Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faucet style, lights and dimensions

Posted by jacquelynn (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 1:26

Do any of you coordinate your vanity light fixtures with your faucets?

I'm still deciding on lights, and am posting a pic of my faucets and my latest lighting options (#2 and #3 were your preferences from my earlier post).
The mock-ups are not to scale!

The bathroom is small, pink, and mid-century. I'm replacing the wallpaper with paint, changing the flooring, and removing the wall heater. But as you can see, when you look into the room, the sink is on the side -- so you're not getting a front view of the lights...so I wonder if the beauty of sconces would be wasted.

The console sink is 24" wide, the mirror is 24" wide, and both of the above-the-mirror light fixtures are 18" wide.

So if, you take into consideration the sizing and the faucet style...which light fixture seems the best fit?

Thank you!

photo faucet3_zpsee650792.jpg

photo Lightswithfaucetnewest_zps124fbd08.jpg

photo Wholebathroom1_zpsdc869d04.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faucet style, lights and dimensions

Here's the console sink (please ignore the wallpaper
coming off!)

o

Sconces will provide much better light--from the side rather then from above--for make up or shaving.

o

I like the #1 lighting option with your faucet. I like how it echoes the shape of the faucet handle. I love your bathroom!

o

My bathroom remodel is coming down the home stretch. I still need my vanity faucet installed and towel bar, which will complete all the metal finishes.

I went with chrome on light, plumbing fixtures and extras. IOW, I matched. I worried and dithered and yet, it all looks fine. I was especially worried about the 5-light vanity fixture, thinking it would be this blaring chrome thing. It's not. It provides good light and I like the style and the finish takes a backseat. I think if I'd gotten brushed nickel instead, it would still be fine. It think the concerns with matching, and yet not over-matching, aren't as big a deal as some make them out to be.

I think the styles of my faucet and lights go together, without matching. Since my style is transitional, I steer clear of extremely contemporary or traditional and everything in between seems to work.

o

I appreciate all of your comments.

holly-kay -- your compliment made my day! Thanks
so much!

o

Oh, my gosh, I love, love, LOVE the sink fixtures! So glad you're hanging onto them!

they're nice enough to be a feature, so yes, I'd get lighting that compliments (versus matches, per se) them.

o

Just a thought…I know you haven't asked about this, but I think a skirt around the sink would add to the quaintness of that bathroom, while hiding the plumbing. and you could hide a basket under there holding extra TP.

o

My guest bath vanity has traditional trim and door style, and I saw it as a feminine room, so I tried to pick faucet and lights with soft curves instead of hard angles. Faucet was easy but I liked very few lights in chrome.

I like #4 with your faucet and the pink. It's feminine but subtle enough for the modest sink. But I actually think #3 goes with that sink style, kind of a Restoration Hardware look, and it's got a bit of a curve and a ball like the faucet. Yup, #3.

o

Tibrrix,
Thank you so much for the compliment! It means a lot.
And yes…I am getting a sink skirt. I’ve already found
a seamstress to make a custom one.

May flowers, thank you! I agree with all of your points,
which is why the decision isn’t easy! #1 is the only one
rated for damp locations, and I’m wondering if that means
the chrome will be rust-resistant.

o

After I posted I realized #3 was similar to the light I got for my guest bath. It's Gatco Oldenburg. I'm pretty sure the base is brass because I did a lot of research and contacted the company. I've been really happy with it. It's made in China--surprise!

I ordered it through Lightingdirect. Someone asked on their site about this sconce and they said it can be used in damp bathrooms. I got it in about 5 days and found a coupon code and saved 6% IIRC.

The other reason I like that shade style for your BR is that the heavier glass shade seems to go better with your heavier sink. The Oldenburg also has a little flare out at the top of the shade, so it's a little more feminine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gatco Oldenburg sconce

o

How about something like this? I think this would be perfect for that bathroom.

o

Ohhhhh May that light is really pretty. It looks so nice in your link. I still like #1 but your light is just beautiful.

o

Really like may_flower's sconce in the link too.

o

I have the 3-light over a 36" vanity. I really scoured the internet and only found two lights I liked in chrome! Sconces are so much prettier than the overhead lights.

