Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarakat_gw

Anyone else looking for crisp sheets? Part 2

SaraKat
10 years ago

I was intrigued by this topic even though it was an old thread because I need some sheets and found a site that got me to order some. I was wondering if any of you have heard of Thomas Lee Sheets? I was especially interested in what the president of the company had written in his buying guide and learned a lot. I was out shopping and was so confused by the high thread counts which he explains and how not to be fooled. I thought it might be helpful to some of you all. I will link to the original thread. It was a long one! I ended up ordering the sheets but haven't gotten them yet. I am allergic to formaldehyde so I was glad to see these do not have it in them. Here is the website for the sheets and then I will use the link to for the original thread on this subject. www.thomasleeltd.com just so you know I am not spam, I post all the time. Have any of you ever used any of these sheets? I liked that they were made in America and the cotton even grown here. I always thought Egyptian cotton was the best but apparently not.

I would like to suggest reading the "Buyers Guide" on the website because it has such good information even if you don't buy sheets from them good to know!

Here is a link that might be useful: original thread to crisp sheets

This post was edited by SaraKat on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 15:15

Comments (76)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I read the Thomas Lee website, and it states that the cotton used is from the U.S., but didn't state where the sheets are actually manufactured, unless I am missing something here... a lot of times materials are sent from the U.S. to China or elsewhere for the actual putting together of the product.

Do you know where they are manufactured, if not in the U.S.?

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I also was on a quest for crisp percale sheets, because I don't like the feel of most sateen sheets, until.... I found Charisma sheets at Costco. I bought a set because they were only $35 for a queen set with 4 pillowcases. While they aren't exactly crisp, they are very cool and smooth, and even though they are all cotton, they barely wrinkle.

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

ogrose: according to the FAQ section of their web-site, there are no sheets made in the USA anymore. They say these are made in India, as India is the only place that will meet the quality standard they want for their product.

Am interested in hearing more about how you like them, SaraKat, as I too hate sateen sheets and love the old percale or crisp/cool sheets.

• zackin
    10 years ago

I've used Thomas Lee sheets for years and still love them, although the price has gotten higher and higher since I first bought. I saw them recently on One Kings Lane for a nice discount, so you can look for that.

To me, the Thomas Lee sheets feel a little thicker than other sheets I've tried, which I think contributes to the smoothness and comfort.

I'm very curious about using real linen sheets. Violet, can you tell us whether they wrinkle to the extent that linen clothes wrinkle? Do you iron them? Do they wrinkle less with repeated washings? And, where do you buy them?
    Thanks.

Freda

• SaraKat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think this coupon code will still work FB110 if you do choose to order. Mine should be coming this week. I hope they live up to the hype on the website.

You are right! Darn! I noticed that he has sheets that are made from bamboo as well as the cotton ones and they are made in India...so much for my quest! But the cotton ones are from cotton grown in the US. I'm so sorry...boo hoo

I live in the South and I can tell you it is heartbreaking that all the textile mills are gone and even the thread mills. They have converted some of the old thread mills into warehouse type of lofts or shopping malls. I still remember my mom telling me that as little girls she and her sister rode through the old roads and there would be chenille bedspreads hanging on clothes lines for sale. They would ride by and fantasize about the ones they wanted for their beds. I believe that is why they called that corridor of Rt. 41 "Peacock Alley" because it was so colorful. Here is a link where a lady is dedicated to preserving the history of textile in Georgia and Peacock Alley which was Old Highway 41 where people would hang colorful bedspreads out on clotheslines for sale. Today people think of Peacock Alley as something altogether different, but here is one perspective of it's roots in rural Georgia! It's about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia's Peacock Alley Days Gone By

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

OK--this thread had me looking at the sheets for our king bed when I changed the sheets yesterday. My favorite set bought at least 8 years ago is from the Penney's Home collection. They are yellow with small tone on tone polka dots---I bought them because I love polka dots. The rest of the tag was faded but I am guessing they are cotton or cotton blend. The do wrinkle some..but are cool. My other set is from Costco---Kirkland brand bought in the last year or two. They are gray---shiny and "slippery." They are cotton and do wrinkle. They are ok but I like the yellow ones more.

In the winter I like jersey (t-shirt) sheets over flannel as they don't pill and are warm. The sets I bought years ago when the kids were little I ended up buying more t-shirt material and sewing it to the bottoms of the flat sheet because they weren't long enough and always came undone..probably because they were cheap. I just went through my linen closet and got rid of a bunch of old sheets and tons of extra pillow cases...but I kept a pair of yellow sheets my mom had that are probably 30 years old..thin, soft percale.

I just looked at the Thomas Lee sheets...kind or pricey..and they only come in white or ivory...which is OK....but I like color too.

It seems like linen sheets might be a little rough or scratchy....I am going to check them out. Although I can't imagine they would be worse than the cheapy muslin sheets...I slept on those at a friends----just awful!

• annie1971
    10 years ago

I'll wait for my sample to arrive; but if they're made in India I'm probably going to pass on purchasing the sheets. I've just had too many unpleasant experiences with India imports.
    I'm really disappointed and don't believe for one moment the claim that India is the only place that can meet their standard of quality. It's more likely about profit margin.
    Bummer!

• shelayne
    10 years ago

I recently purchased some percale sheets from Kohl's called "The Big One". I really like them. They are not that slimy feeling sateen (yuck), but are smooth, cool, and crisp. They remind me of sheets I had growing up. They also look and feel as if they will last, unlike some very spendy high thread-count sheets I bought that are absolutely worthless. These are 275 thread-count, which is perfect for us. I have washed them twice, and they launder well. No pilling.

What is very nice, for us, is that the sheets really are oversized, and that is very important as we have one of those ridiculously high mattresses (one of those air-chamber beds), and these fitted sheets actually cover and tuck under the sides of the mattress. Love that!

I ordered these thinking that I would just take them back if I didn't like them, as Kohl's has a great return policy. They are not going back, and I am going to order more. They have many different colors and prints. I had one of those coupons for 30%, and the King-sized set was less than $30! Can't beat that!

Here is a link that might be useful: The set I ordered

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I have TL sheets. They are made in India, but I really like them. The quality seems good and the sheets have good weight and a lovely hand.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I can't tell when this site was updated, but it lists some manufacturers of sheets made in the USA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linens made in USA

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I've had luck finding 100% cotton sheets at Tues. Morning. Since I have to buy Calif. King sheets, I look for the best bargain I can find.
    I've fallen in love with the brand Royal Heritage, found at TM. It has a cool and crisp feel, a high thread count, and claims to be made from single-ply thread.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

@ Freda: "I'm very curious about using real linen sheets. Violet, can you tell us whether they wrinkle to the extent that linen clothes wrinkle? Do you iron them? Do they wrinkle less with repeated washings? And, where do you buy them?
    Thanks."

They wrinkle. No, I don't iron them (people still iron sheets?) but I like them wrinkly -- the kind of texture it imparts is part of the appeal. If you hang them to dry or remove them when partially dry and hang them, they wrinkle less.

Note that linen is much more sustainably produced than cotton, is very cool to the touch (I'm always hot), and takes much less energy to dry.

I have bought mine from Restoration Hardware (on sale). There are a few other places you can still buy 100% linen sheets - there's a company called Linoto, for instance (which says their sheets are made in the US), and you can buy them on Etsy and Ebay direct from Eastern European sellers.

• zackin
    10 years ago

Thanks, Violet. I'm soooo tempted to try linen sheets, but I'm also very persnickety about having smooth, unrumpled sheets when I get into bed. I'm constantly pulling them taut, so that I can feel comfortable.

Maybe I should just try linen anyway.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

hmm. you could try them, but you might not like them in that case. the wrinkles, to me, are part of the charm and texture. You could try a set of pillowcases first.

This makes me remember the humongous steam iron contraption my parents had in the garage when I was a kid . . . for the maid to iron the sheets!

