Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Color of non-front doors?

lucillle
9 years ago

I have two side doors and am redoing the house exterior. I think I will keep the front door the nice berry color it is now, but have questions about the other doors.
For your non-front doors, did you have them painted the same color as the trim, the sides of the house, or a different color completely?

Comments (12)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Mine are painted several shades darker than the siding.

• bpath
    9 years ago

My front door is the same color as the shutters, and the service door at the other end of the porch is the same color as the siding and trim. (Because the house has brick, siding, gutters, and shutters, the last paint job minimized the paint colors by making siding and trim the same color)

• bpath
    9 years ago

(Duplicate post)

This post was edited by bpathome on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 9:26

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I would not do a totally different color....either the same as front door, siding, or trim color.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

You can have all kinds of color combos. ;)

My front door is brown stained mahogany wood.

Side door to garage is painted a gray/brown like the garage doors. It is a metal door that had been previously painted with a wood look finish. The sun was too hard on the finish and it started to fade and peel. So we painted it.

The basement door is also painted gray/brown to match the garage door next to it.

The two back doors off of the screened porch (one is a 15 Lite single from the FR and the other a French combo from the M bedroom) are painted a tad darker than the color of my home's stucco walls and pergola. The door trim is the same, although they are incased in a lighter contrasting color of stucco. There is also a second garage entrance from the side of the house (also a 15 Lite single) that features the same color combo as the screened porch doors.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

All of my exterior doors are painted the same color as the window trim, excluding the front door which is black.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Same as Fun2BHere!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

I have 3 exterior doors all painted Cottage Red plus 2 French door sliders but they are painted the trim color. All The red doors are on different sides of the house and not visible to each other.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I have a ridiculous number of exterior doors....6, actually. All white like the trim, and dark green for the main door--have to let people know where to knock first!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I too have a ridiculous number of exterior doors, 8 ... not including nine sets of french doors that enclose the pool that is attached to our house. Like Vedazu, we use color to communicate importance. Our house and all of the doors are white, except the front door and back door (we have front to back center hall), which are Hampshire Grey.

I tend to like doors painted to match the trim, if they are not front doors.

• arlosmom
    9 years ago

Mine are the same cream color as the trim except for the front door which is now sporting a bright tiffany blue.

• brightm
    9 years ago

arlosmom, what color is the main part of your house, if I might ask, with your tiffany blue door. We're thinking of a similar color for the front door and I'm chickening out on deciding what to go with it. Also, do you know an exact color you used?