There's also mirrors and towel bars in the Oldenburg collection.

o

May, that light is beautiful -- but now I'm psyched up to
get sconces. :)

Tibbrix, I love the Oldenburg sconces! But the Lightingdirect site says their theme is "modern" -- which I obviously don't want. Should I just assume they're mistaken? :)

o

Does anyone like this one? It's polished nickel, though.

o

I posted the Oldenburg sconces. I don't consider them modern. I like the candle but I think it's too delicate for your solid looking sink, and the light output is only for ambience. It doesn't seem like a bath light to me. But I'd mock up two boxes the size of a shaded sconce to see if it's too much over the small sink. Maybe a narrow shade is better. I'll look around for something, though I think they're expensive.

o

I went to Lightingdirect but didn't see much difference in widths with the shaded sconces. The tube-type shades look too modern, but I did see a few plainer styles with cylindrical shades.

Here's one that has a straighter shade but has "pretty" elements and a vintage feel because of the shade. I basically looked for a round or oval backplate, a nice shape shade, and uses up to a 100 W bulb. I like to buy brands I've heard of before so I limited it to those, though Lightingdirect has a great reputation for customer service.

Here is a link that might be useful: sconce

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 11:06

o

Well, first of all, May_flowers gets credit for posting the Gatco Oldenburg sconces, not me. As for being too modern, no, I think they're perfect, actually. I think they have an updated classic look, which is perfect, IMO, for what you are trying to do.

They'd be my first choice if it was my bathroom. They're simple enough to be mid-century, like your bathroom, traditional enough with the chrome part to be classic, and modern enough to give the bath a little bit of updating. I think they've got it all.

o

May_flowers, Gosh, I’m so sorry about the mistake! Thank you so much for posting the Oldenburg sconces. And I love the Murray Feiss one you just posted as well.

As for the candle, I have a ceiling light that I'm relying on now, so I don't really need much illumination from the sconces.

And thanks Tibbrix for your vote!

I’ll try mocking them up to size.

o

I just discovered that The Gatco Oldenburg Collection actually includes an oval frameless mirror. Its measurements are 26.5 Inches x 19.5 Inches.

Since my mirror is 35.7 x 23.7 -- do you think the
sconces might be too small for it? I'll still do the mock-ups,
but I'm just wondering about this.

o

The dimensions of the Oldenburg sconce are 9.5 X 4.5, although they don't say if the 9.5" height is from the base of the wall plate or the lamp part), so you can actually measure how they might look next to your mirror. They sound pretty standard, though.

o

Tibbrix,

Thanks. I was just worried they might look skimpy.

I'll post the mockups when they're ready...thank
you again for all your help!

o

The Oldenburg shade is 5 1/4" H. They are not tiny sconces. I have the same size mirror over a 36" vanity and I think the size will be fine. I used the three light over my mirror, so you could go that way too. But how will it look to have the sconces so far off to the sides of the sink? I've only seen them over vanities.

I actually like the vintage feel and delicate prettiness of the shade of the Murray Feiss. Picturing it with your sink skirted. What fabric are you using?

o

Also look at the Murray Feiss Concord sconce. It's less than 5" wide and the shade mimics the shape of your sink.

o

May_flowers,

I really appreciate your finding these for me...the Concord one is very pretty, too.

I haven't decided on the fabric for the skirt sink -- do you
have any suggestions?

I'm concerned about the sconces' placement to the sides of the sink, too! In fact, here's my original question on the topic from last March: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0301182216877.html?7

It'd be simpler and cheaper to go with one fixture
above the mirror...but I love the look of sconces! :(

o

Ahem….that is why I suggested the one light that goes over the mirror! It goes with the era of your bathroom, but I think it's also charming.

Seems like it got a resounding thumbs down, though! So hard being a maverick!

Lol.

o

I have a 19" oval mirror over a 22" pedestal sink in my powder room, and I think it'd look fine with sconces extending beyond the sink. You have a really large oval mirror that can handle a three-light, so I think you could go either way.

The Murray Feiss Concord is polished nickel--I know you were concerned about chrome. The three-light is nice too. Can you pair the Concord sconce up with the oval mirror so I can see (unless you hate it)? So far it's my favorite. Oh wait, is this your bath or my bath? lol! I have sconce envy because I couldn't do them.

What will the floor and paint be? I assume you'll put some pink in the skirt fabric.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 11:25

o

Tibrrix,

The two single fixtures I liked got a thumbs down, too!

May, here's the mockup -- they look lovely. I like them all! :(

I'm thinking of painting the walls Benjamin Moore Opal with a white on the trim that matches my window shutters. The floor may be Forbo Marmoleum Concrete or Serene Grey. (I know -- tile would look much nicer, but I've decided against it).

The skirt might be a deep pink, almost a coral. Then I'd hang black-framed art that has the same coral in it.

Of course, I'm open to suggestions on everything!!!
Your help is very appreciated. :)

o

I don't care for the Concord sconces. I think they're too Colonial for that bathroom. The first ones Mayflower put up were perfect, or the one that would go over the mirror/medicine cab.

I like that May_flowers steered you away from the tulip shades. Not a fan!

o

Tibbrix, which ones were the tulip shades? The Murray Feiss Perry? I still like those. I like the idea of bringing a feminine touch in with the shades, and I like these better than the original choices, especially anything with a bell shade.

So what makes the Concord colonial? I don't know period styles too well, but I can see how the candlestick sconce is colonial or American traditional.

I might like the Concord better with a rectangular mirror and a heavier faucet. Love it with the sink though. I think your sink and faucet aren't a perfect pairing--I see the sink as more solid and masculine, almost utilitarian, while the faucet is dainty. Maybe Tibb is leaning to the masculine aspect while I'm leaning toward the feminine, but it's probably that she knows period decor. But I see it as trending feminine with the pink tile, oval mirror, and sink skirt. Will you use a feminine print for the skirt? The Opal paint is very pretty in the blog I saw it on.

I don't think the Oldenburg is especially feminine. The fixture I loved was discontinued so I settled on it. I have the Delta Cassidy faucet, which is tall and curvy. I would put the heavier shade styles like the Oldenburg and the two-light Tibbrix posted with a mirrored medicine cabinet.

BTW Tibbrix, what part of the Cape do you live on? I know the mid-Cape area pretty well as I have a sister in Eastham and one in Brewster. My mother lived in Harwich for about 10 years before she passed away.

o

may_flowers,

I think what you are calling the bell shades I'm calling "tulip". That is why I picked #3 in her first choices, because they're the only shades that don't have the bell/tulip flare, which I'm not very fond of.

The Concord sconces are Colonial (I mean, "Concord"? Helloooo? Lol) by the squared off nature (not doing a good job here of describing it!) of them, esp. on the corners of the plates.

I really like the Oldenburgs you suggested and think they'd fit in really well with her bathroom. I LOVE her sink fixtures, the curlicue style of them. I think the Concord sconces, being so squared off, would not go very well, while the Oldenburgs would. Just my opinion, of course.

I actually lived in Concord until I was six! Lol. Those scream "Concord"!

I'm in Barnstable. Bought a house there three years ago. I lived in a family home in Provincetown for ten years prior, and rented a cottage in Truro for a year before I found my Barnstable house. I love my house, but I really miss the Outer Cape, esp. the people and beaches/national seashore. I'm in Ptown right now for the week while my house is rented, and I'm heading up to Eastham this afternoon to meet with a client at her beach house. I was in Newport, RI, last week at a client's summer home, again while my house was rented out. Newport is a really nice town.

o

It's a nice drive down 6 through Barnstable, stopping in the shops and galleries along the way. Wish I had a lobster roll and some homemade ice cream right now....

I actually posted that about the sconces being called Concord, but I felt I was wordy enough so I deleted it. Lol!

Okay, so we both agree to avoid bell shades. I think they look a little cheapo.

o

That is actually 6A (6 is the highway) but yes, I LOVE It over there on 6A from Sandwich through Yarmouthport.

o

Right, 6A, the scenic route. Goes right by the Ice Cream Smuggler in Dennis, which has awesome orange pineapple ice cream.

o

I'm confused. :(

May_flowers, I haven't thought about the fabric
for the skirt -- but a feminine print sounds very pretty.

Does anyone absolutely hate my original #1, #5,
or the candlestick sconce -- or think they don't fit
my decor at all?

o

I don't think the candle sconces fit at all. #1 of your original would go great with the sink hardware. Still like May_flowers's Oldenburg sconce the best.

o

I also don't think the candlesticks fit--definitely early American. I think #1 is too frilly with the solid squareness of the tub and sink, the big items in the room. Your other choices...I think you can do better. I think a nicer base plate or shade or some other detail can do a lot to make it look more expensive than it really is. I had so hard of a time choosing a chrome fixture--most looked Home Depot-y. We've been slowly removing the builder basic fixtures in our home, so I have light snobbery against certain styles. I'm like this with everything I buy; consequently, I don't buy a lot of stuff! I think it's called analysis paralysis. Or just remove the -ysis paralysis from my last sentence. ;)

o

Thanks Tibbrix, about the candlestick.

And May_Flowers...I'm finding that almost all the
chrome fixtures look cheap to me now!

Why don't you think #5 would work? I'm almost ready
to give up on sconces all together. :)

o

It will work. It's a good length--18". It also comes in a two light at 13". I'm not crazy about the curved bar and the two light is less curvy. Two will provide enough light, but is it long enough? Is three too long? I have a three light over a 36" vanity. I didn't see any other two or three lights I loved on Lightingdirect, mainly because the down lights aren't as pretty IMO.

o

Sorry, but if you go with a light over the mirror, I really like the schoolhouse light I put up as it is absolutely perfect for that bathroom's era/style.

o

Look what I found while searching for something else!

I also found a 1949 Crane catalogue, which may help with some ideas :)

Here is a link that might be useful: 1949 Crane

o

Way cool, Errant! Note that all the mirrors are rectangular. One is shown with two sconces.

What about the Pottery Barn Sussex double sconce? It's 14" wide, and the polished nickel is on sale for only $99. Polished nickel has gold undertones, better with your faucet. Chrome has blue undertones. Their Mercer sconce is similar to Oldenburg.

o

Errant, thank you! Lots of interesting stuff there.

May_flowers, thank you for the Pottery Barn light.
Hmmm. Do you think I should go with polished nickel?
I had assumed my faucet was chrome (which shows how much I know!).
But I would also think the shower and tub faucets are chrome, and I had planned on getting new towel bars and tp holder in chrome.

Tibbrix, Did you post a link to the schoolhouse light?
I don't see it.

May_flowers, what do you think is the ideal length range
for a 24" sink? Is yours 18"?

Here's one more I found; it comes in chrome. The lights
only face up, though.

photo Europhasewithmirror_zps28b72c56.jpg

And here are some examples of oval mirrors,
where the sconces are mounted higher than I thought was usually the case.
I prefer that aesthetically, since I'm starting to think
I really don't like the look of silver metal on the wall.
It's less noticeable when it's not at eye level :(

I love the lampshade ones...but I haven't found any in a reasonable price range.

photo Examples_zps8f544812.jpg

o

I posted the pic of the schoolhouse light right on the post, but here it is again. I love it because it's so retro looking.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 21:51

o

Tibbrix,

I did see the picture -- but I was wondering what the link to it is. I'd like to read more about it! It's growing on me.

I take it the "Dorado" doesn't do it, either? :)

Again, thanks for all your help!

o

Here is the link for the Burlington schoolhouse light.

