Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homenoobie

Family Room - 80% done- thanks to you! [pic heavy]

HomeNoobie
10 years ago

Hello all,
I am back with some updates on my family room! I still have art and paint left, but here are some pictures:
I added curtains, woven shades, a coffee table, one wooden art piece - you can see for yourselves! Advice on improving and adding items, as well as paint choices is welcomed and wanted!

A piece of wooden art I have hanging on the wall between the family room and kitchen:

A reminder of what the kitchen looks like (on a good day):

And an idea I wanted to do for around the TV but haven't yet found a way to execute it:

Thoughts, paint ideas and comments! Thank you all for your input and ideas - they were essential in my choices, and also helped me choose a third color to put in there!!

xo

Comments (31)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nicely done!

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Annie!

Here is a reminder of how the room looked before:

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Nice improvement. The room went from rather sterile to looking inviting, interesting and comfortable. Love the rug you chose and how you tied the different elements together

• awm03
    10 years ago

I can hardly believe it's the same room. It's so full of texture & pattern & life now. Wonderful!

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

Beautiful ! I love the way you picked up the patterns in the drapes, silver poof, reflection in the mirror and the wall art and rug. Very thoughtful and sophisticated. c

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I actually like the wall colors...on my monitor it looks like a soft gray around your sofas and a soft yellow on the fireplace wall. If you are repainting, I would stick with those colors...you could go deeper gold like in your rug. I think you did a great job...like the curtains and all the accessories. I love looking at pictures of real rooms in real houses.....gives me so many ideas and inspiration!

Can I ask you about your rug? I am looking for something similar in the same colors....

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

What a nicely done FR! Warm, yet light and airy feeling at the same time. Those silver poufs are adorable!

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I really like what you've done. The room looks very inviting, comfortable, and put together. Love the gray and gold/yellow combination.

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

Makes me want to snuggle up with a cup of tea and a good book or watch a movie! Your family room looks a comfortable and inviting place for the family to relax and spend time together. Well done!

• Irish2
    10 years ago

What a transformation! I love what you have done with
    your FR. I've scrolled back a few times to look again at
    the before and after shots.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Such a wonderful transformation - starting with that fabulous rug you found. Who knew your room could go from that to this?!! I love what you've created - such a cozy, warm and welcoming space.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Oh....and your gray and yellow polka dot pillow....I love polka dots those are my colors as well...care to share where you found that and your rug?

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

It looks marvelous!
    Well done, you.

The curtains and shades are great, and I particularly like the carved wooden panel. It looks like part of a harem screen that separates the sheik from all his wives.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Wow it looks great! Love the subtle colors, very nice.

• Totally.Clueless
    10 years ago

Your room looks so good! (And how happy I am to know that the posters here were able to guide you! I hope they can guide me!)

I love the dark wood shades with the curtains. Basically I love everything about your room! It looks so put together and stylish.

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

Really nice! Everything looks so comfortable.
    Could you tell me where you got your coffee table or what brand it is? Fits the space well. I'm looking for something similar.

• geokid
    10 years ago

Love it! Glad you found a way to bring your bling in. Those poufs are a great touch. :)

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I agree; it doesn't look like the same space. Love the rug, the WT's and the wood carving. So cozy now.

I like the paint color as you have it, but I'm sure others will have suggestions.

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for your comments - you made my day!
    I'm sorry it took so long for me to post back - work!

Thank you for all your comments!

Here are some of my sources:
    1. Carpet - from rugsusa - http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/jaipur-rugs-bl65/white/229BL65-P.html

2. Polka dotted pillow is an ikat pillow from west elm that has now been discontinued :(

3. Bird pillow as well as purple studded pillows all also from west elm

4. White pillow - Crate and barrel

5. Couches - a local store

6. Coffee table - Paula Deen "Put your feet up" in linen, from Wayfair

7. Woven side table - crate and barrel

8. Curtains - west elm "scribble" panel in feather grey

9. Woven shades - Lowes on clearance

1. Wood carving and chair - Home Sense (Canadian version of Home Goods).

2. Pouffe - ebay

The walls are actually all the same color, and they are a builders standard cream color that is horrible quality and I will have to repaint simply because the quality is so bad - simply brushing up on it with your jeans marks it up very well. Gross.

Bronwynsmom - The sheik better only have one wife or there will be trouble ;) LOL

I don't know where geokid is but they were instrumental in helping me piece my vision together!

Again - thanks for the feedback and for making me feel warm inside! Any paint/art recommendations are welcome!!

xo

• geokid
    10 years ago

Everything fell into place once you found that rug! It really is a fabulously chic, but comfortable room. And I really like the choice of aubergine as an accent. Well done.

I absolutely cannot help you with paint colors. See all my previous threads about my own paint color issues. :)

And that's nice of you to say that I helped you so much. But you had the eye and the vision, I just supplied you with some visuals. When I post about my master bedroom, maybe you can help me with that! :-)

• loribee
    10 years ago

Good for you...looks amazing. Love all the warmth and interest!

• Delilah66
    10 years ago

You filled that room up just the right amount to make it warm and inviting without being crowded. Love how everything came together!

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Oh I remember the thread on this and how it started with as a "box" with sofas! You have done such a gorgeous job, I particularly love how you made two large leather sofas, which I think tend to look more masculine and give it a cozy yet feminine feel with the accessories and choice of color. I am looking to purchase a leather sofa, I already have two leather chairs, I cant beat leather with my pets, so am very excited to see how you have done this. Great job!

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

What a beautiful job! Everything pulls together wonderfully! I would happily spend a LOT of time in this room:-)

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

I call the reading chair near the window!

A really terrific makeover!

• katrina_ellen
    10 years ago

What a transformation. From a plain room to a beautiful room. It would be well worth every bit of effort and $ to have such great results. Wonderful job!

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Stunning. You and DH must love being in this room now. Your room is gorgeous and it has been fun following the journey. thanks for posting the update/after.

I don't think I would mess with the room color, but it is hard to tell sometimes especially if you have to repaint anyway. :)

• sis2two
    10 years ago

Oh, I love that space! What a transformation! Everything works so well together and gives such a cozy, inviting place to be.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

How much do you want to spend on paint? If you have a generous budget, you could call Ellen Kennon for a consult and use her full spectrum paint.

I just got swatches from her today. Some are for my friend's entry and some are for my living room. I think we're going with Aura for my friend's place but I'm probably going to get her input for my house once the room's flooring is installed.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Thanks homenoobie for the product info!

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

geokid - thanks again! I'm sure you won't need any help with your master bedroom - but I'm around to watch you work your magic!

kellienoelle - to be honest, those couches were a "design sacrifice" for me. I really wanted something gorgeous and tufted, like Restoration Hardware's Kensington line, but budget and comfort played a big part. Once I sat on them, it was like heaven, so out came the cash. However, once they came in, I was very nervous because they are visually weighty and I wasn't sure how I could still make the room look airy as well. Big challenge! I'm sure you will do great with your couches - show us the final result!

joaniepoanie - no problem! hope it was helpful!

alex9179 - thank you for that great suggestion! I will absolutely look into that.

Thank you all for your wonderful comments and support! I still have a LOT of blank wall space that I need to style, which is going to be tough. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks again,
    xo