Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeymc96

Living room help

joeymc96
9 years ago

We moved into this house almost two years ago. It is slowly starting to feel like home. I had the area painted SW Pavillion Beige and I do think it is a nice neutral color. The living room furniture is newer and I like all of it. I hope to get a new leather recliner soon and move the greenish colored recliner to a different room.

Please give me any recommendations regarding furniture placement and wall decor placement. I tend to get very formal and matchy-matchy when decorating, but want it to seem more relaxed and comfortable.

The dining room is still a blank slate. The table looks ok in the picture, but it is in terrible condition (garage sale find). I am planning on restraining the tabletop and painting the bottom a lighter color. The back wall has oak built ins clear across. I've changed the hardware, but would be open to painting them or getting new doors. I have considered stenciling the one dining wall across from the window. I've never done this before, so I'm a little concerned that it won't turn out.

I like the look of botanical prints hung in groups and was thinking about hanging a group on either side of the black mirror or on the blank wall. I love ferns, and have some cool fern prints saved in my etsy shopping cart.

Any suggestions are welcome!!

Sorry the images are so dark. I'm a terrible photographer. We have great natural light during the day (east and north windows). We also have LED can lights in the dining area, which are great light). I'm debating about adding them in the living area. There is only lamp light there in the evening.

Comments (11)

• aputernut
    9 years ago

I brightened your dining room photo for you, all you need is a good free photo editing software such as Photoscape, which I used here Picassa is another free one. Not so dark now is it?
    P.S. Stenciling is easy, use a sponcer io/ a small sponge on a stick, go easy on the paint and it's easy going.

This post was edited by Aputernut on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 9:37

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

First, I'd move the cab you've got just inside the front door to wall next to the window, where you've now got two chairs (by the cute dog). I think it's a bit too big for the area where you have it nowâ¦seems crammed in there, but it's a perfect size for that other wall. And that other wall is kind of an odd place for two chairs.

Get another, smaller, sideboard for the entryway.

Then I"d pull in the LR furniture to create a more cohesive gathering area. I'd then put the sofa in front of the window, but not backed up to it, and your recliner where the sofa is now.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

This is not to take away anything from what others have recommended because you have some wonderful suggestions but just want to add for anyone who is guessing about furniture arrangement.

Conversational furniture in a gathering, living or den/great room should be placed in the shape of a U or an L so that guests can face each other and should not be so far apart that one has to talk loud for another to hear. This is excepting, of course, my deaf sister-in-law. It does help also that she is close enough to read lips. ;-)

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Some good suggestions above! Also, I think an area rug in your living room would really ground your space. The dining area rug is too small. The right rugs will make a HUGE difference! My plan is all open and my furnishings a mix of styles. Although my rugs would not work so much in your room they do ground the space. Imagine no rugs and you can see that it would look sort of lonely and not as cozy.

• joeymc96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I had the dining room rug in my other house on wood floor. What do you think about having rugs on carpet. Obviously it's not ideal, but we'll have these floors for awhile.

I agree that the hutch in the entry is too big. I'm going to try and move it, if I can get DH to help me get it up the stairs. I just had the leopard chairs recovered and like them. I don't think they'd work in any other room. Any suggestions where to put them?

• violetwest
    9 years ago

My suggestions for the living room:

--add a rug (my first thought upon seeing the picture)
    --move the furniture closer together
    --in my opinion, you need some color and a plant or two

• joeymc96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I had the dining room rug in my other house on wood floor. What do you think about having rugs on carpet. Obviously it's not ideal, but we'll have these floors for awhile.

I agree that the hutch in the entry is too big. I'm going to try and move it, if I can get DH to help me get it up the stairs. I just had the leopard chairs recovered and like them. I don't think they'd work in any other room. Any suggestions where to put them?

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Could you put the green chair where the two leopard chairs are and put the two leopard chairs in front of the window? The tall shelf thing that is by the leopard chairs could stay by the green chair and between the two leopard chairs put the basket but add a glass top to it if sturdy enough.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Why move it up the stairs? It's a very nice piece! I think it would look great against that wall across from the bottom of the stairs.

How about this arrangement?

Sofa in front of the window;

Leopard chairs in the area by the stairs, where you now have the easy chair and table;

Recliner and easy chair w/ottoman in the space between the living area and the DR, angling toward each other slightly.

Agree with the others that a large rug with a rich print would do wonders and really make that LR welcoming.

• joeymc96
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone again. Some good ideas to work with this weekend.

When I said move the sideboard upstairs, I just met up the 2 stairs into the living room. I don't think I can even move it that far by myself. I feels like it want to fall apart when I move it from the wall to dust.

I have a huge dark tan sculped rug in my bedroom. I know it won't add color, but I may try that out in my living room this weekend for size. I'm kind of afraid of too much print because of my flora chair.

• oopsie913
    9 years ago

not sure Im feeling the DR rug under that table. Something off with the proportion and shape. Can the rug go in LR? I love layering rugs! Its a very pretty house and area. Agree with tibbrex to move the hall table over to LR. I do like the sofa as a room divider but it might just be a speck too small for that unless you do side tables and have it not diagonal as it shows here... Also, the rug in the foyer might look really pretty in front of your sofa. :)