Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancita_gw

Green paint color that goes with BM Van Cortland Blue?

nancita
9 years ago

Hi all,
This forum has helped me so much in the past. I'm hoping to get input once again.
My living room and upstairs in the hallways etc. is Van Cortland Blue by BM. I love it. I had to make a quick decision on the kitchen and I chose Edgecomb Gray. Is it ever boring but also lovely. I am looking to redo the kitchen with a something in the green family. I absolutely love BM's Hawthorne Green but it would not blend with the VC Blue in the LR.
Cabs are maple, Butterfly Green granite counters and a dark green floor. I would appreciate any suggestions. The kitchen really looks dreary at this point.
Thank you.

Comments (6)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I know the law about all greens go together, but not all blues and greens go together, so the green you MUST have will be the green that looks best with the greens you have in place, the green of the countertops and the green of the floors. You must take that into consideration more than the Van Courtland blue, which should, if necessary, be the color you change because it does not have to match some permanent structural item such as flooring and countertops.

However, Kittery Point green is depicted with the samples of vC nlue.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 5:15

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Van Courtland Blue is one of my absolute FAVORITE blues. I've got it in two rooms and wish I'd put it in my bedroom instead of the SW Languid Blue, which is pretty nice but not quite as soft as the Van Courtland.

Van Courtland is a very gray, cool blue, so I would think you'd want a gray, cool green.

BM pairs it on their site with Kittery Green. Personally, in a kitchen, if there is limited wall area, I'd go with their match of Night Shade, a chocolate brown, It would really make your green granite and floor look great. and it is gorgeous with the Van Courtland Blue.

• User
    9 years ago

I love those two colors together, Patricia! They are both greyed hues that have about the same saturation level. And, apropos of the theory that we're influenced by color names, I have to admit in this case that I am, as I was born there and KP was my first home :-)

If Nancita wants a stronger contrast, in some light Calke Green (Farrow and Ball) looks like a stronger hue of Kittery Point and it would also be a nice foil for the blue. It all depends upon the amount and type of light in the room.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Ben Moore suggests HC-119 Kittery Point Green - see link below.

When I was making a blue-and-green combo decision, I was driving myself crazy. I finally hired Funcolors to find a match for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ben Moore

• Karen
    3 years ago

I painted my exterior VC blue and sampled silver sage for

my shutters. It is beautiful and does not compete with VC blue.