Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer59_gw

Price:

Jennifer59
9 years ago

Furniture to big for this space and need to sell. Sofa is 86 x 40 and loveseat is 76 x 40.
Is $750.00 a good price to start at. The sofa and loveseat both have 2 seats that recline. They are in really good shape. Another ? what would work for this space. Was thinking of a small sectional. Sigh totally lost when it comes to decorating. Need advice ):

Comments (10)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A lot of the selling of used large pieces of furniture has to do with getting someone to move them for you w/o having to do so yourself or to hire someone to do it, so you must consider that.

Generally speaking, anyone looking to buy a used sofa/used furniture that is not antique is doing so because they don't have a lot of money. Sofas are hard to sell because of the ew factor.

If I wanted them gone, I'd be glad to just have someone who wants them, is willing to take them off my hands, and to be able to give a low-income person/family some furniture. I'd either put them up for a VERY low price, like $100, or just a You can have them if you can haul them sort of thing.

On the other hand, if you like them, I don't think they're too big for that room at all. That is a very large room. I think you just have it arranged incorrectly.

• sundance510
    9 years ago

I actually had a lot of luck selling our 7ft double reclining tan leather couch and matching chair. I sold them for $425 to the first person who called me and I literally had 15 people who wanted to know if she didn't show up. Maybe the fact that they were leather (even if bonded) reduced the "ick" factor to which Tib is referring. I also live in an area where people don't have the money to buy new, but are looking to spend a little more than $100.

All that being said, I had several things going for me. I had purchased the set the year before off CL for $325... so I could have listed higher, but didn't need to because I was already profiting $100 with my list price of $425. I also wanted them gone on a certain day.... moving day.

That brings me to Tib's other point about moving large furniture. That couch was at least 500lbs and we were in a 3rd floor condo. I posted my ad about 5 days before our movers were scheduled to come. I put in the ad that if the buyer could pick up on that Tuesday, our movers would load it for them. That, my friend, is the best way to sell furniture... DH and I didn't have to do anything except collect our money.

The bottom line is, if you want to get a good idea of price, go to your local CL and look at what else is out there for sale. Make sure your ad offers a good description of color, age and brand. Take pictures in good lighting to show that they are free of tears or stains. Take pictures with all of the recliners out to show that they work. And remember, don't focus on the price that you need for your new couch, but rather an appropriate price for your market.... because in the end, they're only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Good idea to browse CL and see what similar sofas are going for in your area and price accordingly.

A sectional would be nice, but leave the fireplace end open. It looks odd to have furniture facing away from the fireplace. Pretty room!

• Oakley
    9 years ago

All good advice. More than likely it will be hard to sell them for that price. I sell my old furniture on Facebook, our town has an online classified page. One time no one wanted a chair, so I gave it away. They came and got it which saved me a lot of trouble.

Before you commit to a sectional, I'd google "large living rooms" and see what you get. Sectionals are limiting when you want to move things around for a fresher look.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Good advice from everyone, I don't think anyone will pay more than 250.00 tops.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

You seem to have a big room.....are you sure you can't rearrange the furniture and use what you have? I sold a sofa like yours for $100 and kept the love seat and put it in a bedroom....a wonderful "reading,tv " spot.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I'd try rearranging your furniture first. You might simply move the loveseat to the other end and scoot the sofa down, but looking at the fireplace and rug, they seem to be fighting each other. Try placing the rug out from the fireplace wall so it is at an angle to the side walls of the room. Place the sofa along long edge opposite the TV and the loveseat on the edge facing the fireplace. You could try floor cushions, a bench or pair of ottomans to sit in front of the fireplace or put a reading chair on that side (backing up tot he window).

Look at photos of living rooms in magazines, on HOUZZ or other websites, blogs etc. to get more ideas.

• Jennifer59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SOLD for the asking price of $750.00. They even picked it up . I had so many calls I could of made it a bidding war. But I kept true to the first person who called and let them have first choice.This set cost us $2000 years ago but it was in excellent condition.. They got a good set at a good price. Use your best judgement and start there.

• Pieonear
    9 years ago

Good for you!

• sundance510
    9 years ago

Woohoo!! I knew you could get some money for them if they were in good condition. Now, if you still want suggestions for new furniture for your living room, I would make a separate post. Have fun!!