Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edeevee

Best Friends Decorating Project - Grown Up Pink

edeevee
9 years ago

My besty of 40+ years recently endured two weeks of scary medical tests. To distract ourselves from the awfulness of everything we kept up a text conversation about re-doing her bedroom.

Most of the results are in now and, while the future isn't quite as bleak as it seemed it might be, her life will probably be much different from now on -- and that sucks.

I'd like to follow through on those decorating conversations. It won't make her well but it might make things more pleasant.

Here's the deal (and, sorry, I don't have pictures):

A couple of years ago she returned to our midwest hometown to give her mentally handicapped twin brother (whom she cares for) a better quality of life. They moved into a house that had been in the family for more than 100 years but that had been rented out to folks with, um, questionable taste.

She's slowly been working to bring the place back and has done a lovely job of it. She hasn't touched her bedroom yet though and it's, well ... the last renters painted it grass green with giant Pokemon Balls all over the walls.

She will no longer be able to do any of the work herself and, due also to her health, she feels she needs to hold on to her money and will not be hiring any work out, if possible. I live more than 200 miles away. I can only visit sporadically. We need to plan this perfectly so I can drive there, pick up paint, and get a coat on the walls in one weekend.

It's tricky enough planning a room but this one is posing an extra problem. It has beautiful old oak original trim that she wants to save. But. The kind of room she envisions is feminine, sophisticated ... and pink.

We're having trouble finding examples online of pink rooms that aren't little girly -- and that will also not just 'look okay' with the trim but make it a feature.

Can you help suggest a color?

Comments (29)