Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbrandywinevalley

Kitchen reno is complete -- where do I go from here?

My kitchen renovation is finally finished. It's beautiful and I love it, but now I need help decorating the living spaces surrounding the kitchen. The kitchen opens to two separate living areas and a dining area. I have no idea how to go about finding a decorator to work with, and I'm pretty sure that's what I need to do. I don't personally know anyone who has worked with a decorator, so I don't have a source for referrals. I really don't want to work with an in-store decorator because their mission is to sell as much as possible. I need someone who can help me choose window treatments, a few pieces of furniture, a couple of area rugs, and accessories -- maybe on an hourly-fee basis. Yes, there are decorators on Houzz.com, but I don't know how to narrow the field. Where/how do I begin?

FWIW, the company that did my kitchen renovation posted photos on Houzz. http://www.houzz.com/projects/553165/Open-Concept-Kitchen-and-Living-In-West-Chester--PA

This post was edited by msbrandywinevalley on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 9:32

Comments (12)

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Just beautiful msbrandy, maybe you could ask the company that did your kitchen to recommend someone.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely :)

I have zero experience with hiring a designer, but I think caminnc's idea is a good one.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I would try googling "interior designers Westchester Pa" and see what comes up.....then you can peruse their websites where most will describe their services and fee structures. You can also go to the ASID website where you can find designers by zip code.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I also would follow caminnc's suggestion. Your kitchen people would know.

Your kitchen is so wonderful! I felt this calm come over me just imagining cooking and entertaining there. Took me a minute to realize it was because there were no uppers to block the light and views. Ahhh....

• theclose
    9 years ago

Fellow GW'er beekeeperswife is in PA and is "in the biz". She might be able to recommend someone. Maybe give her a shout?

• msbrandywinevalley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

caminnc -- GREAT idea! Thanks. I have a call in to the kitchen company.

• msbrandywinevalley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

olychick -- thanks for the kind words. At the end of the day, it's a galley kitchen with two peninsulas. Being "vertically challenged," I find wall cabinets hard to access. I do have one very tall wall cabinet that holds dishes, glassware and some serving pieces. That replaces the wall cabinets for me.

• msbrandywinevalley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mamorella -- how would I go about finding/contacting beekeeperswife?

• alex9179
    9 years ago

beekeeperswife at gmail dot com

She has a similar pared down aesthetic, but she uses a restrained hand with bold color and sparklies - I love the play of light on crystal :) If she can't help you she may be very helpful in getting you to someone who can.

Such a bright house with breathing room! Love it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Very nice kitchen...so bright and open. And just wanted to say I love the brandywine river valley area and have visited frequently, though the traffic is a lot tougher than it used to be...

Hagley, Winterthur, DeNemours, Longwood, all the Wyeths at the museum...so much good stuff to see and do!

• msbrandywinevalley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alex -- thanks! I'll contact her today.

• msbrandywinevalley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AnnieD -- we've lived in the area for 35+ years and really do love it here. The places you named are all nearby, and we're (literally) walking distance from Longwood's back gate.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz