Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
howling_angel

best grayish blue paint color?

howling_angel
13 years ago

i am going to be repainting my master bedroom and want a medium to light grayish blue. i have found lots of colors that i like online and on paint chips from a few stores, but i was curious about which colors people had actually used and like a lot. pictures would be great too. thanks!

Comments (27)

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Hi, howling angel - in addition to the responses you will get, you might want to read some of the previous threads here on the subject. We seem to have had a lot of them recently. Do a search within this forum with the words "blue gray." Also, check out the Gallery for photos.

• dainaadele
    13 years ago

I don't have any pictures, but I can offer some advice: The one thing to remember about blue is that it is very unpredictable. The same can of paint can sway from dull gray to vibrant blue, all depending on what it has next to it. Look at pictures, but don't buy 4 gallons until you have tested it in YOUR room with YOUR accesories AND lighting.

I once tried to paint a small room a pale, almost white, blue. Wound up with a robin's egg instead. More other blue mishaps followed, but I digress.... It can be so soothing when the color is perfect.

• bestyears
    13 years ago

We painted our mbr in BM Silver Mist #1619, a few years ago, and just love it. When I walk into the room, I always feel, "aaahhhh..."

• tfm1134
    13 years ago

check out BM Ice Cap. We have it in our spare bedroom and it's a beautiful gray/blue

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

BM Metropolitan if you want a medium blue grey. I painted my husband's office and our master while he was away. Did the master in BM Palladian Blue which came out bluer than I had wanted, but looks pretty at night. The Metropolitan in the office is perfect-it is soothing and very relaxing and looks lovely with both the antiques which are dark and the lighter shade of DH's desk. It is an Affinity color for Aura. I wish I had used it in the master, but as dainaadele said, blue tones are hard to predict. We used BM Lily of the Valley (#905, I think) for the crown and the ceiling.

• rosie611
    13 years ago

We did BM James River Gray in our master bedroom and it is really beautiful. It may be a bit darker than you are thinking but it is lovely with white trim. I was nervous it was going to be dark but it really came out to a beautiful, almost slate color that still reflects light. We liked it so much we also used it in our finished basement. We also thought about doing Nantucket fog as a medium blue-gray.
    Good luck.
    Nancy

• nik211
    13 years ago

I have BM Marina Gray in my bedroom and I love it.

• urotex
    13 years ago

SW Comfort Gray....looks blue or green or gray depending on what other colors you use. We love it in our master br!

• shetland
    13 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE our C2 "Dorian Gray". It is the perfect blue/gray color

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Is it GRAY or GREY? I have always been confused about these two spellings. lol

redroze - I have never been a gray fan, but your rooms are so pretty and soothing - like a spa!

My daughter and I asked the BM sales lady for a light blue that goes well with chocolate, and she immediately handed us the sample of Wedgewood Grey. Said it's a best seller. It's more blue, than gray.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Oh Redroze - you know how I love your home!

• redroze
    13 years ago

Got this from wikipedia: Grey (sometimes spelled gray in parts of the U.S.) I thought it may be a Canada vs US spelling kinda thing since I'm Canadian!

Thanks newhome and ttodd. =)

• jenangelcat
    13 years ago

I'm having trouble finding the right grayish blue as well. I find most of the recommendations are actually bluish gray.

I picked one out for my dining room a couple months ago and while it's definitely blue on the paint chip, on the walls, it is more of a light grayish purple.

• mom2reese
    13 years ago

My daughters' Jack-n-Jill bath is Sherwin Williams North Star (SW 6246). I was looking for an "icy blue" and found one after many, many paint samples. Of course I'm the same one that put up 10+ samples of beige, LOL.

The pictures below aren't great, and I think the color reads blue in person (grayish-blue rather than bluish-gray, if that makes sense)

• straitlover
    13 years ago

I am looking for the same thing for my guest bedroom. After many, many mind changes, I have narrowed it down to either BM Nantucket Fog or Valspar/Lowes Shark (my samles says Shark but on the Valspar website it's Shark Loop). I think .... :)

• tiskers
    13 years ago

My upstairs bathroom is a lovely grey/blue color: Artist Studio by Ralph Lauren. In the velvet finish... ahhhhh!!!!

• dccnm
    13 years ago

Behr's Gray Morning. LOVE it! Had it mixed by BM since I prefer that brand. It's darker than the pics above--definitely more "medium" in tone. Worth checking out.

• Newyorking
    13 years ago

I love Benjamin Moore Ice Cube Silver. It looks amazing with my dark gray tiles in the bathroom.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Comfort Gray Sherwin Williams

or
    Light Blue by Farrow and Ball

• skyedog
    13 years ago

I went with BM Nantucket fog in my kitchen. It is a darker than what's been posted here but I get a lot of compliments on it (men tend to really like it). Supposedly it is a warm blue. It is much prettier than the sample card.

• credomk
    13 years ago

A lot of people like BM's Wedgewood Gray, but it turned baby blue in our mudroom. :-( Still need to figure out what we're going to use there instead.

As for the spelling, "gray" is the U.S. spelling, "grey" is the British spelling. One of the many words that varies slightly depending on which heritage formed your spelling.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Don't know why, but I've always preferred to spell grey with an "e" and I'm a born and raised NY/NJ-ite.

We just used BM Affinity color called Constellation in our MB. It's a lt. blue with greyish-greenish tones or undertones. Will either use that or a 50% version in the Master Bedroom.

• howling_angel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you everyone, for all the input! i have collected a ridiculous amount of paint chips based on everyone's recommendations. i'm holding off on making a final decision until i get our new comforter and can match the chips to the color on that, so i still don't know which color i'm going with. but all the suggestions were super helpful. the people on this forum are the best!

• sydmad2010
    13 years ago

We did BM Nantucket Fog in our 1/2 bath and I love it!

• kidshop
    13 years ago

This is a glidden color mixed in Behr premium plus. I love it and it's called Arctic Stone. It's a perfect gray with blue tone. We just finished painting today!

• denali2007
    13 years ago

I painted my ceilings in 3 rooms Constellation and at night it looks gray.