I understand that sleeping preferences are very individual, but life is too short, imo.

• nutherokie_gw
    10 years ago

I recently bought linen sheets. Mine certainly wrinkle, but oddly, to me, the wrinkled linen looks luxurious rather than shabby. While I'm perfectly happy with the way they look, I'm not completely sold on the feel. They seem a bit scratchy. I know they're supposed to soften with repeated washings, but I was hoping for a smoother texture from the get go.

Mine are from Rough Linen (I don't think the name is intended to be descriptive of the sheets). They're beautifully made (in the US) and are fabulously oversized. I'm hoping with a few more launderings I'll be in love with them.

• zackin
    10 years ago

Thanks, Violet. I'm soooo tempted to try linen sheets, but I'm also very persnickety about having smooth, unrumpled sheets when I get into bed. I'm constantly pulling them taut, so that I can feel comfortable.

Maybe I should just try linen anyway.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I can remember my aunt..who had 3 kids... and my grandmother, who lived with my aunt, ironed EVERYTHING...sheets, towels, even underwear along with all the regular clothes. And all meals were made from scratch.....no dishwasher either. It's amazing what our moms and grandparents did. My mom ironed pillow cases. I remember her saying that when we were all young, she would do about 8 hours of ironing a week---20 starched shirts--5 each for my dad and 3 brothers who attended Catholic school. I remember the ringer washer in the basement....and she never got a dryer until we were all grown...all clothes were hung on the line in the backyard...do-able in California where we moved when I was 6. I remember the towels were as stiff as boards and her commenting when we finally got a dryer how much nicer the towels were. All of our sheets were purchased at Penneys or local dept. store---cotton percale--that's all you could buy back then....I still have some...wonderful feel!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I can remember my aunt..who had 3 kids... and my grandmother, who lived with my aunt, ironed EVERYTHING...sheets, towels, even underwear along with all the regular clothes. And all meals were made from scratch.....no dishwasher either. It's amazing what our moms and grandparents did. My mom ironed pillow cases. I remember her saying that when we were all young, she would do about 8 hours of ironing a week---20 starched shirts--5 each for my dad and 3 brothers who attended Catholic school. I remember the ringer washer in the basement....and she never got a dryer until we were all grown...all clothes were hung on the line in the backyard...do-able in California where we moved when I was 6. I remember the towels were as stiff as boards and her commenting when we finally got a dryer how much nicer the towels were. All of our sheets were purchased at Penneys or local dept. store---cotton percale--that's all you could buy back then....I still have some...wonderful feel!

• SaraKat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ladies, I got the sheets and last night was our first night to sleep on them. Here are my observations:

First of all they are not made in the USA they are made in India from cotton grown in the USA. I totally misread and misunderstood, so sorry about that. I will continue with my quest for things made here and follow the links provided above in your posts. I agree, there was nothing like the old days when things were made here and you never had to hold your breath in fear it was going to fall apart on first washing or sometimes even before...don't get me started...

Secondly, they come packed in a sheet set which was surprising to me. But I'm still ok so far...they are soft and very smooth, no embellishment, no French seams, just surged in the seams like any other, sort of disappointing, nothing extra special about them, no glamour for sure! They are very generously proportioned though with elastic all around the fitted bottom sheet. The top hem on the top sheet is not really deep just a few inches. The white of the sheet is sort of rich white, not the bright refrigerator white but not an off white either.

I washed them and put them on the bed, they came out of the dryer with lots of wrinkles due to the fact they have no formaldehyde laden sizing in them which is why I bought them to begin with since I am allergic to formaldehyde that is so often in sizing. I'm ok with the wrinkles. They are thin but very strong, very smooth and crisp but not stiff and scratchy. I'm feeling a little better..

Slept on them last night, did not wake up with a headache from chemicals or anything and they are nice, cool for sure. I only have this much to go on with one night's use. I only got the one set of pillow cases (we each have two pillows) so I went to BBB and got as close as I could find in another set of cases that are Wamsutta "authentic single ply yarn" 100% Egyptian cotton 360 thread count. It is not the pima cotton that is said to be superior to Egyptian cotton, pima is hard to find. So I washed those and they came out of the washer stiff as a board and out of the dryer so much stiffer than the TLee sheets. They must have that coating of sizing on them or something because that is just weird! I'm feeling more love for the TLee. So I put them on DH's side, lol. Hey, he doesn't care...I'm the one that gets the headaches from formaldehyde!

We'll see how well they stay together and hold up over time. I'm extremely happy with the supima cotton most of all and that they are cool : ) . If they hold up well over time I will be satisfied and I will be keeping these and not returning. The reviews were so overwhelmingly positive I think my expectations were running on overload!!! Thanks for taking this journey with me and I will check out the links you all provided! All the best, Sara

This post was edited by SaraKat on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 8:38

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I've had mine for a couple of years and have had NO problems with the hems. They've held together very well. They do wrinkle and I will sometimes iron the top hem if I'm feeling martha. They breathe so much better than anything else I've tried that I'm hooked.

• Pieonear
    10 years ago

The best I've found that satisfy my hunger for cool, crisp sheets are the Threshold™ 300 Thread Count Fitted Sheet on Target's website. I couldn't find them in the store but only online. They come in solid colors only and quite a wide color choice. I have two sets and love them.

• dibgar
    10 years ago

SaraKat,

It's been several weeks since you reviewed your Thomas Lee sheets. At that time, you had slept on them only one night. How are you liking them now?

I found some reviews of TL sheets that were a bit negative, so I searched online for alternatives. It's frustrating to read bad reviews for so many brands. The price seemed high when I looked at the TL website, but then I found many other brands that were even more expensive. Now these are starting to look a bit more attractive if the quality is there.

Do you still like the feel? Are they holding up in the wash?

Has anyone heard of NeatSheets from Everest Luxury Linens? They look good on their own website, but I can't find reviews. One thing I don't like is that they are sateen rather than percale so probably won't feel as crisp.

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

On the hunt for those illusive crisp sheets, again. :)

The cotton is grown here in the U.S., but, of course, they aren't made here.

This post was edited by bird_lover6 on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 9:17

• wwwonderwhiskers
    10 years ago

Bumping this thread to see if there's any new information on quality, crisp cotton sheets. Thanks!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I bought some Amy Butler organic cotton sheets from eBay after reading them recommended by someone on the conversations side. I also bought some for my mother to try, knowing that I'd use them in my guest room if she didn't care for them.

There are limited patterns, which doesn't bother me, as I have 2 dogs in bed with me, but we both are thrilled with them. I bought the ones I have linked below, which don't go with anything in the room, but no one else sees them!

This was the least expensive set I could find, as I didn't want to be out a lot of money if I didn't like them, but they are wonderful, and wash and dry beautifully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amy Butler Valencia Queen Sheet Set

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

After getting involved earlier in this thread, I ordered the sample fabric from TL. I was quite disappointed. It was not what I would call at all crisp. Although it was quite nice. It's so hard to know what each of us means by "crisp".

• nutherokie_gw
    10 years ago

Uh oh, Andee, I just ordered a set of the Thomas Lee. I'm too impatient to order samples like I should.

I expect to get the sheets early next week. I'll report back. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what "crisp" means to people either. I'm looking for soft and smooth and cool, but without the slickness and sheen of sateen. Here's hoping.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I don't think the TL sheets are at ALL disappointing, but I'm not of the Wamsutta Supercale generation. I've bought a couple of things from ebay that I like and that I use for kids or guests. I'm out of luck for Cal King!

TL sheets are still wonderful for someone who sleeps hot - I also live in a hot climate. They've been a life saver along with my wool mattress pad. They are cool and as crisp as I would want

• zackin
    10 years ago

Having used Thomas Lee sheets for about five years, I still find them "crisp" according to my definition. I think nutherokie captured my criteria perfectly:

"Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what "crisp" means to people either. I'm looking for soft and smooth and cool, but without the slickness and sheen of sateen."

