Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laxsupermom

Score! New to Me CL sofas. Goodbye muppet couches!

14 years ago

I've been searching CraigsList for inexpensive replacements for my giant muppetlike overstuffed 80's leather furniture. DH felt that the leather sofas were comfortable and didn't understand the need for new furniture in a room he rarely uses(LR), hence the need to find acceptable replacement furniture for super cheap. Yesterday I brought home a velvet couch and matching loveseat w/ coordinating accent pillows for $300 for the both of them. Woohoo!

Here's the couch sitting in our backyard. My forearm cramped up bringing it in so DH went in to check his e-mail while I massaged the cramp out and snapped the pic.

The couch looks grey in the pic compared to the bright green of my hostas, but is a light sagey green IRL inside the house.

Comments (29)

• 14 years ago

That looks great and what a great price too!

• 14 years ago

Beautiful. It does look grey on my monitor, but even so, it's really pretty. Good deal!

Red

• 14 years ago

That's a sexy sofa! Nice score!

• 14 years ago

Thanks for the attagirls, everyone! I needed the validation, because DH wasn't overly excited about them. I'll post pics of them in the room after I've gotten rid of the other sofas. Right now the room is so full of furniture, I can barely get in there. I'm thinking with the high arms and backs, I'm going to have to search around for some taller side tables and sofa tables. Come to think of it, I don't know when my LR is going to be camera ready. ;)

• 14 years ago

That's a gorgeous sofa.

• 14 years ago

Very nice! Looks comfy too! Make sure you do before and after!

• 14 years ago

Nice! I'm super envious of your hostas though!

• 14 years ago

that is absolutely beautiful!!! I'll take it if you don't want it... except i have no place to put it...

but wow - what a deal...I mean steal!

be sure you do post pic when set up in your room - really want to see it!

• 14 years ago

Ah, don't worry about camera ready let's see how they look in your home. This one sure looks pretty as do your hostas.

• 14 years ago

What a find! Lets see them inside!

• 14 years ago

gorgeous sofa, spectacular price!

now i am curious to see the 'muppet' sofas.
    like this ?;

or like this?

• 14 years ago

I think you got a deal, like them ever so well and the sofa looks very comfortable. We all hope that you'll post a picture when you're done!

• 14 years ago

This the muppet chair of the muppet sofa set crammed over to the other side of the room.

Now imagine that horrible monstrosity in a loveseat and couch size.

Crazy enough I posted the leather furniture on CL with several pictures and have 5 separate people who want to come and take a look at them today.

I promise I'll post pics of the "new" sofa & loveseat in situ as soon as the leather stuff is taken away(all that furniture is literally crammed into my LR right now). Maybe you all can help me with ideas on larger side tables and accessorizing when I post.

marti8a, we love our hostas, too. We've divided them and given away at least 40 2-gal pots to family and friends over the last few years and they still come back the most gigantic mutant hostas every year. We honestly don't do anything to them. No watering. No feeding. No amending the soil. It's weird. We have to coax anything else to grow, though.

• 14 years ago

As promised, I snapped a pic of the new sofas in the LR as soon as the old stuff was hauled away. I didn't even bother picking up. Incidentally the muppet sofas sold for $350 so I made $50 and got new furniture, too.

I obviously need to get some taller tables. There's a wingback chair out of the camera view which I moved a shorter end table next to. I need some new artwork and could use a hand making things pretty.

• 14 years ago

Wow, that is lovely furniture. Hubby should be proud of you. YOU did good. They look great with your rug too!
    Karen L

• 14 years ago

Oooh...LOVE THEM. I adore velvet. You did good, like getting paid to buy new stuff!

• 14 years ago

Those look great with your rug too! Whatta deal!

• 14 years ago

What a wonderful change, they go so well with your rug also. I think you made an excellent purchase. Enjoy!!!

• 14 years ago

Very nice! I've never seen any quite like them.

• 14 years ago

Good for you getting new furniture and coming our $50.00 ahead! And I agree, these are much prettier.

• 14 years ago

Great job!!!

• 14 years ago

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I'm going to head out to Homegoods today to look at side tables and lamps.

• 14 years ago

They look great in your LR! and how cool you made $$ on your old set, I love it when that happens. I also noticed the lacrosse stick on the sofa already!! too funny!

• 14 years ago

New sofas and $50 in hand to boot? You scored! The new sofas are just beautiful and they really do look brand new. Isn't CL just the bomb? Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Now, about those hostas... yours are gorgeous! I flunked Hostas 101. Every time I've tried hostas the slugs eat them. Makes no difference that I slug bait. The hostas simply disappear off the face of the earth as if snatched up by an alien ship. Any advice? Do you have to slug/snail bait forever and ever? Or sleep in a chair in the yard with a shotgun across your lap?

• 14 years ago

cooperbailey, it's funny, but I don't even see the sticks anymore. They're everywhere. I had to scroll up to see what you were talking about.

oceanna, I wish I had hosta growing tips for you, but honestly, I don't do a darn thing. The hosta babies that I've split off the main plants and given away also grow like gangbusters, too. I wish everything grew so easily. Everything else in my entire yard has to be coaxed and babied. I've been a little derelict this year, so the hostas and rhododendron are the only things thriving. My peonies just opened up, but they're awfully leggy. You can see in the pic, that I've been neglecting my weeding duties.

• 14 years ago

woohoo! i am doing the happy dance for you. :)

• 14 years ago

Love your new furniture. Looks very high end. Are they as well made as they look? $50.00 can go a long ways on CL. :+)

• 14 years ago

Why are we calling them muppet couches?

We have a muppet recliner which dh picked up from a friend who was moving away. It's sooooo ugly it needs to stay in dh's office with his piano that he won't let go.

• 14 years ago

donnagwd, I call them muppet couches because of the overstuffed bulbous 80's shape to them. You could staple a thin scarf with pompoms on the ends for feet to the bottom of them and they'd look like they would just dance away in that crazed muppet way.

golddust, they appear to be very well made. The frames are solid and heavy. The dust cover on the bottom is a nice heavy fabric, not just scrim. The previous owners replaced these with a leather sectional that their kids could climb and jump on with impunity. We have a rumpus room for such shenanigans. The LR is for entertaining my guests. The kids are allowed to play there, but high-spirited action is in the rec room.