Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annac54

Low profile (short drop) bedskirt?

annac54
12 years ago

Anyone seen any bedskirts for low-profile (half-sized) box springs? I haven't had any luck finding them. I will probably have to make one, but I have other things I need to spend my time doing. TIA for any suggestions.

Comments (35)

• susieq07
    12 years ago

What is the drop/length? most bed skirts go from 14" to 18"
    Overstock has several at 14" plus you can uses risers to raise the bed if needed.

• annac54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The drop is 9". The mattress is 16", so we went with the low-profile box spring as we didn't want the bed any higher.

• les917
    12 years ago

Do you need a bed skirt? You could consider covering the box spring with a fitted sheet in a color that compliments your bedding instead.

Otherwise, just buy one and shorten it.

• jerseygirl_1
    12 years ago

We have a low profile box spring also, We used a regular length bedskirt and pinned it up from the top of the mattress.. I got the idea from someone at Macy's who told me it's what they sometimes do. Worked out fine.

• upa_lazy_river
    12 years ago

Anna, I have a queen bed with a low profile box spring. A queen bedskirt hung too long but I found a "full" size bedskirt fit perfectly. Good luck. I didn't want to hem it either!!

• annac54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe the queen will work on our king mattress. Otherwise, I'll try pinning it up. If all fails, I'll just shorten one. At the moment, I have enough going on with a kitchen re-do that's taking up a lot of time. I'm just tired of looking at the pink box spring which doesn't go with anything in that room.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

I was going to suggest safety pins also. Then got to thinking that maybe you could "hem" one with 1/4" iron on invisible tape. Would need ironing when new, so two for one activity and give you some nice body to the bedskirt fabric. I've used this before and it is easy, takes little time and looks really good rather than the normal little hemming on most.

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

emagineer,
    I have been thinking of iron on tape for somethings I have to do and was wondering is that removable if you ever change your mind or is it a permanent solution.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Lyban,
    It depends upon the tape. Check the package and play with it prior to a finished project. I have used some that allows me to pull apart later and washing will remove the rest. Also depends upon how hot the iron is. Read directions as too hot will melt the tape rather than come out as wanted. Iron the item for a fold wanted before using. It works well and gives a crisp edge without a hem showing. You can also use it for clothing...shortening pants, etc.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Although I can't find it now, I read a blog where someone had cut their bedskirt up and hot glued it to the box springs. As she said, how much damage could she do to the value of used box springs?

If you didn't want to hot glue it, you could pin it to the box springs using quilting pins. If you choose to do that, get the curved quilting pins.

There are some ideas in the Comments section of the article linked below, including a link to an Etsy shop, and a tutorial on making a bedskirt with pins and a sheet.

Here is a link that might be useful: AT article

• MiMi
    10 years ago

Hot glue... what a great idea sounds like something I would think of... or Gorilla glue.... lol

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Anna, if you're just tired of the pink, put a fitted sheet over the boxspring until you have time to come up with a permanent fix.

• Jodi_SoCal
    7 years ago

Since this post is a few years old I'm going to bring it back to life. I too am looking for a 9" drop bed skirt. Instead of ruffled, I'd like a box/pleated look. Any suggestions?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I have a problem now too. We got rid of the box springs and got bunky boards because our mattress is so tall even with the low box springs it was too tall. Now everything is good height wise but I have no bedskirt to use. If I put it under the mattress between it and the bunky board the skirt length is way too long. I don't have my sewing room together yet so I can't sew it. I have used the fuseable tape and that's an option. I had just bought a new matching bedskirt for the bedding then we took out the box springs. I have seen some that do not go under the mattress instead they have a double band of elastic and it just slides on over the mattress to the height you need it. I have thought about getting one of those. My mattress is 21 inches or so tall.

• Jodi_SoCal
    7 years ago

Hi Raven, I've seen the ones that find around instead of over but I really want one that is pleated not ruffled and doesn't require daily adjustments which I imagine the ones that just fit around will need.

I might add that I've tried pins and tape in the past and they never hold for long. I don't have a sewing machine set up and have checked custom bed skirts they run in the $200-300 price range. :-(

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

The Brookstone one is a pleated one.

• Laurie
    7 years ago

I have never used Vermont Country Store Stay Tidy Pins but they may be worth a try if you cannot find a 9" drop bed skirt.

• Jodi_SoCal
    7 years ago

I've already tried tidy pins.

The Brookstone pleated only comes in a 15" drop. I need a 9" drop. It's crazy how difficult this is to find.

• Laurie
    7 years ago

How about this? Amazon

• Jodi_SoCal
    7 years ago

Hi Laurie, I believe both sellers are companies in India. The description doesn't say how the bed skirt is attached to the mattress. I prefer the skirt comes with a deck. I sent one of the sellers a message a couple days ago asking how the skirt attaches to the mattress and have not heard back from them yet.

• Laurie
    7 years ago

On the first link I sent, if you scroll down to"Customer Questions & Answers", two buyers & the seller confirm that it's made like a sheet that covers the whole box spring, made of the same fabric from centerpiece to hangings.

On the second link (less expensive), I do not see the construction/deck issue explained anywhere. Hopefully, you'll get an answer soon.

• Jodi_SoCal
    7 years ago

Thanks for pointing me back to the first one. Apparently that was the one I sent the question to. I received an email telling me that no one has yet answered my question even though there are three replies. I was going to order the Taupe but it sounds like it's more yellow than taupe according to one reply so might go with light grey.

The second link (cheaper product) for some reason doesn't offer a 9" drop for Queen size beds. The shortest they offer is 10" which wouldn't work.

Thanks again for the links Laurie.

• Laurie
    7 years ago

The second link (cheaper) offers a Queen 9" drop...BUT, you have to scroll down the list...just below the queen 30"drop & before the list of King sizes. Yes, it's out of order!

Too bad these lower profile skirt sizes are not available at Pottery Barn, LL Bean, or Lands' End.

• lascatx
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I just wanted to mention upholstery twist pins. I remember them from my childhood and can't rememmber what exactly they were holding in place, but they are like a small, clear button with a short corkscew twist. The botton stays on the sirface, but the twist keep the pin from just slipping out. If the botton part is under the matttress, no one would ever know they were there and it would be easier to raise the fabric than have to hem it (especially if the amount is too little to cut off the hem and then put in a new one). Folding the hem would add bulk and may not allow the fabric to fall properly, but less of an issue on a tailored shirt.

Hot glue is an easy short term solution, but cleaning the dust ruffle could be an issue.

• torreykm
    7 years ago

Jodi and Raven - I'm assuming your bedskirts are on a decking. Easy fix and something you can both do if you sew. Cut the skirt into 3 pieces (bottom and two sides) using the decking material as a "waistband". We use either pig-tail pins or safety pins to attach to the foundation. If it's just a board, you can use heavy-duty velcro. If you don't feel confident doing it yourself, a good drapery workroom should be able to do it at much less the price of a new skirt.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I found one on Amazon with a 6 inch drop which is exactly what I need now and it's the box pleat in gray for under $40 so I ordered it in King. 400 thread count Egyptian cotton. We shall see. I have several sewing machines but all are packed up so I am not able to do anything with them. I will hem the one I had just bought to match the bedding when my sewing room is functional. For now this one hopefully will work.

• patpat89
    7 years ago

I just spent hours and hours looking for a 9" drop bed skirt. It should not be this hard!!! I bought the low profile box springs, aka bunky boards (where did they ever come up with that name!) for 2 queen beds for a loft with a very low ceiling height. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your posts. All my typical online shopping sites failed me, and I thought I checked Amazon, but perhaps not. Looks like the more expensive one there is the way to go. And according to reviews, I know I'll have to beware of color. Here is another alternative I almost went with as a last resort - a box spring "wrap". And as far as I could see, it's available in black, stone, white and ivory. Wasn't exactly what I wanted, but thought it would be better than the actual box spring I'd been looking at for over a year! The reviews seemed good. Just thought I'd throw it out there, but I'm gonna go with Amazon's 9" drop since I spent so much time looking for it!!! https://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Sleep-Plush-StyleWrap-Black-Fabric-Box-Spring-Cover/11552337/product.html

• Jodi_SoCal
    7 years ago

Which one did you go with Patpat89? I still have not ordered mine though a beige one from Nilebedding is sitting in my shopping cart waiting for me to hit order.

• ekscrunchy
    7 years ago

I cannot believe how difficult it is to find a nice tailored skirt for the "low profile" box spring that I just purchased. I'd love any additional ideas besides the ones mentioned above. My mattress (not delivered yet) is full sized and I much prefer not to have to do any tailoring.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Years ago I purchased a matelasse coverlet and matching box spring cover for my bed from Lands End. Great quality and it is still on my bed. Washes up well too❣️I wanted a clean simple look for my Shaker style 4 poster bed.