white. (we removed vinyl) We'll have dark green shutters. I think the Open Air is so soothing, plus I am becoming a believer that the "haint" blues really do ward off wasps. We haven't had a single wasp try to start a nest. We are still waiting on a few more pieces to get it all finished and touched up.

• msrose
    11 years ago

prairiemom - Wow, both of your colors look exactly like the one in the picture tfm originally posted. Did you by chance use that picture for inpsiration?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Interesting...our monitors must be different.
    Prairiemom's lovely soft blue looks far less green than the original post on my screen...

• bbstx
    11 years ago

In another thread, someone mentioned BM Wythe Blue as a porch ceiling. Could this be it?

• prairiemom61
    11 years ago

I think I may have used that pic as one of my inspiration photos, but I also used pics from various "haint blue" sites. Just google "haint blue porch ceilings" under images.

It really does read more blue green in person. It's so hard to take pictures. That day was hazy and hot, but a clear day takes an entirely different picture. Plus, it's just not finished yet. There will be strips of thin lattice painted Open Sky to cover the butt joints, and we'll have a white modest crown molding around all the edges once we get the satin white on the walls.

• prairiemom61
    11 years ago

I agree, it could be Wythe Blue, another chameleon blue. It changes with the time of day, the atmosphere and its surroundings. I think BM Wythe Blue has a bit more green/gray in it than SW Open Air.

• prairiemom61
    11 years ago

Looking at the photo again and comparing it to Azek products, I think it might be one of their PVC trim products. It comes in a blue very similar to this.

• redbazel
    11 years ago

Tfm, I know everyone's monitor reads colors a little different, so the exact color actually on that pretty porch ceiling might not be the color you want on yours. Just sayin...

I painted my master bedroom this Fall in Ben Moore Ashwood. I loved it in the living room and reading room on the For the love of a house blog. I was delighted to find that it may technically be a gray, but has a slight green cast or slight blue cast in various lights. To me, it looks really close to the photo you linked.

Red

• prairiemom61
    11 years ago

For the Love of a House's porch ceilings were top on my list of inspiration photos! It looks exactly like my color. I will have to look more closely at her blog again to find the exact color name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue porch ceiling

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz