Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

Need help with exterior color of home

User
13 years ago

We would like to clad the cement porch with stone, I am just unsure about what color or colors, light or dark the stone should be to compliment the house.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• layla4318
    13 years ago

I think a dark smoky green would be nice. What do you think?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks layla, I never thought of green, I can see it would go well with the touch of red in the tone and the mahogney stained door. Not sure if stone comes in green. I am drawn to color and the house is very soft neutral tones in my opinion. In the summer I have a lot of colorful flowers so I am not sure if I need the entrance to stand out or perhaps stay in the background and let the landscaping shine through.

• User
    13 years ago

You have a beautiful home roseabbey. I'd keep with the tone of the stone of the rest of the house if you can. That would mean darker.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you justgotabme, I assume you mean a darker gray. The stone has colors of red, blue gray and brownish gray or perhaps the color of the brick?

• mom2sethc
    13 years ago

Hi!

I think it is gorgeous as is!!! The plain front facade, really sets off the beautiful door and stone behind it. I would leave it as it is.

Elaine

• mom2sethc
    13 years ago

oops! you are talking about the porch floor, not the front gable. My mistake.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Elaine, thanks, yes sorry if my post was not clear, I do mean the porch floor. Any thoughts on color?

• nanjean68
    13 years ago

This looks like Canada. Is it native stone? I have never seen that here in the US. We have Austin stone in Texas which is kind of tan/white. I would leave your porch as is. I think you might be looking at too much stone but then I don't know what the Canadian feeling is about leaving a plain porch. Nice home!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

nanabella, yes we live in Canada. The stone is manufactured not real. The porch floor color shows better in the picture than in real life. I would consider using an outside tile if stone is too much. I am just not sure about color and light or darkness of the color.

• dakota01
    13 years ago

Your house looks beautiful.. are you talking about stoning the porch floor?
    IMHO, I think it would be too much stone, maybe first try staining it a shade that you like that is in the stone. I think having different textures is nice, having a smooth porch is nice. I think it ties the smooth top arch and the porch together, it anchors it to the house.

• mom2sethc
    13 years ago

Hi!

I agree with Jeannie01, leave it as is or possibly stain it. I like the mix of the smooth floor against the rough walls. I have a similar front porch with stone walls (although I do think your's is more beautiful!), my front porch is plain cement.

Elaine

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We would like to put something over the cement, as it has surface cracks and patching it has not worked. So if stone is too much I was thinking perhaps, slate tile or porcelain tile. Again I am unsure about color and light or darkness and also tile size.

• sc_irish
    13 years ago

Living in Canada, I'd be VERY careful of putting any sort of tile on the porch floor. They can be awfully slippery when even the slightest wet - and can't imagine it with snow on it. Think it thru - and think texture that is 'shovelable'

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes thanks sc-rish, it would definately have to be a porcelain tile that is frost resistant with a textured surface, and not a ceramic tile. Any thoughts on color?

• sundownr
    13 years ago

I wouldn't change it either. You already have so many different elements/textures that adding more might be too much. You have bricks, shingles, rock and pavers. Another texture will be the piece of jewelry you're supposed to take off before leaving the house. :) If the concrete is cracked and ugly I would try to replace it or find a way to fix it. Good luck!

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

I agree that adding more textured materials would be too much going on, also. Too bad you can't just stain it. Remember, with the settling that's going on, other materials won't bend either and will have the same problem with cracking that the concrete is having.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I think slate would be a material you could put there. A tile pattern may be too much pattern for that area though. I feel like I'm curious about a darker gray on the floor....

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The crack is just a surface crack, not stractural. It is hairline crack and would not effect any cladding.

Htmspz, I am liking the idea of the darker gray color, the same shade as the brick color, in slate, I think that would work well. It would anchor the house IMO.

I dont think it would be too much to add the gray slate, as the colors all are sutble and blend together.

• User
    13 years ago

Yes, I did mean a darker gray like the smaller stone on your home. Sorry about that.