Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red reads brown - ARGH!

Posted by groovia (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 7:19

Please tell me this is an iillusion. Ok, not REALLY brown. But I see it.

I painted my small half bath BM Pottery Red, after much deliberation. RT, Pomegranate, Maple Leaf Red all too bright. Raisin Torte and Dinner Party too dark. Pottery Red seemed like a great compromise.

Now, the morning after, with 1 coat on, it totally seems like an earthy, pottery color (duh, maybe they don't name the colors arbitrarily), and not the deep, rich, luscious red I was expecting.

The mirror is covered, so I know that's messing with my head. I'll stick a reveal bulb in the ceiling fixture. But, is this just me? Has anyone else found Pottery Red a little... earthy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red reads brown - ARGH!

it does look brownish red in the link, like a deep terra cotta red (think new roof tiles). If you are looking for deep true red, I can see where this disappoints. Yep, I see brownish red. (sorry)

Here is a link that might be useful: BM pottery red link

o

I'm not seeing pottery terra cotta; it's more pink/purple/red on my monitor. But it is definitely not "red". The color will change just a bit as it continues to dry.

o

It matches the red in my oriental rug in adjoining room perfectly. This has to be me. I guess we can add some moulding or wainscoting if it gets to be too much.

o

You usually can't judge the color until you get a second (or third) coat on the wall. What lightbulbs are in the fixtures? That can change the paint color, too. BTW, that's a really nice color.

o

It looks like a beautiful red on my monitor and also in the picture of the example room. Keep going. I'll bet it's going to be lovely. Also, check the paint chip against what you have to make sure they mixed it correctly (put a dab on the chip and let dry).

o

I agree, do the two coats and then see, also the lighting. It really looks like a great color.

o

It looks alot like hot apple spice which is a great color i used in several homes. Do the second coat amd live with it for a few days.

o

It looks like an earthy, muddy red in the link above, though I know those can be way off. With a name like "pottery," though, the earthiness makes sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here