Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stinky_gardener

Are you in love? With (another) house?

stinky-gardener
11 years ago

NHB's thread made me wonder, are any of the rest of us "hooked on houses" people smitten with a particular property at the moment? I think many of us look at real estate listings pretty often, even if we're not actually "in the market!"

There's one that I find lovable! It would be a five minute walk to both my sister's houses. The neighborhood is lovely (my niece says the air smells better there!) and the interior of the house is well-taken care of and imo, gorgeous. There's also a stunning water view.

Here's a link to my latest infatuation....please share yours!

Here is a link that might be useful: Loving that house

Comments (76)

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

this is DD2s new house!

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

sorry for the HUGE picture. it was my first attempt at posting a picture. DD2 just bought this house outside San Diego. I cannot wait to go out to see it!

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bronwynsmom, that sounds amazing!

JennaVA, your daughter's house looks like it is out of a storybook! How charming. SO glad you posted!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

There are so many different styles of house that I love, I wish I could just keep buying houses forever and ever! This is one I came across the other day- I think it is in a terrible area because look how cheap it is for all you get!!
    http://www.kurfiss.com/listings/detail/id/1930121

Here is a link that might be useful: Gothic Revival

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I agree, JennaVA, that is adorable!

S-G, DH drove past the house on the way home.

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

Thanks SG, and gsciencechick.... it DOES remind of a fairy tale cottage huh? hope you don't mind, i will post a pic of the back yard next.... The whole upper floor is a master suite and there is an apartment (they call it a 'granny flat' out there) in the basement. House is much bigger than it seems.

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

sorry, i cannot seem to figure this out. FIrst, I get the pictures too big, then I forget to put a comment. This is my DD2s backyard.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gsciencechick, maybe you & your dh will hit the "open houses" this weekend? Keep us posted!

JennaVA, what a cute backyard! I bet your DD is going to really enjoy this house, inside & out! When you go visit her, please take more pics & post those! Btw, I don't think your pics are too big. Many people here post pics that size.

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

thanks, StinkyG, I will be happy to take more pictures when I get there. I am trying to help her pick paint colors, etc, from 3000 miles away.... lol...

• awm03
    11 years ago

I fall in love with a number of houses several times a week. My favorite thing to do when we travel is to find neighborhoods with striking houses & photograph them. I love all kinds of styles.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

ARGH, the website is updated that the house is sold. Oh well, we will "love the house we're in" which is the motto of RetroRenovation.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Beagles, I think that is my problem. We don't always dress in the same style, why should we live in the same style. I'd like to try one in each genre.

JennVa, that tree alone is worth it! Oh my! I would have an arborist check it one a month! It is so fabulou! And perfect with the home. It looks like a great place to be a kid. Or a bohemian!

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Beagles it's not in a particularly bad area as far as I know, but the entire city is kind of depressed, and I don't know that there is a lot of draw to someone who can Sustain a house like that. Plus the taxes are really high.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

mtnrdredux me too! And every time I see a pretty room, I think "I want to put that in my house." But unfortunately, my house would have to be about a zillion square feet and it would be quite a hodgepodge to put all the pretty rooms that exist in one house (and that house would need 200 sunrooms and libraries plus, an ocean and mountain and city view). Pinterest and Houzz are the worst- it's like handing the keys to the pharmacy to an addict but telling them they can only look!

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beagles, I missed that! Wow! Over 8,000 sq. ft. and all those details! That is a lot of house for the money, and as Pal noted, a lot of upkeep! Taxes are a little over $12,000. That's high imo too! I looked up Sue's posted house on zillow & saw the taxes for it are $16,000 a year! Yikes!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

In my hometown of Buffalo, you can get some really cool homes for very little money. BUT taxes are also high. This one has a price of $299K but the taxes are $12K.

Here is a link that might be useful: cool Victorian in Buffalo

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Gsciencechick, love where you are & one with your name on it will come along.

You are surrounded by great houses at great prices in a pretty area that is loaded with cultural & educational opportunities & so much beauty. Enjoy!

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Amazing, GSC! Again, a LOT of house for the money & a striking house at that, w/sky-high taxes! Snows one heck of a lot in Buffalo too! I lived in Rochester for 2.5 years. Beautiful area, really, really nice people, but way too much snow for me!!!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

DH is originally from Chicago. We are not eager to move to really cold weather to either Chicago or Buffalo despite closeness to family. It gets hot here in the Carolinas, but we don't have to shovel heat!

