Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maire_cate

Ethan Allen relocation sale in S. Jersey & marketing changes

maire_cate
9 years ago

Yesterday I happened to drive past the Ethan Allen near my home and they had a large "Moving to a new Location" sign out front. Somehow my car knew I needed lamps and an area rug and it headed into the parking lot. My E A was an 18,000 square foot free standing building which is one of their largest.

All the floor models were marked down - everything from sample window treatments, finials, and silk flowers to armoirs, beds and dining rooms. I really didn't need anything but many of their upholstered chairs caught my eye.

I managed to leave with only a queen size matelesse coverlet and shams for the guest room and a silk throw that I'll give to DIL at Christmas.. I may stop back after taking some measurements - there were some lamps and nicely framed prints that I might be able to use.

The sales manager told me that E A is changing their marketing strategy, partly in response to the changes in how people shop for furniture. Their stores range from 12,000 to 18,000 sq. ft. and they've decided that the larger stores aren't profitable enough to continue to stock with all that inventory.

I did alert DS and DIL about the sale since they're in the early stages of decorating. And if they don't find anything there they can check out the new Habitat for Humanity Restore that just relocated to larger quarters across the street.

For those of you familiar with South Jersey - this store is on Route 38 in Maple Shade, NJ. and is moving into an empty storefront that Pottery Barn recently vacated when it moved into the Cherry Hill Mall. The new location is in a "lifestyle shopping center" in Marlton.

The new space is probably half the size and the sales manager said they'll no longer display their products in the traditional room arrangement. It will look more like a typical furniture store.

Comments (4)

• quilly
    9 years ago

The change in marketing might explain why their catalog seems smaller too. My hairdresser's sister works at Ethan Allen and there are always a few catalogs in the salon. The one I looked through last week only had a few photos of furnished rooms. When I was first married and living in a cramped city apartment I'd leaf through their big catalog and dream of having a home someday that I could furnish.

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

I was wondering what was going to happen to that large PB Store. That is actually a better location. I saw the sign and did not realize stuff was on sale. Will definitely check it out. Thanks.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Maple Shade? That's not so far. And darn you for grabbing the matelasse coverlet and shams. That is exactly what I have been looking for for my guest room! May just have to hop over there. Thanks.

• maire_cate
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jerseygirl - you're right, the Marlton location is much better. I was surprised when Pottery Barn vacated. I wonder if their sales declined when Restoration Hardware moved out. It's funny that Pottery Barn is back in the Cherry Hill Mall, they had one there when I first moved to Moorestown.

dedtired - there's still another one there. I bought a white queen size - the pattern is Dominique. They also had an ivory queen with two shams in a different pattern (Timeless) I linked it below.

The sale started last week and I don't remember seeing a notice in the paper. I'm not a regular shopper there but I have bought some items for our vacation house a few years ago. When I mentioned that to the designer she said that several of her customers said the same thing. They were supposed to send out postcards to all the regulars but many didn't receive them. However I did see an ad in the paper today - I don't remember if it was the Inquirer or the Burlington county Times.

If you do happen to visit don't forget to check out the new Habitat for Humanity Restore that just opened across the street. Now that I have the measurements I need I'll stop back this week and check out the lamps and the prints. I wish I could use some upholstered pieces because there were several chairs with really pretty prints that were quite attractive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Timeless quilt

This post was edited by maire_cate on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 0:00