Cons in the reviews say the bulbs are difficult to change, so if you were to go with this light, I'd get two very good LED bulbs which will last for 20 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burlington light

o

Re: the Dorado. Something isn't right about it, to ME. But we don't matter. I think you'll know the right light when you see it. It'll hit you. Try to not get caught up in caring so much what a consensus might be. Instead, try to find the light that you will love having in your bathroom. Don't listen to the "taste" arguments, per se, namely us saying we LOVE this one of don't like that one. Listen, rather, to the arguments as to WHY, because the why might help you see the light in from a perspective you at first did not, good or bad.

Not sure that's very clear! I feel somewhat discombobulated this morning!

o

Three shades are too much over your 24" sink and oval mirror. Use either the sconces or a two light. The PB Sussex is also available in chrome for $129. I'd match my light and faucet metals, but the others don't matter as much. If the towel bar will be near the tub, you won't even notice. But nickel is always more expensive, which is why the Sussex seems like such a bargain. It doesn't have brass as a base metal like the Oldenburg though. No two-light in the Oldenburg.

Got a couple pics from Houzz for illustrative purposes. The second one might be the PB Mercer light. The last one shows a heavier sconce with fabric shades with a larger mirror. Good balance.

o

PB has a similar style to Tibb's light in the Mercer collection

Here is a link that might be useful: Mercer light

o

I like the Burlington/Mercer style for your bathroom, although I do think they'd do better with a rectangular mirror.

I think they reflect the retro style of your bathroom while adding a little uniqueness, and yet also being classic enough to last for years.

I'd go with chrome. It'll look good with your fixtures and it'll hold up well in the dampness of a bathroom.

o

Re: your faucet. I see a brassy area that looks like the chrome or nickel has worn off, but maybe it's just a reflection.

I also don't like the El Dorado! Agree with Tibb about tastes. I try to explain my thinking and prejudices, which made my search for a chrome light a long one! I get the sense that you're not so much worried about staying true to the vintage feel as you are in making it a pretty bathroom. If you were, you'd probably have stayed with the rectangular mirror.

o

"I like the Burlington/Mercer style for your bathroom, although I do think they'd do better with a rectangular mirror."

Yup.

o

Tibbrix, thank you for that link! Since I know little about decor or eras, I've found all of your posts very informative and helpful. And I appreciate your comments about my having to like it. I will say that the only element of this that I'm sure I love at this point...is the oval-shaped mirror. :(

May_flowers -- okay, so I'll rule out the three-light ones.
And thank you for those pix (and the Mercer light). None of them really stands out for me (except I love the wallpaper in the third one)! And the more feminine style of light goes well with it.

You are so right about me wanting it to be pretty!
But I also don't want something that sticks out as a total mismatch for the era.

o

I posted them so you could see that the two light is a good size.

So are you leaning more toward side sconces or overhead light?

o

Well…It’ll cost $200 to re-wire for sconces, but that’s okay -- if I’m convinced they’ll look substantially nicer than any overhead light.

Maybe I should remove the existing mirrors and wallpaper first to get a better idea of how things may look.

o

You know, to make your life a whole lot easier, you could consider an oval mirror in a square frame! and if you already have the mirror, framing it yourself in a square frame you like.

o

"But I also don't want something that sticks out as a total mismatch for the era."

If you look at the link Errant posted, you'll see that they didn't think people should linger in the bathroom and admire the decor. My house was built in 1954 and we had a 4' long mirrored medicine cabinet with a fluorescent light over it! I never saw your type of sink since homes in my city in the Hudson Valley were built around the turn of the century (claw-foot tubs, pedestal sinks) or post-WWII. I don't know when the schoolhouse style light Tibb posted would have been used, but I always thought schoolhouse lights were from the 30s. What year was your house built?

I mentioned about the sink being utilitarian. Adding a skirt will go a long way to softening it and making it work with an oval mirror. But I don't think you can go to either extreme of too frilly or too true to the era.

o

Would something like this Kichler light appeal to you?

o

Oooooh! Murray Feiss. Polished nickel. Look how pretty the base of the shade is. Similar to the Oldenburg but more graceful. Thought I saw a two light too.

I think Build.com is the parent company of Lightingdirect. Remember coupon codes are available on the internet for them and a few other websites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feiss Huguenot Lake sconce

o

Tibbrix, that's an interesting idea! I appreciate your finding that.

May_flowers, my house was built in 1948.

The Lake Huguenot is very pretty! Isn't it similar to the Perry one you also found? I'm not sure if I like the Kichler, but thanks for posting it.

photo PerryandLakeHuguenotfinals_zps2b90ade4.jpg

And here are the overhead versions. I know we ruled out
three-light fixtures, but I wonder if 13" isn't too narrow?)
 photo Finaloverheads_zps1d00f20f.jpg

I feel like I'm monopolizing the board...but I so appreciate
all your help!

This post was edited by jacquelynn on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 1:08

o

The house I'm in now has an oval mirror, no frame, with a two-light fixture, chrome, over it. I wish I could take a pic. It's very blah. I is lacking a finished look, IMO.

I really like the lights that May-Flowers is finding. I think because she and I both don't care for the tulip/bell shade thing.

o

jacquelynn, can you do a mockup with the schoolhouse light? I'm liking that light more and more in your bath and would love to see how it might look with the oval mirror.

o

Here's a straight view of the Schoolhouse Electric light to photoshop. If you go with this style, you can spend $20 more than Hudson Valley Lighting's and get a product made in the USA--Portland, Oregon. I don't think the HVL one is made in the Hudson Valley, just designed there.

I don't care for the oval sconce base plate with an oval mirror, so I might eliminate Perry. Don't like the Perry overhead sconce. You will need to mock-up the sizes for the overheads. My Oldenburg 3-light is 22" over a 24" rectangular mirror over a 36" vanity.

o

Hmm…don't care for the schoolhouse light may_flowers put up. Don't care for those shades or the extended chrome arms.

Amazing what small differences can make, isn't it?

o

I think the shades are the same. I was just reading about Schoolhouse Electric, and they found the old cast iron molds that they use for their shades in an old factory in upstate NY. Probably the HV! Also, schoolhouse lights were popular from 1900 to 1950.

I showed DH the sink and asked if he remembered them. He was born in 1944 and said the faucet wasn't from that era as they didn't have a stopper in the faucet. You stuck a plug in the drain. I remember those, with a chain connected somewhere to the sink.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 11:17

o

Yes, and those rubber stoppers with the chain worked better! Lol.

the shades on the two schoolhouse lights look different to me, both in the style but also, and more importantly, in the weight of the glass. I think the extended chrome on the light you put up make it look like a horn and give it a marine look as well as diminishing the shades on that one.

I don't know, I think they look hugely different.

o

Here are the schoolhouse light (I tried to make it more straight)
and the one May_flowers just put up.

photo Schoolhouse1_zpsa8fb6b81.jpg

photo Schoolhouse2_zps638e6c6a.jpg

My wall is 11’ long. When I take down the wallpaper and the three mirrors,
the wall may look very bare. What do you think of hanging artwork on each side of the sconces…or hanging two rectangular mirrors with an overhead light? I’ve attached sketches.

photo Mirrorwithtworectangularmirrors_zps18dac0c6.jpg

photo Artsconcesandmirror_zps2509fbfa.jpg

Thanks again.

o

Wow. I hate to say it, but I really like the Burlington.

o

I like where you have the sconces in the bottom markup too.

And of course you can hang art work or whatever to fill in what feels like empty wall space. I have little buckets (one is a bucket from Ikea and one is a wall envelope) on my bathroom walls to hold bathroom paper hand towels for guests, for example, but also as items of design.

o

how about a mockup with May_flowers's Kischler double light?

o

The Kichler is called Pocelona and also comes in a sconce.

I think three mirrors are too much for the sink. Maybe glass shelves, or just one over what looks like a hamper.

o

Thanks, guys.

Tibbrix...I wish I could like the Burlington more than I do!
Thanks for your response about hanging art.