Buffalo has *amazing* architecture, including some FLW homes. See below for where we had our wedding in Buffalo. It was July, so it was a beautiful day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mansion on Delaware

• Jbrig
    11 years ago

gsciencechick,

If y'all are really seriously interested in the house that is listed as "sold", you might consider giving the realtor a call and at least just giving him/her your contact info in the event that something falls through. You never know... Besides, can't hurt :-)

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

DH did email the realtor. We'll see if we hear from him. But in the time that we emailed, the house was updated as "sold". However, DH found no information in the tax listings, etc., that would indicate that it closed.

There is no way we could otherwise get in this neighborhood at this price point, especially for a house we've always liked. If the renovations are cosmetic vs. structural, that is a huge difference.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'm not in love with a particular house, but a location for sure. If I ever win mega millions (lotto isn't enough by far!) I'd buy a place in Manalapan....inland waterway to the west, atlantic ocean and beautiful beach to the east. But lots alone go for millions. I've walked that beach many times over 50 years and it's still one of the best stretches of beach in the country....miles of sand, few people, no rocks. Sigh.

Next time I find myself with $19 million lying around, I might consider something like this one. Hah!

• ttodd
    11 years ago

I'm in love w/ pretty much any house that is not mine. I am a Serial Decorator and see potential anywhere I look.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Foxy, that's funny! I know you DO see potential...that's a gift!

Here's my current house:
    {{!gwi}}
    See what I mean? (you can be honest.) I previously had a brick, circa 1920 house in another state, which was stately and extremely well-built with all the usual features that say "character & charm" in houses of that vintage. After 13 years of worrying myself sick about what "could" go wrong (though not much ever did) when we relocated to VA, I decided the next house needed to be newer. I think my thinking was in error.

This 1987 abode has meant lots of updating, & there's plenty of maintanence here too. This month I must have some rotten wood replaced again (humidity here is brutal to wood!)

I bought in 2006, so I paid handsomely for the house also! Have put more money into pavers, kitchen, complete large bath remodel, tile floor in smaller bath, lots of pro painting, wood replacement, etc.

I've beaten myself up about buying my "charmless" house & wondered, "What was I thinking?" Was I thinking?

Having said all those nasty things...as I said earlier, the house has been a nice place to live in many ways. I do like our changes. I do enjoy our yard. The paver patio makes my heart sing. Love the bath we created. The kitchen, while still small, has more charm & beauty now, imo. We are in a convenient location. 98% of my neighbors keep up with their properties. There are positives for sure.

But would I be smarter to sell & buy the one in the listing I posted?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Interestingly, I do not love my house or property but I do love the location and privacy. My few unseen neighbors are great (i.e. unseen).
    The thought of moving everything and starting over is so horrifyingly daunting that I would rather stay put.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Stinky?

You think that is charmless ?! You need to get out more.

First, you have that tree. Trees like that are the reason new constr turns me off, where they call it a treed lot just because they dont cut down all the tall spindly characterless trees that have no leaves until 30 feet up.. You have a TREE!

Second, cute entry. Third, what kind of detail is above the windows?

It all looks great.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Stinky,

My DH is enamoured of the house you posted. This is the first one I've shown him that he has ever actually done his own research on to find out more! For the first time ever, I really think he would seriously consider moving. He keeps saying, "The pups would love it." ;) I think if you love it after you've seen it in person, you should go for it.

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

I agree with mtnrd. Charmless? Hardly! Your house is very pretty, and the landscaping looks great.

Do we get to see inside?

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, y'all!

Bumblebeez, I hear ya! Moving is a bite!

Mtn, awww...thanks, sweetie. I do have a few trees in the front. Two huge pines, and we planted the Japanese Maple by the front door & a crepe myrtle that's on the other side of the driveway. I appreciate your kind remarks.

Wow, Cyn! Maybe you two should head down here? Your dh really liked it, huh? I'll intoduce you to my sisters & we can all hang out together! I think you'd like us, lol! Seriously, I would like to see it in person. Sis & I drove by it, but of course, only saw outside. Looks pretty much as pictured. Pretty nice!

Nance, thanks so much! Y'all have seen inside--when I did the bath I posted & remember my pink living room? Now THAT will surely be a big selling feature, lol!
    Y'all saw these of the back:

{{gwi:197952}}

Another of the front:

Oh, and how could I forget? Installed a Trane energy efficient gas furnace and AC unit w 10 yr. warranty almost a year ago!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh, and Stinky, I got carried away telling you about DH and the house---meant to agree with the others about your place. That back is to die for and I can see why it makes your heart sing! I think the front is lovely, too!