When I put my face against the TL pillowcases, there's no scratchiness at all - just completely smooth and comfortable. That's my test and a primary reason why I've been so disappointed in sateen sheets. After one wash, they always feel scratchy against my cheek.

I mentioned upthread that I think the extra thickness of the cotton material that TL uses contributes to the feeling I like.

All that being said, I'm still looking for a less expensive brand that I would like as much. Has anyone tried the Vermont Country Store resin-free sheets? They used to have another kind with the word "crisp" in the title, but I don't see those any more.

• sedeno77
    10 years ago

Thomas Lee is now on sale plus use coupon code FB110 for an extra 10% off. Free shipping and no taxes. I just bought a set!

• vedazu
    10 years ago

The last time I bought percale sheets it was from Neiman Marcus--and they still have them, I believe. They still crunch, many years later. By the way, I'm probably one of the few who still irons all my sheets and pillowcases. I spray starch my pillowcases and the tops of top sheets if they are of the limp variety.....Take them out of the dryer a little damp, fold into quarters, iron them quickly and then hang them on a little drying rack until dry before putting them in the linen closet.

• vedazu
    10 years ago

For those of you who were looking for percale, One Kings Lane has Thomas Lee on sale today.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Yvette: thanks for the heads-up on the Thomas Lee discount code. I've just ordered a set of their pillow cases to try. As several of you have pointed out, the term "Crisp" is a very subjective thing when talking about sheets . . . but they really do sound extremely promising!

I have two sets of very nice sheets that I bought at Tuesday Morning several years ago. They're cool to sleep between, all cotton, lightweight and really lovely. Not sateen (which I despise), but not crisp unless I'd iron and starch them, which is never going to happen-LOL!). They're great except that their soft, lovely, long crocheted lace on the pillow case edges bothers us both. I'm hoping that these TL pillow cases will be just the thing to use on our sleeping pillows. I'd then use the lace-edged cases for our other two pillows.
    Lynn

• wwwonderwhiskers
    10 years ago

I am IN SHOCK!!! We had a question to Thomas Lee about subbing queen pillow cases into the King sets (or should we order a'la carte, or have them altered)
    So I just got a call-back from Thomas Lee to answer my question, and it was MR THOMAS HIMSELF WHO PHONED!!! He says that when he has a few minutes, he always enjoys chatting with customers, or future customers. And he stayed on the phone for over 12 minutes - not only answering my silly question, but giving me Laundry and "sheet management" tips!!! So since you wonderful folks here are the ones that turned us onto TL, I thought I'd give back & share his laundering & other tips.

First, he gave us the same discount code posted here from Aug 26th - the FB110 "to help with the cost difference" if we wanted to order separately, but that would give us 10% off the cost of the entire order.
    He mentioned that since we're getting one of the new memory foam mattresses, that we might need to tuck the fitted sheets in also, actually, because of the generously sized pockets.
    He also said that we should get a 100% cotton mattress pad - nothing synthetic.
    He said if we just ordered the King set, we could have the pillow cases tailored to our pillows for much less than the cost of purchasing a'la carte. Told me to measure, have them cut "from the open end back, then have a new closure sewn" using a Lock stitch. (Even told me the stitch to use, can you believe it??)
    For Laundering, he said that there is SO MUCH fabric to these sheets, you can't imagine, and that nothing makes cotton scratchy quicker than leftover soap in the fabric. He suggested to use 1/2 to 1/3 the amount of soap that I normally use.
    And to use the Extra Rinse cycle, if we have it, especially during the first launderings.... get ALL of the soap out that you can.
    And for drying, if you have a Perm Press / Cool setting, that is best. And perhaps to NOT dry them "bone dry", but remove them just before that, and remove promptly, hand smoothe, then fold. "nothing makes cotton wrinkle faster than leaving it rumpled in a hot dryer".
    And for when we're looking for "that extra touch", he said to "hit the top hem of the flat sheet with a steam iron, and iron the pillow cases, and I promise you NOTHING will be as wonderful!".
    Once I told him we were on well-water, he was asking "now how hard is your water?". Amazing!!