I'm posting a pic of the three mirrors I currently have --
the ones on the side are mirrored doors for medicine cabinets. I only suggested the three mirrors since it's so convenient to have a wall mirror I can get right up next to -- I can't see myself without glasses from behind the sink! But I agree with you, May_flowers that it wouldn't look right.

photo Bathvanity_zps0fcda55b.jpg

Here's the Pocelona. One reviewer said they hung theirs facing up.

photo Porcelona_zps771a35d4.jpg

Does the Porcelona somehow compliment the faucet -- even though it doesn't have flowing lines?

o

I like the Pocelona, but I like them lamps hanging down.

But, I think I like the sconces better than the overhang lights, other than the Burlington, which I'm convinced is the correct light for your bathroom and will have to have a pouting timeout, following a temper tantrum, over your not liking it.

I think May_flowers, though, has come up with really great sconces.

o

Oh, yeah, there's the lights we had in my 1954 house! Blue tile, blue tub, sink, and toilet, and blue vanity!

I like the Pocelona for the vintage feel. It has the same look as the other balled styles--Oldenburg, Huguenot Lake. Now I see you are leaning toward something with a curved stem like your #4 and the Perry. I'll look around for something, but they don't seem to execute that look as nicely in an overhead.

I like the Perry in a sconce. I've liked all the sconces. I love the shade on the Huguenot Lake.

Tibbrix, now I can see that the schoolhouse shades are different. Think of them as looking like a bowtie and maybe you'll get over it. ;)

o

So I went right to Kichler as I saw some curvy styles there. This one is a nice overhead. The two light is 15", three light is 24". Love the shade and it mimics the sink edge. The stacked ridges/lines of the connector pieces mimic the tub. The sconce is also pretty and has a curved arm. Good price, good brand, available in chrome. You might do better than Ferguson's price though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kichler Ashbrook

o

Ashbrook sconce.

o

I'll never get over it! Never! The second one does look like a bow tie…or a horn. Don't you just want to squeeze one of those shades to see if it honks?

But not the Burlington!

anyway, one thing I would suggest re: the oval mirror is to mount it so that it is out from the wall a bit. The oval mirrors which are flush against the wall… I don't know, there is something off there. But the ones that have the hanging hardware on the sides that pull the mirror away from the wall are great. I think it makes a HUGE difference.

o

LOL, Tibbrix! You wouldn't want to use it in a guest bath. HONK!!!!

Those mirrors are called tilt mirrors. Mine tilts and it's nice to be able to see your lower half. Well, maybe not so nice.

That Murray Feiss has a curly one that isn't too bad. It's nickel though. I think it's better than #1. Didn't care for the overhead. That's about it--I haven't seen any I like better than what I've posted.

Now I'm chuckling about what I unintentionally posted about Murray. Tibbrix got me going with the honking. hehe

Here is a link that might be useful: Brook Haven sconce

o

Oh wow, the Brook Haven is perfect! I love it, and I love that the tulip-ing is actually squared off, which also means it works with that era of bathroom.

that's my favorite so far.

Agree that tilting a mirror downward isn't always desirable. Those dressing-room mirrors where you can see your entire backside out to be outlawed, frankly.

And actually, a horn in a guest bath is a great idea. Think about it! ;-)

o

I didn't notice that the shade was squared off. It's more visible in the overhead light photos. The three light is only 18" wide, so it's a great size. But it's backordered.

I'm wondering if you might want side sconces though since you have a ceiling light. The sconces are supposed to be better for applying make-up--no shadows.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 11:48

o

Tibbrix…lol! And not to upset you further :) …but I’ve always thought the hardware on the sides of mirrors was ugly! Can you explain more what you don’t like about the mirrors being flush?

may_flowers, Firstly, thank you for taking the time to look for all of these! I agree that the overhead lights are usually disappointing compared to the same collections’ sconces.

I was going to post the Ashbrook mock-up…and then I saw the Brook Haven sconce.
I think it’s beautiful! The overhead isn't bad, either.

But do you see something a little weird on the backplate? It looks like something electrical. Or is it just a reflection? I noticed it on the Ashbrook, too.

And Tibbrix, you’d said that chrome would hold up better. Is it more rust-resistant than nickel?

May_flowers, I suppose I could leave the bulbs out of my ceiling light if the sconces are enough.

Thanks again for the help!

photo Brookhaven_zps442070d7.jpg

photo BrookHavenbackplateenlarged_zpsedc94225.jpg

o

It's a reflection of the light itself.

With the slightly squared sides on the shades and the curved arms, the Brook Haven really is darn near perfect for your sink and faucet combo.

I did some reading on nickel and chrome. Everything I read pertained to faucets. First, as for holding up, I think you mean the plating wearing off. That shouldn't be a problem with a light that isn't touched daily like a faucet is. Or maybe nickel plating corrodes over time? Not sure.

I didn't see anything about rusting, but some nickel will tarnish and needs to be polished. Some people never see tarnishing on their faucets. I read that you can put a coating of beeswax on nickel to prevent tarnishing. You'd have to call Murray to see if there's a protective coating on the light.

o

Chrome is rust resistant. As far as the nickel, you have to find out what the metal is underneath the nickel plating. A big problem in manufacturing now is that companies have really scaled back on metallurgy and the quality of metals, suing cheap stuff under surface plating.

But, may_flowers is correct. Lights don't get touched, so they should be okay, and the coating of beeswax is a very good idea, just because bathrooms do get damp.

I think that oval mirrors flush against walls look flimsy and unfinished. That is just my opinion, of course. I do like the oval mirror in the frame.

o

Tibbrix and May_flowers,

Thanks. Do you have a preference for the overhead
or the sconces? I actually love them both.

o

May_flowers's Kichler sconces. Definitely.

o

Brook Haven is Feiss. I prefer sconces with an oval mirror.

o

Yes, they're perfect. Thanks, Tibbrix.

And thanks so much May_flowers for all your research!

Of course I'll need help with their placement...
that'll be another thread. :)

o

It was fun! You're okay with mixing chrome and nickel, right?

o

may_flowers,

I'm glad you enjoy this kind of stuff!

I'm assuming the metals will look similar enough
that most people won't notice the difference...
and that the risk of rust or corrosion isn't
significantly higher with nickel than with chrome?

Am I right? Are there other downsides to nickel?

o

jacquelynn, I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that the metal in the brushed nickel lights is actually nickel. That is what you have to find out: what is the actual metal under the veneers. Even the chrome: is the whole unit actually chrome? That sort of thing.

Usually "in brushed nickel" means nothing more than that is the coating or veneer or whatever the word is I'm looking for.

o

Plating. The base should be brass, but I bet very few lights are nowadays. Gatco has several styles of lights and bath accessories but not all have a brass base. I'm not so sure it's as crucial in a light that isn't touched.

Most people won't notice the color undertone if the two aren't right next to each other. Most people will just see it as a metal. I have PN drawer pulls and the rest of my bath is chrome. If you put a towel bar alongside the sink, I'd do nickel. If you get a chance, go to Lowe's or HD and buy a chrome and PN cabinet knob for a few bucks and look at them in your bath.

o

Plating! That's it! Thank you, may_flowers.

o

Thank you Tibbrix and May-flowers for the explanation.
I'll see if Murray Feiss will tell me what the base is.
And that's a great idea to compare the two metals in the room.

However...a new concern has emerged.
(Doesn't it always...when retrofitting an old house?)
When I asked on the Electrical forum about installing
the new electrical boxes for sconces in an old
lath and plaster wall, here's a response I got:

"I have found such walls that would not support the box. Removed a few of the exterior clapboards and nailed in a piece of 2 x 4 between the studs to support the box. Not fast nor low cost."

I guess I'll have to ask the electrician if he's experienced
in doing this. Would this deter you from sconces? :(

This post was edited by jacquelynn on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 23:53

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here