Yes, it would be fun to be down there and I think we could have a grand time together. DH would have driven down yesterday if it were a little closer. I don't know the area at all, so hard for me to really have an opinion beyond the pictures...which are spectacular. Living on the water is my goal!

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Stinky-gardener, your house is lovely! Don't sell it short. Sometimes we don't see what others do as we only see the problems. I know my house is the same (always needing something IMO) and every time someone exclaims over how wonderful it is I see it in a different light.

Even tho I love my house there is always at least one other in my mind that I am smitten with. There is one in an area we've often travel to that is unforgettable altho it's located on a busy road when IMO it should be on my acreage! LOL It's a new craftsman and it just tugs at my heartstrings. I also have been in love with old Victorians of all sizes, chateaus in southern France, and castles in the UK. Whenever I think I have some time to spare I look online at listings, Locationworks, Pinterest house exteriors, various architect's sites, Hooked on Houses, or ThisOldHouse. Always something that's fun to see, visualize living in, and that gives me more ideas than I'll ever be able to use. I have an addiction to architecture, landscaping, decor, and all things "house and home".

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

S-G, your house is lovely and your landscaping is divine, which I would assume with your screen name.

I was just out working on our curb appeal, painting the front railings. We need to replace the old worn light fixture. After lunch, I need to put another coat of paint on the wrought iron patio furniture. The railings and furniture really look like new.

The RE did contact DH, and the house is sold. That is fine. Of course, the guy wants to show us more houses. That's why DH knew he'd get back to him. No real hurry to take him up on it.

• User
    11 years ago

Not exactly in love but more interested in the uniqueness of this house in DC. I just think it would be so neat to be in the middle of the city but to have a country home with land.

Here is a link that might be useful: DC home with acerage

• awm03
    11 years ago

s-g, what a lovely home you have created! You should feel proud.

IMHO, doubling your husband's commute is a fatal error, especially if he has a demanding job already. No house is worth a stressed out, tired, miserable DH.

• happyintexas
    11 years ago

I'm a real estate agent...I fall in love with houses every week.

Listed a log home on 10 acres recently. I keep think about the two story rock fireplace and how much cozy and quirky fun one could have with decorating.

Or the 1 story with the great opne living space on a smallish lot in town. Easy commute.
    Or my friend's 1920 beautifully redone home. Character galore.
    Or the so-cute-it-made-your-teeth-ache 2 story with the charming backyard I helped a couple buy last summer. Mmmmm...

My all time fantasy home is a two story with wrap around porches...old farmhouse look. Inside--hardwoods, great windows, and chunky trim. Of course it would be painted a sunny yellow and be on at least five acres. With a pond.

Too bad that house where ever it is doesn't fit my life these days.

At least in my profession I get to flirt with lots of homes in lots of different places.

• roarah
    11 years ago

SG, your gardens and your home are charming! I do love my modest abode and my neighborhood, but my dream home since childhood has been on the market for a few months and ooh I am tempted to upsize! Would have to redo the kitchen and other tweeks though.

Here is a link that might be useful: my childhood dream home.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thanks for the thoughtful replies everyone!

Cyn, thank you for remarking on my current digs too, and so positively. If you & your dh head this way, let me know! I can even call a super nice realtor & set up a showing for you if that would help. It's neat that my post sparked some real interest, even if nothing comes of it!

Luckygal, I appreciate that, & I think we so often do see what's wrong rather than what's right w/our houses. I am really trying to move away from that nasty habit, & be more positive. I really am grateful for what I have. I probably feel SO anxious about the whole thing since I paid a 2006 "bubble" price, but hey, I'm hardly the only person in the country who bought a house between 2005 & 2007!

Gsciencechick, thank you very much! Glad you're not rushing anything. Good for you. Your painting surely did add curb appeal, & a new light fixture is a great idea. I replaced all of my exterior lighting! Dinky, builder grade brass went to better scaled bronze Hinkley fixtures. World of difference!

Oh, AthomeinVA, that house is nothing short of spectacular! That is really a one in a gazillion house! Indeed, to be in the heart of such a great city & have that land, & that space, & that history & charm and beauty! Thanks for posting that link. Five million dollars they're asking & worth every penny!

