Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

seeded vs clear glass in my great room built ins?

illinigirl
9 years ago

Hi,
I am trying to decide on the type of glass to put in these cabinets. Here is a rendering and a photo of what we have going on so far. The great room is open to the kitchen and I have similar 'upper uppers' that will have clear glass. So I'm not sure if I should be consistent with what I have in the kitchen, or if putting in seeded glass will add a nice touch to the casual slightly rustic feel we have in the great room. Floors are character walnut and I'll show the foyer area adjacent to this room as well. I plan to put typical items in the cabinets like small display items, framed photos, books.

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

foyer is immediately to the right of the great room:
[img]

[/img]

Thank you for suggestions!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

It appears there is a craftsman style element to your design so far. I would recommend clear glass and avoid the "Olde Tyme" seeded glass.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I'd do the seeded, they're so gorgeous and add another texture which I don't think will clash at all, it's glass.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

I love seeded glass but my first thought was the same as joaniepoanie. I would also tend to want to keep the glass the same as the kitchen glass.

Place looks pretty!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Seeded IMHO can feel trendy, and so often is overdone.

There are many glasses to choose from. We used a wavy glass from Bendheim (see link below) in our kitchen cabinets and in doors to the DR.

See the link for choices

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass choices

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I always like clear glass. When it's clean, it's so beautiful. Beautiful room. Beautiful home. Beautiful wall color.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Another vote for clear. What a pretty fireplace!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i love seeded glass too... have it in our current bath and is also in a new bath... it helps to slightly obscure the items inside the cabinet which is what i wanted...
    i think it partially depends on what you plan to keep in the upper cabinets and how well you want the items seen...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd do clear glass. You can always add a film if you want to make it look different temporarily. But before you decide, go to a glass place. There are really about a zillion to choose from and something may strike your fancy. Just to be sure.

• three3apples
    9 years ago

We have a very slightly wavy glass in our glass cabinets. It's not hugely noticeable, which makes it look more authentic up-close.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

There are many many glass choices. Check if there is a local stained glass supply place and visit them for clear textured glass. If they are full service, they will likely cut to size for you. Going that way will be much much less expensive and you can use the savings for higher end glass.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

You can't go wrong with clear.

I just wanted to say that I really like your built-ins. I spent about an hour this morning on built-ins this morning for our new house too. Trying to figure out what I like about yours so much, I just realized that everything is behind doors! No messy open bookshelves like I have now. No matter how I try they are always a mess. Can't wait to see your finished product.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input and nice things you said about our home!

I think I'm going to play it safe and go with clear. I think there will be enough other focal points in the space without a different glass.