Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lottamoxie

Give Your Opinion on Exterior House Color: BM 'Winds Breath'?

lottamoxie
14 years ago

Wanted to get some opinions before I 'pull the trigger.' All the new hardieplanks are now installed on my house (replacing all that old masonite).

The color I selected to be used on the siding is Ben Moore's "Winds Breath" (but in a SW Duration formula) and for the trim, soffits, fascia SW "Extra White."

What do you think of Winds Breath?

(btw, the shutters will be black and I will be painting the front door BM's "Dinner Party" Red).

I've done multiple searches (Google and elsewhere) to see if anyone used Winds Breath but haven't seen it used on an exterior.

This is my house as of 2 yrs ago, with the old siding up (you can't see the rotted areas in this pic so it looks good from the street).

Comments (14)

• lottamoxie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it's a very light beige. It's in the 'off-white' collection of BM.

So what would be your choice for a house (to keep the color light but not bright/stark white)?

• lindybarts
    14 years ago

I like it! But did you pick it out purely on the Ben Moore Color Viewer? I would get a sample jar or quart and paint a huge area. Exterior color is so hard to pick and that color viewer isn't very accurate in picking an exact color. It's only good for pushing you in the right direction of color families. But from your rendering, I think it looks fresh and clean! With the Black shutters and red door, it's classic.

• lottamoxie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No I selected it from a paint chip and the larger book they had in their store with the color on a 7" x 10" 'chip.' I knew I was going to use a bright white for the trim and I wanted something darker for the siding, but not too dark or too yellow or too green or too pink, so I stayed within the off-white collection and as neutral a tone as I could find. The existing house siding color was also an off-white with a slight oyster tone to it, just a tad lighter than the chip I selected.

• enailes
    14 years ago

It sounds pretty, though I haven't seen the color. If it's in the linen/oyster color range, the black and red will set it off. My house is a cream color with black shutters and red door.

• lindybarts
    14 years ago

Oh I thought your photo above was done with the color viewer. I tried it out for fun but as I said, I doubt this is an accurate representation. I have the fandeck too and I think it'll be pretty on your house. Love the red door idea too.

• teachbls
    14 years ago

Our house is painted in BM's Montgomery White - it is a very creamy, warm tone that looks great with Chrome Green (also BM) shutters. You didn't ask for an alternative to "wind's breath", I guess, but I offer it anyway, because it would look wonderful on your charming house!

• lottamoxie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's an interesting factoid. I had SW tell me what color is most like the color that's been on this house since I owned it (3 yrs now). I had an actual paint sample, right out of the can, albeit dried into the shape of the bottom of the can (heh).

The existing color is/was very close to SW "Crushed Ice." And I'm tempted to use it again since it's slightly grayish but still very neutral. The SW rep suggested "Super White" for the trim as he said that's perfect for exterior use and has really good coverage.

And THANK YOU Lindybarts, teachbls, and everyone else who is offering feedback and opinions. Keep 'em coming!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

I MUCH prefer the 'old' color to the beige tone shown above.

From the owner of this old Cape in Maine...

• lottamoxie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks My3dogs! The web version of the BM 'Winds Breath' color is not accurate (it's much lighter and no pink undertone), however, I too am liking the 'old' color better and am strongly leaning towards using SW "Crushed Ice," which looks gray on the web, but is more neutral in person, and is closest to what the old color was.

BTW your cape code is beautiful. That yellow is perfect for it! Thank you for sharing that with me.

• lottamoxie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I've changed my mind and will indeed be painting the siding Sherwin Williams "Crushed Ice," which is a soft and light grayish/oyster color.

Here are the changes I'm making to the house.

Siding: "Crushed Ice" by SW
    Trim, etc: "Super White" by SW
    Shutters: "Black" raised panel/classic, vinyl
    Front Door: "Dinner Party" by BM using the Aura semi-gloss formula

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• phoggie
    14 years ago

I think you have made a wise decision....love these colors!

• lottamoxie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you!

Can't wait till it's all finished and then I can start on the back deck repairs....and then obsess over my landscaping (which desperately needs a professional and team).

• lindybarts
    14 years ago

I love the new colors too! Great classic look!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida