Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Too many projects- anxiety overload/help!

localeater
9 years ago

OK I have too many things in flight. I need to either make some decisions, choose something to ignore for a while(which will mean accepting 'in progress', choose what to focus on, or I dont know.
I will give you the list(of the major items, there are other small ones too) and can my good GW buddies help me prioritize....
1-Main floor- I have a contractor lined up to start in August to change my combo powder room/laundry room into two separate spaces. I havent picked any of the finishes yet.
2- Main floor/den - I repainted and refurnished. I have window treatments selected and on order. I need side and/or coffee table, lighting, decor items.
3- Upstairs/MBR- I repainted, have new duvet, have window treatments selected and on order. Needs lighting, decor items.
4- My finished basement currently has one unfinished wall because I decided I wanted to move it one night when I was hopped up on caffeine and couldnt sleep.

Personally, I just have too much going on as well which is adding to my anxiety level. Annual town non-profit fundraiser is on 7/18 I am responsible for one aspect and deadlines loom. I have a ten day 3 country international business trip from 7/8 - 7/15. I really need to get out of it. The timing couldn't be worse and I havent figured out childcare yet. The trip is discovery for 3 new projects and the 65000 IT person hour project I am currently overseeing is not going all that great and testing for phase 1 begins 7/20.
I feel like I need a superhero to swoop in and take something over.

Maybe I need to find out how much it costs to hire a superhero?

Comments (7)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Maybe it's just me, but this one seems easy. Prioritize your job and finding childcare.

It seems like all the important areas of your home are functional. Plus you need decor items in a few areas ... shop abroad!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Sounds like you're already pretty efficient if you're doing a 10-day trip in 7 days!

I think you need to prioritize for sure.

Work/child care issue really important...that needs to get done first.

Town fund raiser...ask for help/delegate if possible, esp given you will be out of country.

Select finishes so contractor won't be held up...that can wait til after the trip/fund raiser.

Rest of the decor items can be put on hold...besides you have to wait for ordered items to arrive anyway. Basement is last.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

The only project I see with ANY urgency is #1 because that contractor NEEDS input in August.

When you say "finishes" what, exactly do you mean? Paint? tile? floor? cabinet color?

The rest of the decor is affecting only you and can be delayed until after the kids are in school.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Agree with the work/childcare priority being first to address.

Ensure someone has been delegated to track progress of your fundraiser duties in your travel absence and send you updates via e-mail/text while you're out of the country and will know to call you in a real emergency if they need your input. Been there, done that. (I'm assuming you'll have that capability.)

Ensure you've at least narrowed down the choices for input to your contractor. You've still got a little time when the 7/18 fundraiser is over to make that decision for your contractor. At least have some things to mull over while you're on your trip. By finishes, assume you mean flooring, paint, cabinetry - what else does he need this soon?

Everything else (tables, lighting, decor, basement) can wait so try not to stress over those. And yes, if you see something during your trip, all the better! Ship it home!

• localeater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for chiming in. Yes- work is non negotiable and I really do need to do something with those boys of mine.... I do have a husband but timing, like I said is bad, so he will also be away some of the days.
    If I can firm up the dates(and Annie that is the root cause of the 7 or 10 day confusion -dates keep changing) then I would know for sure which dates both myself and my husband will be away so I can get childcare lined up. It is the unknown on this one which is the stopping block. BTW kids are not babies, they are 15 and 13 and responsible. I will not leave them overnight, but if I was leaving at 2 and my husband was returning at midnight it would be no problem.
    Fundraiser- check, check, check. I can delegate and drafted a 'what still needs to be done' check list for my group this AM. SO I think that is A-OK.
    Basement, bedroom, den they all get put on the shelf and I just need to focus on stuff contractor needs for powder room redo.
    By finishes, I mean the whole shebang, I have pretty much nada.
    I guess I need to play with that tonight, can you feel a new, separate post brewing. I can.
    Thanks again for helping me redirect myself to sanity.

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

Annie LOL !!!
    "Sounds like you're already pretty efficient if you're doing a 10-day trip in 7 days!"

Good luck. And, I would prioritize -- family, job, community commitments, house. Also, where is your husband in all of this? That is an other issue for another day perhaps.

• localeater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to post an update.

On the work/childcare front- I think I have managed to get two legs of the trip canceled, I deemed one unnecessary (since it was a second visit and after reviewing the coding changes I was still good with the delivery dates) and for another one I suggested that it might be more efficient for them to come to the US. That leaves me with a still TBD date of a trip to the Dominican Republic. But I think (fingers crossed) it will not overlap with my husband's travel anymore and that is a good thing!

The boys really hate overnight sitters, they are at 'that age' where they think they are old enough, but they're not. On a good note, a school employee who they love and who adores them just retired and I know she will be the sitter if I need her!

Projectwise: DH and I are going floor tile shopping tomorrow for the Priority 1 project! We need to decide what tile will be in our entryway and will continue into the space that is being revamped. It needs to flow with natural ash flooring.

Wish us luck!