Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jukra

How to decorate a massive bedroom?

jukra
9 years ago

My friend and I found this AMAZING townhouse in a really trendy and fun part of the city. Close to his job, and to my school. We both barely having anything, so it's been a chore to find furniture. It's a pretty big place, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, large formal living and dining, and a huge finished basement. Move in date: August 1st.

The top floor is a loft-like master bedroom that is going to be mine. It's like 5-600 square feet.

It has a bathroom and a huge walk-in closet This furniture is the current renter's, so it's going. I was thinking of putting my bed in between the windows and having actual curtains for them. I'm not sure if I should put one pane on each window with those hooks on the sides to hold them open, or two on each? I was also thinking I could get some bookcases from Ikea to put along most of the left side wall. Under the small window I could put in a better looking work station. In the middle of the room where the bed and the white couch I'm thinking of a small sitting area with a TV on one of the bookcases? I don't know... There's so much that can be done with this room, haha.

Need help! Thanks :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (12)

• jukra
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, I forgot: The stairs from the 2nd floor to the attic/loft/master has no doors. You can't see up there, but how I can create a sense of privacy?

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

That's an entire studio apartment! Look into studio apartment decorating and room plans.

Can you post a sketch of where the stairs come up, and where you plan to put things?

For privacy ... use 5-7 foot tall bookcases as a privacy divider wherever it makes you feel best.

Here's one from Pinterest showing a bookcase used to make a door less public.

This post was edited by lazygardens on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 5:50

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Here's your other pic

If there's room in the nook, I would put my bed in there to make a sleeping nook, esp if it helps you get away from the skylights for darkness for sleeping...or else I would put a reading chair with a light...nooks like that can be so cozy. I would arrange a desk in one area and a sofa area with TV on the other side of the room so the room has multiple uses and purposes. I would put the sofa or a desk by the windows though as you'd want to put more daytime activities near them to get the light.

Definitely get better drapes to cover the windows and a drape across the top of the staircase entrance can also add privacy. But it's hard to suggest anything without seeing pictures.

I'm suspecting the budget is low so definitely IKEA and consignment shops and garage sales can be your friend.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

For a sense of privacy, you can create a wall using room dividers.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Is it possible to provide layout to the overall floor layout?

I also would put bed between windows - will look nice centered & has higher ceiling but hard to say without seeing total floorspace as a whole to know if best location.

I would not do double curtains on pair of windows with one of window so close to the corner. Plus black windows frames are so striking. I'd do either roll up bamboo shades or wood blinds (they make nice faux ones). If any curtains, would only do airy sheer single panel, one on each window. Probably best to decide after youve actually got your items against that wall.

Work station looks nice for that corner. If theres not direct sun coming thru that window, I would put desk facing window with seating in front of window and computer in front of wall beside window .

Agreed - what a nice room to work with, congrats !

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I have a large bedroom with very high ceilings and a tall window. After I remodeled, new drywall on walls and ceiling and painted, I hesitated bringing any of the "stuff" I had before back in. In other words, less is better in a large room like that in my opinion. Even no or minimal window coverings if privacy allows.

When you say it will be yours, do you mean just as a bedroom or will it have to become your personal living area?

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Will Jukra ever return? Fate is still unlearned. May ride forever 'neath the streets of GW, fate never to be learned.

• aputernut
    9 years ago

My Master Suite w/ensuite is 740sq. ft. had no trouble furnishing it at all. I have a sitting area, and an office area, at one end,W PC hutch desk w/extension,2 PC chairs, bookcase w/TV even a FP.2 cub chairs. Q bed, 2 night stands triple dresser, chest on chest dresser, on the other end, and beyond that is the master bathroom, w/2 walkin closets, long double vanity, garden tub, linen closet, shower room, and potty rm. And it does not look crowded.

• jukra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a really crude drawing of basically how the town house is set up. You walk into foyer where there's this nifty little stair case that leads through a small passageway to the kitchen where the stairs that go and down are. The second floor has two HUGE bedrooms, and a full bathroom. Those spiral stairs lead to the master bedroom loft area. This is kind of how I was originally seeing the room as far as layout, but I'm unsure.

Thanks for all of the quick responses!

@Lazy Gardens
    I currently have bookshelf/secretary desk combo from Ikea. I was going to buy a few more of the bookshelves. I love that picture from pintrest! I wonder if I could add a door, haha.

I looked at a lot of studio apartments and small one bedrooms before I decided to find a roommate. I have a lot of stuff that I pegged online for those spaces that would go great up in that bedroom.

@Annie
    I kind of like the idea of using the space under the small window as a bed nook, but I don't know if I'll have enough room for a bedside table. I use my bedside table for everything, lol. I'll have to measure everything out when I look at the place again tomorrow when we finalize everything. I kind of don't like where they have their bed now, but I would like to have a sofa under those windows instead of where I originally thought.

The budget isn't bad. I've saved up a lot - waiting tables = fast cash. My father and grandmother gave also me some money. I'd rather not spend all of it on furniture, but keep some of it as a rainy day fund for whatever. I did splurge on a 1500 dollar white leather sectional for the living room, but I only spent 300 on the dining room with the help of Target and Ikea. I found a really nice living room set from a discount furniture store that I could put in my room (chair and a couch). My roommate bought the washer & dryer, furniture for the basement, and a big TV. I just would need a few more things for my bedroom and a couple odds and end for the rest of the townhouse.

I'll also try to get some more pics tomorrow for around the staircase and such.

@Jaynes
    Yeah I kind of liked the idea of having a bed there so I can look up into the night sky as I lay in my bed reading, haha. I didn't think of putting blinds there. I just think that the windows are non-standard sizes and I may have difficulty finding any shades/blinds that fit without custom ordering... That could be pricey. I was thinking of doing a single panel on each window with the tie-back hooks.
    http://www.tradingbiz.com/product_images/31602/curtain-tie-backs-FP-104423.jpg

@schoolhouse -
    Yeah, I'm kind of a minimalistic person. I want enough furniture in there that will suit my needs, but not a lot of clutter. The current tenants are very artsy and eclectic and have things everywhere, haha. I would need some window coverings because just past our small back yard is another row of townhouses/apartments. And I like to walk around naked a lot. The neighbors may or may not appreciate that :P.

It's going to be a bedroom and kind of a personal living area. My friend is out of school and has a full time 9-5 job as an engineer. I'm still in that heavy partying, new part-time job every month, college student phase. We have some mutual friends, but also at the same time we do our own things. There's the first floor with a living room, dining room, and kitchen as well as the basement. But I'll probably spend a lot of time up there with friends and stuff.

@Patricia -
    Sorry, for taking so long to respond. I have a dreaded summer internship that I'm on lunch break for. I stayed up too late and was almost late :P.

@Aputernut -
    Yeah I don't think I'll have too difficult of a time furnishing it. I just am not sure what to do as far as a layout or what and exactly how much to put in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: This unit in gray-brown

This post was edited by jukra on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 12:49

• jukra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a picture of the living room to give you folks an idea on what the rest of the unit looksl ike. It seems kind of small, but it's just really cluttered, haha.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

How exciting to furnish this. For starters, check out www.apartmenttherapy.com . There are lots of neat and cool suggestions, keeping budget in mind.
    Also, start looking at craigslist for furniture, etc.

Bookcases are great as room dividers. And go for IKEA for curtains or their roller shade.

• jukra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love that website! Thanks! I found some really cool funky red leather chairs with metal arms/legs on craigslist for $100 for both!