Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltj889

Help with bathroom makeover please!

LTJ889
9 years ago

Hi,
I have attached a photo of our dated bathroom. We are on a budget so for now we can't replace the tiles/floors but I wanted to paint the wood surrounding the bath/sink and change accessories.
What color do you think would be the best option? I was thinking of painting a dark stain and buying stainless steel accessories to try modernize it. Maybe to bring in another bright color in accessories.
And yes I hate the avocado bath, toilet etc but we can't afford to replace them right now. Are they suitable for any kind of revamp?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :) thanks!

Comments (23)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

A few questions first: is this a cabin type home? Does the wood somehow extend the style of the house?

What is on the floor? It's difficult to see grout lines, Is this tile or cork? What is the bathtub made of? Acrylic, Cast Iron, Fiberglass? Is the tile on the wall white?

All these answers will help us provide better suggestions for you.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I would paint all the wood a creamy white and replace the toilet seat with white, new white shower curtain and paint the vanity white, then I'd find some towels with a hint of the tub color and get a nice fluffy rug for the vanity. White tones with avocado can make a very pleasant bathroom. Keep it simple. Remove all accessories that aren't green or white.

• valmooreinphx
    9 years ago

Totally agree with yayagal. white would look lovely. Depending on the style of your house, you could go creamy, distressed/antiqued, or more bright.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or this one if you go with an earth tone/brown (and this one is on sale!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Talavera tulip rug

• satine_gw
    9 years ago

I think painting the wood white would really soften the look. I also love white, green and a very pale violet together. Makes me think of a country day. White towels with a soft floral design would be pretty. Good luck.
    Satine

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Agree with yayagirl to go with white or cream. And then get a white orchid or bamboo plant.

{{!gwi}}

Alternatively, I wonder if you could pull off something like this:

I probably would decide based on what shape the tub is in. Replacing a toilet shouldn't be that difficult. Costco has relatively inexpensive ones.

• LTJ889
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, thanks for your advice and photos guys! Keep them coming.
    To answer beverly's questions :
    No, it's just a regular semi-detached house. There is some pine furniture downstairs but we want to modernize it.
    It is cork type flooring. The bath/toilet are just hard plastic and the tiles are a very light green color.
    Hope this helps :)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I'd also paint all go the wood a white, and add some batten trim. White shower curtain on the tub and window (ditch the blinds), and white toilet seat. What's on the counters? Is it laminate and what color? A seagrass rug would look nice covering most of the floor. What does the hardware on the sink look like? Could you find something to along the same lines as the pretty door lever?

• LTJ889
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Errant, thanks for your advice!
    The counters are the same tile as the walls - a light green. I love the idea of a rug.
    Yeah the taps are silver so it would be nice to match them with the gold door lever.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I just noticed the weird toilet tank enclosure. If you could get rid of that, your bathroom might feel a bit less crowded. Maybe just switch out the toilet, too. A new toilet can be had for about $100, is easy to install, and would use much less water :)

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

some of those photos make me want an avocado bath, it looks beautiful, clean and soothing with white. OP, please post after photos of this one.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Add a fabric that makes the avocado and white look intentional ...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, the tiles are light green? I thought they were white.

Then yes, I'd paint the woodwork white.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

All white!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

If you look at shower curtains on Wayfair and sort on florals and the colors white and green, you will see lots of great stuff :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Just noticed that you're located in Ireland.

Below a link on how to handle colored fixtures.

Also, do you have any wall that's not tiled, or is it all light green tile?
    What's underneath the cork tiles?

I'd basically go all white and green or pick a shower curtain that has green, white/cream, and a third color.

I wonder if someone could photoshop the tub surround and the wood in either dark, dark brown/black or in white/cream.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to deal with colored fixtures

• edeevee
    9 years ago

I agree with just about all the advice you've received so far. We just did a "good enough for now" update on a bathroom with a green tub and toilet. We replaced the stool with a new one (pretty cheap to do) but we kept the green tub ... on purpose!

I like the way our bathroom looks now. We painted everything a bright white and chose a shower curtain that had our color of green in it, plus a couple of bright, fun, complimentary colors.

I stink at taking pictures -- even when I can find a real camera. This one from my cellphone doesn't show the colors at their best.

Good luck!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I love some of the baths posted here as inspiration. If you don't replace the toilet, I would get a new seat, but I think a white seat will only make it look older and patched together. There are other sites on the internet that sell new seats to match vintage fixtures, so check them out, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage colors toilet seats

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That is a really great idea, oly! You're right, if she can't replace the toilet, a matching seat would look much better than a different color.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I also think painting the wood a creamy white would be beautiful, while keeping the green tub.

I love pink, white & green bathrooms. I could have so much fun with yours!

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

Avocado bathroom makeover:

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado Bathroom Makeover

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Here is what I "see" as the issue. The wood and flooring are reading as orange. Your brain tries to make them not matter or be wood color, but in actuality they are quite prominent.

So I agree to minimize the wood tones with paint. I also think a large bath rug, or a runner in a color that doesn't fight the orange would be good.

I also would not introduce any blue, as it will bring out the orange. I would change out the toilet seat to white. Paint the wood all white , ironstone white, or maybe a very pale khaki tan.