He was SUCH a delight to listen to. He's still SO passionate about his craft!! That was such a pleasure to hear that in his voice, and that he shared his knowledge.

Of course I first assumed he was the usual "help desk" manager or something, but I quit my usual interrupting style banter about 3 minutes into the conversation when he said "I actually am owner of the company", then proceeded to tell me about his memory foam and how he managed the sheets with regards to the mattress.
    I told him that it was the Buyer's Guide page that sold us. That, and the prompt delivery of a hand-addressed envelope with the swatches in it.

If the sheets are HALF as good as our impression so far of the company, their information, and all the hooplah here, then I'm sure we'll be delighted with them for a long, long time.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Wet Blanket here. My Thomas Lee pillow cases arrived yesterday. Popped them into the washer and dryer and . . . I am so disappointed in them! Granted, the term "cool, crisp sheets" is totally subjective and this is only my one personal opinion, but I don't think they feel cool or crisp. And I so, so wanted them to be that! The quality is great. Heavy cotton and well-sewn but they are not, IMO, cool or crisp. They feel more heavy and somewhat coarse.

Please know that I'm not poo-pooing anyone else's positive opinions on them. I'm sure it's just my super-sensitive skin (a problem I've had my entire life), but I don't think that I'm going to be able to sleep on them comfortably. I need to call the company and see if I can return them.
    Lynn

• romy718
    10 years ago

I'm here from the kitchen forum because Holly Kaye mentioned her quest for "crisp sheets" in a thread about the "best broom". I was curious as this was my obsession a few ago after we purchased a new mattress. I bought Peacock Alley, Sferra "Celeste", Hotel Collection Egyptian cotton, Charisma and Thomas Lee. I love the Thomas Lee, especially the pillowcases. I iron just the pillowcases.. Ironing them makes all the difference. I can tell immediately if I don't have a TM pillowcase. I will get out of bed & change my pillowcase.
    Their customer service is great. I ordered 4 queen/standard pillowcases & they accidently sent me kings. I emailed customer service who were very apologetic, sent me the replacements and told me to keep the kings.
    I've had them ?4 years. They are great brand new & get even better with age.
    Holly Kaye hides her new broom from her cleaning lady. I hide my TM sheets (so she can't wash & dry them).

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I also love smooth, crisp sheets. I used to have them in abundance and it pained me recently to have to throw my favorites away because they were falling apart. Everything now is slimy or rough or pilly.

I dug out a VERY old set today in navy blue (!). Crisp and smooth, despite their age. Checked the label: 50% Cotton, 50% Polyester. Checked all the other sets, faded and worn. Same 50/50. Yet I perceive them as cotton and no ickiness in hot weather.

So, that's what I want, not billion-thread-count, slimy soft thing starting at $100/set.

• jockewing
    10 years ago

I think i found some! Checked out a Tuesday Morning and they had a large selection of Peacock Alley and Sferra. I found some packaged as "Dream at Home" by Peacock Alley. It is labeled as 100% cotton percale, 220 thread count. They are 100% Egyptian cotton, made in Portugal, and they have the embroidered scalloped edge in different colors like old fashioned sheets. I got a set in French blue and coral red. They feel exactly like my grandmother's sheets that I am lucky enough to still have a couple of pillowcases from. Can't wait to try them out tonight and see how they sleep. If they are as good as I think they will be, I will be going back for at least another set or 2 as they were only 69.99 for queen size.

Does anyone know what "Dream at Home" by Peacock Alley is? The packaging was sort of plain so I wonder if this is a "lower grade" of Peacock Alley?

If you snap them they have that crisp sound, and they are not too thick nor slimy feeling. They are still soft however but not too soft.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I have Thomas Lee sheets but would not buy them again. they're very nice, but they're very expensive, and they are fraying, have torn twice for no reason I can figure out, and I have followed their care directions to a T, washing only in warm water, drying on low heat, no bleach. I've read elsewhere about this problem with them.