Awm03, thanks for your reply. I appreciate your kind words. ( I sure do love your house, you know!) I think you have a hubby who works a lot too, yes? So you would know about that part of the equation. Stress & exhaustion are pretty much part of life because of dh's job, but tunnel traffic could add more of a burden to the daily grind!Thanks for pointing that out.

HappyinTX, yes you have a really fun job, imo!

Roarah, thank you for the compliment. I also love the house you posted. It's really beautiful!

• bird_lover6
    11 years ago

Yes! It's a small eight hundred square foot, very custom craftsman cottage with a huge front porch.

But with six kids, kids-in-law, and grandkids, I could never move into something that small. I don't know where I'd put everyone! LOL

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Athomeinva, okay, fine. I guess I will just stay here...in that home???? ;) Know just where it is. DH lived near there before we got married. Absolutely amazing. Ha-It would take a property like that to get me to move into the District!

• deegw
    11 years ago

I drive by my dream house every day and curse the people who bought it. Really.

It was a a foreclosure that had been on the market forever because it only had one bedroom and was neglected after the owners moved out. But there is tons of great attic space so we knew that we could add bedrooms. We were just waiting for it to fall into our price rage. And then someone bought it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dream house

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, Deee, that's beautiful! I take it the racoon & the egret come with the property! Cute!

Says the Zillow is currently $444,800, but the range says it could be worth as much as $890,000 (that crazy Zillow...but I'm a Zillow freak anyway, look at mine WAY too often!) Do you know what it sold for? Usually Zillow posts that, & the history of previous sales, but I don't see that info.

Sorry it slipped through your fingers. When things like that happen to me, I have to assume it just wasn't meant to be.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Deee,

Yes, that is dreamy. Hard to envision it has only 1 br. I also like the decor. At the time of the photos its in great shape. Some of the photos are pretty funny (what do the two cats on the bed have to do with anything?).

I do have one quibble with it. I think the front portico and columns feel too large for the house. A bit out of proportion.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Oh, deee, sorry to hear. That is just beautiful. So odd that there was only 1BR.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mtn, I feel the same way about the columns, & wondered the same thing about the cats! (Maybe two fat cats lounging on a bed just say "home?") Noticed one of the cats joined the deer and a birdie on the patio later!

GSC, yes, it IS so odd the house has only one bedroom. (really odd) It has just a hair over 2,000 sq. ft. too. Looks SO much bigger than that! Sits on over 2 acres that's quite the wildlife refuge. Very interesting place.

• ttodd
    11 years ago

Thanks Stinky! And if I walked by your home it would be inspiration for any home that I wanted to do. It looks like it belongs 2 blocks down from my home. That area was once known as Doctor/ Lawyer Row. I guess I'm on Nurses/ Paralegal Lane LOL!

• roarah
    11 years ago

O Dee that is a lovely home sorry you missed out on it. I saw two different beds so I am guessing rooms that can be used as "bedrooms" may be missing closets or second points of egress and without those features may not legally be listed as bedrooms.
    Lots of wild life abound the estate!

• deegw
    11 years ago

The house is top heavy, isn't it? On the plus side, the portico adds a ton of space to the attic floor and doesn't looks too bad in context with the rest of the lot. It's basically a tarted up raised ranch - the lower floor is like a basement and is not heated or cooled. You could remodel but it would have to be all cash as you could never get flood insurance and it couldn't be rolled into a mortgage.

Our real estate market has come back a bit and the lot alone could be upwards of a million dollars but I think the fact that it's a one bedroom house hurts the value.

Originally the owners tried to subdivide the property. The three lots were the house and pool, lot with deep water dock and lot with ancient garage. They sold the area with the dock for about 500k in late 2008. Then they lost the house and the bank sold the house and the garage lot next to it for 700k in 2010.

It was actually a pretty good deal but between having to extensively remodel, paying expensive flood insurance on that fabulous pool and college tuition for two right around the corner, I just didn't have the stomach for it.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I found another house I am in love with. :) I was fooling around with the idea of moving to New Paltz and some how stumbled upon the MacKenzie-Childs estate for sale. I just love it. The DR is mky favorite I think. I think it is like living in a storybook.

Here is a link that might be useful: MacKenzie-Childs estate

• kathy77
    11 years ago

I've been obsessed with this house for years. I blurred the cars just in case.

Here is a link that might be useful: house I want