Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winesnob_gw

Bath/Spa paint from BM - worth it or ploy

winesnob
11 years ago

Have you used this paint collection for your bathroom, what do you think of it. My painter says it is just a marketing ploy and not any better than some of the other paints. The only thing is I am going to paint the ceiling of my shower stall instead of doing it in tile and I just think the moisture would better suit something like this, that is if it works.

Comments (14)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Use Perma-White instead. It is tintable to any color you want.

• denali2007
    11 years ago

I love the Bath and Spa paint. My master bath has regular Aura and has so many streaks. I used the Bath and Spa in another bathroom and love it. It has a flat look and there are no streaks at all. Totally worth it.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

If you want flat, it's worth it; I'd say non-negotiable.

I spaced out when painting my ceiling trim in my tiny, steamy bathroom, and used the same flat white I'd used on the ceiling (which also isn't recommended for bathrooms, but I refuse to put sheen on my popcorn). Within months, the paint on the trim was crackling all over the place. I now have a very vivid visual of why to recommend paint with a sheen to customers painting bathrooms (since my store doesn't sell the Aura bath spa matte).

On the other hand, the spa matte might not be worth it if you don't mind going with eggshell or pearl (satin) sheen, in a lower grade paint.

• winesnob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for your input. I just want to make sure it doesn't have too much sheen. I am doing the bedroom and in Aura in Thunder. I have two closets that come off this bathroom, they are done in white shelving. My painter suggested staying with the white wall paint in there. Do you agree. I can see his point because of darkness in closets, especially with dark gray as thunder. Thank you

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

We just used BM Bath & Spa paint (matte), color Interlude, in our bath. Can't vouch for its durability since it's only been a couple of weeks, but the paint is wonderful to work with, coverage is great, and the matte finish looks rich. Very happy with it.

I would indeed stick with white or a pale color in closets, and be sure to provide sufficient lighting. Just yesterday I was trying to find something in a reach-in storage closet and lamenting the lack of light. I know it's in there somewhere....

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Loved it!!

Had tried the SW bath stuff, too shiny. Same with Lowe's bath paint.

I find it a small miracle that you can have a flat paint designed for the bathroom.

Go for it.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I agree with your painter and lazydaisynot on the closets: white is the easiest, but if you want a color, keep it light.

• dmlinparadise
    11 years ago

Lazydaisynot: any pictures of your bath up yet. BM Interlude is on the short list for some is the bigger brighter rooms in our new build.

• anninthedistrict
    11 years ago

Is the concept behind it moisture resistance? I can't say whether it is a marketing ploy or not. The other posters seem to really like it.
    There is also an additive available for paint that you stir in to "help" with moisture. I am sorry I don't recall the name. I did use it in my bathrooms. I think it did help a bit. I live in an old house with no ventilation fans in my bathrooms so moisture can be a problem.

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

I think I'm going to use it in my guest bath/hall powder room just because I want a matte finish. There is entry to this small bath from the hall as a powder room and also from the guest room. The tub and shower are only used a couple of times a year when guests use it as a full bath, so moisture isn't a major problem. I just want a deep saturated matte finish. Color will be dark- BM Hale Navy. Does this make sense to use it only for the non-sheen finish instead of going with flat or eggshell?? I'm sure it's much more expensive, which is okay if you guys agree it is worth the price for the matte finish. Obviously a powder room on the main floor is used by almost everyone who comes in the house, so it's important to me.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

From BM's website:
    ''Aura Bath & Spa Matte Finish is a premium interior coating specially formulated for optimal performance in high humidity environments such as baths and spas. With the added benefits of Color Lock� Technology and mildew resistance it delivers remarkable durability and exceptional color.''

Normal flat or matte paint will not hold up well in humid environments, which is why paints with sheen are usually recommended. The sheen ingredients settle on top of the pigment ingredients and protect them from the moisture.

If you don't mind subtle sheen, my parents used 'ben' in eggshell in their main bath and it's lovely. Retail was $39.99 However, for those who love the rich look of flat/matte paint so much that they want to continue it into the humid bathroom environment, Aura Bath and Spa is the way to go. The caveat is that it's much pricier ($60+), but from what I've heard about Aura, it could be worth it. It comes down to your budget, aesthetics and priorities.

• Rachel L
    3 years ago

Hey @winesnob did you use this BM Aura Bath & Spa paint in the end? If so, how did it hold up over the years?

• HU-966718201
    2 years ago

We used “BM aura bath and spa” in our hall/kids bathroom (only now it’s for grandchildren) two years ago. I was worried about using a matte paint in a bathroom on the walls. Was I wrong! Ha! Splashes leave NO watermarks on the wall. I’ve never had to scrub it. Still looks just beautiful. Going to try it on the ceiling in our mbr bathroom next. Yep it’s expensive but I’ll be long gone before this is repainted.