Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txnewmommy

need help w/ mirror

txnewmommy
14 years ago

I am searching for a mirror to go above this chest:

My budget for the mirror is $500 (or less).

Here is what used to be in this place with the "old" arrangement (different console, artwork, lamps, etc behind chair):

Note: The accessories & artwork on the "old" console have been moved to a new location in my home so I will need to start on this from scratch.

Here is the rest of the room for reference . . .

Any ideas??

Comments (5)

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

First of all, your home is absolutely gorgeous! You have so many pretty pieces of furniture, including the new chest which fits in just perfectly (although I really liked your 'old' one, as well.) Do you know what type mirror you would like to see above the chest? What shape, material, finish/color, size, etc? There are SO many to choose from.

BTW, would you mind sharing where you purchased your leather recliner? I really like it and I am looking for a new recliner to go in our family room. I'm not typically a fan of leather recliners but that one is so tailored with such clean lines. It is quite different from the ones I'm used to seeing.

• parma42
    14 years ago

I'd do a really nice round mirror.

It will echo the lines of your Bombay and add some more softness to all the angles in your space.

You could get one with a textured frame, maybe leather or rattan.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

To me, the space is crying out for an oval mirror over that lovely Bombay style dresser. Perhaps not the one shown, but something that would complement the colors of the dresser hardware and finish of the piece. If you scroll down on this site, there is a Palang oval mirror that might look quite interesting above this dresser. You have a lovely room thus far!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oval mirrors

• txnewmommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SCARLET MORGAN: Thanks for your kind words! I am all over the place w/ the style/finish/shape of mirror that I would like to see. I am open to almost anything. Right now I am leaning toward mirrors with an antique gold finish. I am drawn to traditional oval-shaped mirrors as well interesting shapes like these:

http://www.bronsondesign.com/mirrors/12733P.html

http://www.bronsondesign.com/mirrors/08046P.html

http://www.csnmirrors.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=UM6519&refid=FR33-UM6519

Recliner: I absolutely love this chair! It is the perfect compromise for my husband & myself. It fits him well "as is" and once I throw a decorative lumbar pillow in the back of it, it is a dream for me. The recliner is the "Springfield" model by Hancock and Moore. I purchased it online through The Keeping Room in Alexandria, VA.

PARMA 42 & NANNY2A: I see what you guys mean about a round or oval mirror to soften the angles of the room & complement the piece. I hadn't thought of that but I think you are right!

What size (dimensions) of mirror do you think I should be looking for? The chest is 48"wide x 24"deep x 36"high.

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

Hi again, Txnewmommy~

Sorry I'm just now seeing this again. I haven't been around in a few days. Have you decided on a mirror yet? If not, I thought I'd throw in a few more comments.

First of all, I totally agree with the others, I think I would definitely stick with a mirror that is more oval or round to contrast with all the hard angles you currently have going on in your beautiful family room. Of course, if you find a square or rectangle one that you just love, then you should definitely get it! ;0)

I REALLY, REALLY like the sunflower mirror you have posted the link to the best! It is really pretty and fun. (I'll post a picture of it below for those who haven't seen it.) In a way, I think it kind of mimics the locks on each of the drawers of the chest and would compliment the roundness of the gorgeous table by the windows. I'm not particularly fond of the 'Willow' mirror because I do not feel the frame is substantial enough. I think you need something that makes a bolder statement.

Now that I know what you like, I will keep looking for you.

Oh, and thanks for the info on the recliner. It is really, really nice.

Scarlet

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH