Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jason_1

Curb Appeal Picture advice; Bungalow

jason_1
9 years ago

Hi All,
Please give some advice on what I can do.
We just re-stained front deck and flower box area to a dark brown, looks better than picture.

but would like to make it look better.
The faded turq blue shutters need to go or be replaced...
I would like a more modern look, as much as possible with this style of house... I was looking at some kind of extra window trim in a darker color or different color shutter style is possible, im not sure.
I am also thinking some kind of brick/stone flower box.
What do you think my options could be? thanks a lot!

Comments (27)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Cute house! It's hard to tell on monitors sometimes...what color is your siding and what color is your roof? Knowing that will help determine accent colors.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Why not simply paint the shutters. Krylon or a similar spray will work on vinyl shutters.

I would go with a not too dark green which would lighten up the front and complement your dark brown stain and if you can paint your trim, if it is still not to your liking, a burnt orange, the same on the door???

Just my thoughts.

Jon

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh wow, that house is adorable.

If you can, I'd paint the siding a cottage-y color, maybe yellow or blue, and I'd paint the window trim black, and get new, white arts & craft shutters, paint the front door white, get a couple of hanging plant pots for the porch area, and put a window box for flowers in the center of each section of the railing.

• jason_1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a bigger picture. the siding is an "almond" color or really light brown. Roof is a darker brown, kinda faded at this point. The front door is a painted a dark green. and the shutters are a faded turqouise

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

This post was edited by jason_1 on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 9:45

• jason_1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Why not simply paint the shutters. Krylon or a similar spray will work on vinyl shutters.

I would go with a not too dark green which would lighten up the front and complement your dark brown stain and if you can paint your trim, if it is still not to your liking, a burnt orange, the same on the door???

Just my thoughts.

Jon"

Hi Jon, thanks for ideas. my only neighbors have a similar style house and did exactly what you said. They have the orange shutters and orange front door. looks good. but trying to differentiate a little. :)

• aputernut
    9 years ago

The house is rather dark=drab, some pretty colorful flowers would perk it up dramatically.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like the soft color of the faded shutters! I wouldn't go for a dark contrast since you have that with the large deck. But removing them would modernize the look. I'd replace the door with something in a lighter color and with more style. I would remove the planter box and/or do away with the rigid line-up of small hosta. Three railing boxes with some cascading plants wold be more interesting. I'd plant a non-green Japanese maple near the corner of your porch to hide some of the ivy-covered cube next door. It could be incorporated into reworked landscaping along the front of the porch.

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

I really like the dark brown stained porch. I would paint the shutters a dark teal blue color. Not turquoise but a color that matches the tone of the brown in your decking.

I also think you need some flowers - but I'm a flower person. I think I'd plant some petunias (easy) in-between those hostas and then I'd do two flower boxes that can attach to your railing. I'd do a few trailing petunias, a few green and burgundy potato vines - anything else that catches your fancy.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Is this too cute-z ???

• teacats
    9 years ago

For a more modern look:

Paint the decking in gray to match the siding and roof. Add a modern outdoor light to the top of the tall column or cut it down to match the rest.

Replace the front door with a far more modern looking door.

Remove the shutters. Beef up the trim around the windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- MOdern Bungalow Exteriors

• caminnc
    9 years ago

More traditional colors.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

How about a couple of hanging flower planters? Hang them to the right, so as not to block the view of the front door.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I like the idea of a bubble rock right on that corner that the loan pot is sitting at.

• nini804
    9 years ago

I like the soft, pretty colors on the cottage nosoccermom posted. One thing that no one has mentioned that I think would lend a more authentic look to the facade is to get new windows with muntins (or have muntins made for your windows.)

• mclarke
    9 years ago

I agree -- I think the windows need muntins. But the original poster said she wanted a "modern" look... not sure how to do that, though....

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

I would get rid of the shutters! And do put a long window box under the double windows. Cool house, nice job on the deck :)

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

I agree with Sasafras, I'd get rid of the shutters. Beef up the trim around the windows and paint all the house trim a bold color. I've never felt shutters fit a bungalow. Just my personal opinion. Great job on the deck!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    9 years ago

No one else has asked, but what is that rectangular mass of green to the right in your photos?

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Seagrass...I was wondering too. Is it a whole house surrounded by those shrubs or what plant grows like that? And where are their roots going?

Agree about losing the shutters. They feel like an add-on because they aren't functional in real life to cover the windows and take up too much space of a small space. A couple posters mentioned beefing up the window trim, good ideas.

I would also curve out your planting in front to balance part of the "hedge" and plant a tree in an area to soften it.

Cute house, have fun.

• User
    9 years ago

Take the shutters off to see how you like it without them.

I would also paint the house a stronger color because right now what you have visually is a front porch and steps with a house behind it. The two parts look completely different and it is evident the porch is new /added on. The goal of remodeling is to make the new parts look as though they have always been there.

It's a very nice house, congratulations and good luck!

I'd try a warm tan or milk chocolate or even a deep khaki color for the house. I would avoid harsh reds and yellows as it sounds as though you want a more modern, less cottagey look.

• nini804
    9 years ago

I agree -- I think the windows need muntins. But the original poster said she wanted a "modern" look... not sure how to do that, though....
    *end quote*

I agree that muntin-less :) windows are more "modern"...but that isn't a "modern" house, architecturally. Trying to force that cute cottage into something it's not will never look good. The shutters aren't sized properly for the windows, but goodness it would look plain without them. Maybe if there was some really substantial trim around the windows that included a really chunky top piece (cornice? can't remember the word for that piece) and, of course, muntins on the windows...it might be ok without shutters.

A little OT, but I am always surprised at how many GWers dislike exterior shutters! Done properly (sized correctly, operable w/hinges and shutter dogs) I think they look gorgeous on a house. I am in the south, though, maybe it is a regional thing.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Seagrass, I too am glad you asked about that green rectangle. Sorry, but it looks like 'the vine that ate the garage'. There appears to be something peeking out of the front.

I like the color of the shutters nosoccermom posted. They could even be a shade darker. And go with a darker shade for the front door. Is the siding vinyl or can it be painted? I somehow got the idea it is vinyl and needs to remain almond and the porch is newly stained so you are working around those colors, right?

How deep is the planting bed in front? If it's not at least 3' deep it needs to be and should have ~5 shrubs planted (azaleas, or a dwarf evergreen) with the hosta as a border plant. A semi-tall shrub flanking the corner would frame it all much better.

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

The shutters are not the right size for the windows - they should actually cover the windows when closed and given that, you couldn't even fit the correct size on the house. So they do not work with the house and I would get rid of them.

You can paint the front door something more vibrant, which would give the house more life. You could also paint the roof trim a more peppy color to liven things up.

I would plant a small tree to the front-left of the house. Actually I would pull off the shutters, retake pictures of the house and submit them to the Landscape forum. There are a couple of designers there that are really good.
    Diane

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Jason I love your house!!!
    I have shutters not large enough to actually close but I like the decorative value of them.
    I LOVE the colors in nosoccermom's picture!
    BTW what's the story on the ivy covered structure right next to your house?

• jason_1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi all follow up.
    The green cube, is actually a business building next door. With ivy that took over the entire front. I live in a down town urban area, hence wanting a modern flare. the cottage look doesnt go with modern glass and steel condos and buildings.

The siding of the house is vinyl, painting it would not go well...

Since pic I have added a modern looking light on the deck end post and floating stainless house numbers. I will rip off the shutters and post a follow up pic shortly, thanks all so far!

This post was edited by jason_1 on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 21:51