I have some Pottery Barn sheets I love. For new sheets, I'd try Peacock Alley and Garnet Hill. Garnet Hill does have the best flannel sheets, that I've slept in anyway.

Also try eBay for vintage percale sheets. Vintage sheets are the best!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Is anyone here old enough to remember the sheets from the 1960s of white with pastel stripes? I have them still but they are threadbare but they were the first set of sheets I owned. They were in my hope chest and we put them on our first bed. I still keep them. I had a linen shower when I married and had so many great sheets. Unfortunately, I had a double bed which I still have but in a secondary bedroom so I use them there. Good sheets don't wear out like what is passed off as "good" linens now.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

I've finally found what I consider to be crisp sheets and they are relatively inexpensive at BB&B especially with a coupon. They are even touted on the packaging as being crisp: "memorably refreshing, crisp, comfort". Wamsutta "The Perfect Pinpoint", 360 thread count, 100% Egyptian cotton.

Yes, Patricia43, I remember those sheets, still have one set (full bed) rarely used, but now much mended. I will not give them up - they are the Holy Grail of crisp sheets. We'll see if the Wamsuttas stay crisp.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I called Wamsutta years ago and asked about their Supercale sheets and they suggested that I try the Perfect Pinpoint.

I have 5 sets of Wamsutta supercale sheets that my MIL gave me when she worked in a department store. I have been babying them for years and have replaced the elastic on several of them. The oldest set is 25 years old and is 50 cotton / 50 polyester and some of the younger ones are 60/40.

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

The Homegoods store in our town currently has Frette and Sferra sheets and duvets. I swooned by did not buy. One set of Frette sheets is enough, and I feel fortunate to have them! Check it out if you have a store near you.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I have not found Sferra sheets to live up to their price and reputation.

• lexuslady48
    9 years ago

Has anyone purchased excellent percale pima or supima cotton sheets in 2014? Why have percale sheets disappeared?

• User
    9 years ago

Cool, smooth sheets = percale

Crisp,cool, smooth sheets = ironed percale

Adding, thread count is aimed at the wallets of the uninformed and insecure :-)

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, May 24, 14 at 11:14

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

I like the Ralph Lauren cotton percale sheets. To me they are crisp and smooth. I've bought them from the Ralph Lauren website and also from Macy's.

• SciFiGirl
    9 years ago

SaraKat: I'm a new member to this site and just stumbled across it while STILL trying to find a sheet I liked. I have one set of sheets that is 25 years old and still in use. What I am looking for is a 50% polyester, 50% cotton sheet. Jaclyn Smith Sheets used to have this type, but I can't find them anymore. Recently, I have been told that the term 'percale' doesn't mean what I thought. Is there anyone out there that knows where I can buy this type of sheet? Sateen, Linen and 100% cotton just don't give me the 'feel' I want and I hate wrinkles.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

IF you can find them anywhere, Rivolta Carmignati cotton sheets made in Italy are the crispest, lightest sheets I've ever found. And I found them in a bin in a thriftstore! An entire bin filled with these sheets. I had no idea what they were; if I had, I've have bought the entire bin at $1 each. I bought several flat sheets and a duvet to die for. Not until later, when I found a tag and looked it up, did I realize what they are.

Other than these, I have Ralph Lauren and Thomas O'Brien, all cotton that I really like, but they really don't compare to the Italian cotton.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rivolta Carmignati

• HU-301490804
    3 years ago

Just recently I purchased two king sets of Thomas Lee percale sheets

within one week, the fitted sheet turned a strange gray purple tinge

i called TL, they asked for a picture, they agreed to exchange.

the second set went on, the exact discoloration occurred. This time TL refuses replacement, policy they don’t replace twice for the same problem. What sense does that make?

clearly this run was with fective fabric. I had no problem paying their premium price, I deserve a premium product, not just once. Buyer Beware( less concerning , though annoying, they wrinkle terribly)