Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janejune_gw

Wood Screen Door

JaneJune
9 years ago

We currently have a wood screen door on our back porch, which we would like to replace with another wood screen door. All we can find locally is really cheapie ones for around $30 at Lowes and Home Depot. They look and feel way too flimsy. Has anyone found nicer wood screen doors anywhere else? I have found some nice looking ones online in the $500 range, but would rather not pay that much. Is there a happy medium somewhere??

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• User
    9 years ago

Find a used one somewhere that is structurally in good shape, and then fix it up. Nothing is made well anymoreâ¦and/or it costs a fortune.

Try and find a place like in the link below and call and ask them if they have any.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvage wood doors

• roarah
    9 years ago

I just installed a lovely wood screen door from Ring's End with just the screen it was under200 but with the storm insert it came to under 300. It was unfinishedso I had to do that myself. It has only been up for a few weeks but it is very well made and looks orginal to my house. They had many different options too.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Real lumber yards have plenty to offer.

Finding used doors is a challenge because of having to fit to the correct size. We were lucky, but it took about 3 yrs of looking.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Ask friends if they know of a local woodworking person who has all the right tools. Probably could make you one for less than half that price. Stain/paint it yourself. Materials wouldn't seem much, you're paying for skill & labor.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

A few years ago we bought a sturdy unpainted wooden screen door at Costco for between $100 and $150, not sure of the exact price. DH painted it and it still has years to go. Knowing Costco they may not have them still but they must be available somewhere.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I had our handyman make us one for under $100.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

I built one a few years ago; I found some beautiful thick, clear, straight-grained fir at a dumpster, and had to buy the lock ($12, ebay) and have the screen panel made ($20) and have the possibility to fit a storm panel (but spending a hundred for a full sheet of 1/4" plexi isn't doable) I got some solid brass steeple tip hinges on ebay too, for about $20, sort of leftover from a large project I think, because normally that maker retail around $80.
    I had the tools and know-how, I can't imagine what one could make for $100 including labor. It's full mortise & tenon.

Other reason to build myself: odd size, 34"x82"
    Casey

• JaneJune
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, guys! All great ideas. You've given me a lot to look into. I appreciate it.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz